GWT mount ideas

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

GWT mount ideas

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:57 am

I shot this beautiful drake earlier in the week and was wondering what others had done with theirs.
Attachments
image.jpg
Jack it up, fat chicks can't jump!
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Re: GWT mount ideas

Postby Louisiana Duck Slayer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:00 am

That is a pretty bird but, he may be loaded with pin feathers this early in the season which will limit the poses you can go with. Again though, he looks to be a nice one. I shot this one in late December and my taxi told me that he still had a few pin feathers.

Louisiana Duck Slayer
hunter

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:02 am

Yea but he's a northern bird shot him on a fight day and the hens that I breasted out with him had a nice thick layer of fat on em so I hope he's like them.
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:04 am

I Iike that mount tho I've been leanin towards the busting off the water like that.
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Postby Louisiana Duck Slayer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:17 am

I'm sure he'll come out great. My suggestion is to use a quality bird man so, even if he has issues, the taxi will bring out the best in him.

Good luck and thanks for the compliment on my bird
Louisiana Duck Slayer
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:43 pm

LDS was in a very nice way stating the obvious. He is pretty, but has obvious feathers showing that makes most taxidermists cringe. In other words that bird will most certainly be less than perfect. Look near his shoulders and scapulars, and you'll see those feathers indicating problematic areas. My guess he won't have as many pinfeathers, as undeveloped feathers. It looks like a first year bird versus a bird coming out of molt, because those feathers that are similar to a hen's feathers, are also found on juvenile birds. Juvenile birds (or first year birds) actually tend to be prettier than an older bird, at least concerning early season birds, due to the fact they don't molt like a mature bird does.

Can it be mounted? Certainly. If it's your first bird looking that nice, and is special to you, then by all means, have it mounted. In my opinion, a flying bird would be best for a bird without perfect plumage.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckman27 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:35 pm

That bird WILL have pin feathers. If I were you i'd stick him in the freezer and see if you kill something that you'd rather spend the money on later in the season. You'd hate to send that bird to the taxi and shoot a better bird later in the season and then be kicking yourself because you spent your money on what will be a less-than-perfect mount. You'll see some gwt later in the season that get a tan line around the edge of the green on their head. Really pretty birds.

That being said though, If the bird is special to you then spend the money to get it mounted.
duckman27
hunter

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:46 am

Yea that's kind of my plan, stick him in freezer and see what Ill shoot later in year. Thanks for the input!
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:21 pm

GWT mount I had done a few years ago.

"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby Silverback4jack » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:00 pm

LETEMWORK21 wrote:I shot this beautiful drake earlier in the week and was wondering what others had done with theirs.

What did you decide to go with? I dropped off my GWT today and am waiting for the taxidermist to call me with his best suggestion.
Silverback4jack
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum