Opening weekend

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Opening weekend

Postby Super Dave 32 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:49 pm

Opening weekend for ducks was not so stellar -- we only got three total. I was very thankful to get any since I really haven't seen many on ponds throughout my travels. We had one group of about 15 wigeon come to the decoys and a couple of divers. Poor shooting!

Had better luck with the dove this afternoon. Got these in about 45 minutes. I've never seen so many in one spot. Poor man's Argentina!
Attachments
Emma dove web Oct 27 2013.jpg
The good old days are now!
Super Dave 32
hunter

Re: Opening weekend

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:10 am

I can't BUY a dove this year!!!!!!!!

I'm surprised how little chatter there is on here about the weekend opener out west? Was hoping to get a feel for if there are any birds around. I personally don't have too much hope for our zone 2 opener. Haven't seen that many, and with this weather forecast for this week????? Boo. I may just set up a bigger goose water spread as oppossed to a duck spread????

Good luck to all.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby JMichigan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:02 pm

Birds are so isolated that if people found them they won't say anything. Should be better next weekend and into the season
JMichigan
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:05 pm

Drove to Missouri Friday, 3 hour trip, up 44 and there are certain ponds I always check that I know ducks use if they are in the area. On the way up there one pond had about 20 and another had about 10. Usually see close to 100 on two specific ponds if birds are in the area. On the way back Saturday afternoon I saw one bird, not looking good for the weekend.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:52 pm

Drove 100+ miles this morning checking some areas and the findings were dismal to say the least. One wetland unit I had not gone to in a couple seasons was completely dry. One spot was holding maybe 50 birds, Gaddis and Teal. Other spots were so low that there was on average 20 yards of beach, no food sources and or cover.
I maybe sitting out most of the fist part and work on some decoys for my rig and shows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby coach_1 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:19 pm

Spent the weekend working on my truck. :mad: :mad: No ducks in my area anyway so I wasn't that upset about not getting to go.
coach_1
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:36 pm

Looks like I am skipping opening weekend to go to the Auburn vs. Arkansas game and my brother is going hog hunting, might try to hunt a pond Saturday for about an hour...I am more excited about mid-Novemeber.
LiquidA45
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting