Don Edwards 10/27

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Don Edwards 10/27

Postby terenceb » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:25 am

Went out to Don Edwards yesterday for an early morning hunt with my Dad. First time out this season so I had high hopes. There was a slight breeze and it was overcast, so I was already imagining ducks flying into my spread. BUT, that was not the case. Hardly any birds flying, and the few I did see did not respond to calls and were not drawn into the spreads at all. Only had two buzz the decoys and we were able to drop those two. Other than that, no ducks at all. Called it quits at 10:30 and headed home.

Anyone else experience call shy ducks this early in the season? Maybe my calling just sucks really badly haha.
Last edited by terenceb on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
terenceb
hunter

Re: Don Edwards 10/27

Postby BMan37 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:52 am

May want to edit this - Scaup are not open yet :huh:
BMan37
Newb

Postby terenceb » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:49 am

My apologies, but I actually just guessed they were those...I've uploaded a picture, but please know I did not not mean do violate any rules. I will definitely be more careful from here on out
Attachments
Duck.jpg
terenceb
hunter

Postby BMan37 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:33 pm

Goldeneye
BMan37
Newb

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:47 pm

That is a Barrows drake golden eye....appears to be a (greater) compared to the action of the scatter gun.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:49 pm

QuackerSmacker498 wrote:That is a Barrows drake golden eye....appears to be a (greater) compared to the action of the scatter gun.

First off..are you being sarcastic? This is a hen common goldeneye..... there's no greater or lesser golden eye either? :huh:

Second to the op. Before you go out hunting again maybe you should work on your bird iding abilities. Both resting and on the wing.... or at least hunt with someone who knows. Thanks.
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby terenceb » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:54 pm

spoonysmaker wrote:Second to the op. Before you go out hunting again maybe you should work on your bird iding abilities. Both resting and on the wing.... or at least hunt with someone who knows. Thanks.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I will definitely work on my ID skills. I've done nothing but pour over duck ID today...again, my sincerest apologies to everyone.
terenceb
hunter

Postby bill in san jose » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:03 pm

The LeMasters duck ID guide (a ails le on on amazon) is really easy and good for the purpose. Put it in a zip lock bag in your blind bag for reference.

..... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow a duck is watching you.
bill in san jose
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:12 pm

bill in san jose wrote:The LeMasters duck ID guide (a ails le on on amazon) is really easy and good for the purpose. Put it in a zip lock bag in your blind bag for reference.

..... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

This is a great book for waterfowlers, I've been a bird nerd since I was 8 and actually learned all of the Latin names to all the species. Gosh I need to get a life. Anyways, I've been saying it for years there needs to be a waterfowl indoctrination you must pass in order to get your federal stamp. Make the test hard and force hunters to really learn their ducks and geese and swans for that matter.

Lemasters field Id book is great for learning wings, thus this is how you confirm a species and sex( other than physically sexing the bird) reserve all jokes sickos this is a real term for biologists....obviously there is other tell tell signs and variables of identification but every waterfowl hunter needs to buy this book and familiarize themselves with all ducks, characteristics and especially ... lEARN THE WINGS !!!!!
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:28 pm

terenceb wrote:Went out to Don Edwards yesterday for an early morning hunt with my Dad. First time out this season so I had high hopes. There was a slight breeze and it was overcast, so I was already imagining ducks flying into my spread. BUT, that was not the case. Hardly any birds flying, and the few I did see did not respond to calls and were not drawn into the spreads at all. Only had two buzz the decoys and we were able to drop those two. Other than that, no ducks at all. Called it quits at 10:30 and headed home.

Anyone else experience call shy ducks this early in the season? Maybe my calling just sucks really badly haha.

By the way... A duck hunt with your dad, you guys shared time together and killed a couple ducks. Sounds like a very successful hunt to me. Congrats :thumbsup:
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby spoonysmaker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:40 pm

terenceb wrote:
spoonysmaker wrote:Second to the op. Before you go out hunting again maybe you should work on your bird iding abilities. Both resting and on the wing.... or at least hunt with someone who knows. Thanks.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I will definitely work on my ID skills. I've done nothing but pour over duck ID today...again, my sincerest apologies to everyone.

No problem man. Just trying to keep you out of trouble. The wardens out there are *****. They will make sure you know what kinda birds you have when stopped. Same warden every weekend would try to stump me. He would get my buddy every time tho. Had a warden scare my buddy at yolo on Wednesday. He had shot a ring neck and even before he pulled the trigger I had clarified t they were in fact ring necks. He walked up to the hood of the car. Grabbed the bird, looked at him and said "you know scaup are closed rite" my buddy looked at me like y bastard! Haha I told him it was a ring neck. He asked how I knew. I proceeded to tell him and he finally admitted to messing with him. It was kinda funny. :lol3:
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby bill in san jose » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Those aren't 'wardens' out there . Wardens work for the state DFW. Those are USFWS Federal Law Enforcement officers.
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow a duck is watching you.
bill in san jose
hunter

Postby afmotorsports » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:01 am

Wardens are definitely out in force at Don Edwards. So far we have experienced 100% checks and every single boat coming in has been checked while we were packing up. The warden is a young man and a duck hunter, he seems to know how to ID birds and he will check your hunting license. He was very pleasant and polite but I imagine if you dish out a bad attitude you might get a different reaction. If you have your 'ducks in a row' you should be fine but I would advise against attempting to 'bend' any rules.

And yes, there don't seem to be many birds out there yet and even the spoonies aren't really responding to the call when they're on a mission to be somewhere else. We're basically in the November doldrums and you'll be lucky to scratch out a bird here and there, don't be surprised if you go home empty handed more often than not. It's duck hunting in November, if you're really set on bringing something back for the freezer, I would suggest going elsewhere. Like Safeway.
afmotorsports
hunter

Postby terenceb » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks again everyone. Ordered my new copy of LeMasters last night!
terenceb
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting