How many decoys?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

How many decoys?

Postby Stish85 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:25 am

Hello everyone,

Sorry if these questions have been answered before.

I am new to the field hunting scene and was just wondering what you guys would say is the minimum you should bring out. I know as many as I can but just wanted some input. I have been going to ND for the last few years and I am sick of mediocre results hunting sloughs, when other guys are filling up every day in the fields.

I currently have 6fb honkers, 1dz honker silhouettes, about 4dz honker shells(standard, magnum and super magnum) and 6fb mallards. Along with 4 spinners and 2 flags.

Also I plan on purchasing more decoys before I go out again next year would you suggest honker/lesser fb's or more mallards? How about using Mallard floaters in the field?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter

Re: How many decoys?

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:16 am

Everybody is going to have a different opinion, and different numbers work at different times of the year. Right now, 2 dozen canadas, a dozen mallards, a few spinners, and fresh birds should equal good hunting.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Stish85 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:26 am

Ok cool! So I guess I have plenty of decoys to give it a shot. Do you think it would be more beneficial to invest in fb Canadas or fb mallards? Again they will primarily be used in my ND trips.

Stish85
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Stish85 wrote:Ok cool! So I guess I have plenty of decoys to give it a shot. Do you think it would be more beneficial to invest in fb Canadas or fb mallards? Again they will primarily be used in my ND trips.

Neither. Silhouettes for the geese and shells or socks for the ducks. Both are just as effective as fullbodies.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:12 pm

As a general rule canada decoys will pull ducks as good or better than duck decoys but not always. I've been hunting a bean field that has only ducks in it. The geese won't go near it so I have been using the duck decoys. I'm seeing a few ducks buzz the geese across the road but the vast majority are buzzing the bean field. I personally think snow goose decoys pull ducks even better than Canada decoys.............
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Stish85 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:16 am

Thanks for the info guys

Stish85
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:32 am

I used 6 full body geese, 4 mallard floaters and a mojo this morning. Every bird I saw committed. :yes:
JCraig12
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting