CWA Hunt program biased or not done correctly

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, duckman2000

CWA Hunt program biased or not done correctly

Postby Duckmansmoon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:50 pm

Anyone notice that the CWA hunt program seems to have the same names either winning the hunt or being an Alt? I went and looked at the DENVERTON results and did some number crunching because I have that kind of time. I would like to think the results are random but I am starting to lean the other way. For example ... Matthew Ling was the winner for blind #3 on 11/16 but also Alt 2 on blind #2 on the same day. Same thing for Mitchell Ling on the 23rd. I guess it pays to have Ling as a last name as they seem to be picked quite often.

18. DENVERTON: Nov 16, Blind #2
a. Hunt Winner: Tim Kallas
b. 1st Alternate: Charles Gearheart
c. 2nd Alternate: Matthew Ling

19. DENVERTON: Nov 16, Blind #3
a. Hunt Winner: Matthew Ling
b. 1st Alternate: Jack Taylor
c. 2nd Alternate: Carson Cleland
---------------------------------------------------------
Same thing for Mitchell Ling on the 23rd

27. DENVERTON: Nov 23, Blind #3
a. Hunt Winner: Mitchell Ling
b. 1st Alternate: Ben Sparks
c. 2nd Alternate: Carson Cleland

28. DENVERTON: Nov 23, Blind #4
a. Hunt Winner: Jordan Ruiz
b. 1st Alternate: Hunter Cutting
c. 2nd Alternate: Mitchell Ling

----------------------------------------------------------
So I did some number crunching and came up with the following counts

Matthew Ling - pulled 4 times
Mitchell Ling - pulled 3 times
Anthony Mezzacapa - Pulled 3 times
Carson Cleland - Pulled 3 times
Tim Kallas - Pulled 4 times

There are more people that has been pulled 2 or 3 times and I have nothing against these people and I don't know them. It just seems very strange that in a random drawing that there would be multiple people drawn multiple times and for the same day hunts. Call me jaded from my time in Wilderness Unlimited where I couldn't get a duck blind or goose pit because I wasn't an old timer.
Duckmansmoon
hunter

Re: CWA Hunt program biased or not done correctly

Postby OR-7 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:27 pm

Maybe CWA is using the same program to draw as the state? :rolleyes: :help:
I don't need no stinkin' CREW!!
OR-7
hunter

Postby duxnbass » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:31 pm

I was a 2nd alternate one time.........
Take a kid hunting, the memories will last a lifetime.
duxnbass
hunter

Postby OffiSur » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:00 pm

I'm going to count my blessings... and then go buy a Lotto ticket.

I've never put in for the CWA drawings until this year. I won not one, but two #1 spots in November! :yes: :grooving: :yes:

I have noticed, however, that there are a quite a few double/triple-dippers out there. I thought it was because not very many folks are putting in for those opportunities... or, like you said, it's a glitch in the system. A beautiful, gracious glitch. :clapping:

PS: I also won a #7 res at Howard Slough for the same day as one of my Denverton draws (hmmm... decisions, decisions).
I hope I haven't played out all of my luck; I'd like to spread it out through the entire season.

Good luck for December! :beer:
OffiSur
Newb

Postby jmonte35 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:36 pm

I have a friend of mine who is drawing the CWA hunts like crazy but he has a junior. That Howard #7 I would use a TP before I made the drive. Shooting up there has been teeeeerrrriiiibbblle. No rice planted this year and it sounds like no rice next year. Not that any other place has been lights out but Howard has been exceptionally poor.
Take a kid hunting,
Jimmy
Suisun Marsh D.U. Chapter Chairman
2013 3rd annual Military Appreciation Dinner Date TBD
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SuisunMarshDU
www.suisunmarshdu.com (website down until we have next years date and info nailed down)
jmonte35
hunter

Postby PetriDuck » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:36 pm

I have put in for the past few years and never got any drawings! But i decided to donate a hunt in January to maybe boost my odds, nothing yet hahah :wink: :beer:
PetriDuck
hunter

Postby Jcleland » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:24 pm

The Denverton results posted are for a junior hunters and 2 other hunters, and for 4.00 per entry you can enter for all four blinds per hunt day, so far my jr hunter has been picked a few times as a 2nd alternate. Per the Cwa hunt program website the drawing is done by an outside party. Good luck guys.
Jcleland
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:34 pm

interesting, I know a cwa hunt that is scheduled.... Doesn't look like these hunts are supposed to be given out to a specific..
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby darkwater27 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:20 am

It seems strange...........how about somebody posts the total number of entries so we can do some percentages and such. It seems very odd that certain names are pulled more than once in a drawing....

Once we get a chance to see what are odd were, I may decide to throw my money to the state instead.
darkwater27
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:35 am

Those are all family hunt days and most likely two sons that will be accompanying their dad. Are junior hunt dates always packed at all the refuges? NOPE.

Does everyone who owns a state duck stamp a member of CWA? NOPE. They probably aren't on facebook following CWA, checking the website regularly, etc...

I think that because of these reasons, the junior hunters will draw multiple times. Its also in November so maybe the other parents who would be applying decided to hold out until dec/jan?

I would be surprised to see if the family hunt app numbers are anywhere near the same amount as the general apps. Maybe these two kids have a great mother/father (who have deep pockets :yes: ) that just flooded the cwa apps for everyday and every blind which is completely fair whether you agree with it or not.

Either way, they paid at least $28 and each person will have to pay $25 per hunt day if they go so thats $75*2 + 28 = $178 Add in an app for every hunt day for both kids and dad and you are looking at a lot of money going to CWA.

With all the BS CWA dealt with this year I can't imagine they would even contemplate adding a fixed draw scandal to the mix.

Good luck on your hunts whoever you guys are :thumbsup:
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby darkwater27 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:17 pm

The more I look at the results the more skeptical I become.....

Marc, Matthew and Mitchel all with the same last name, between these 3 guys they pulled FOUR wins, ONE 1st runner up, THREE 2nd.

One of them won a hunt two weekends in a row........

I do have one important question, am I correct that you may only apply once per date? If this is correct, these are either the luckiest guys on earth, or there is something real fishy going on......

What do you say CWA?
darkwater27
hunter

Postby LeakyW8ers » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:41 pm

darkwater27 wrote:I do have one important question, am I correct that you may only apply once per date? If this is correct, these are either the luckiest guys on earth, or there is something real fishy going on......

You can put in once per blind per hunt day. So a father with 2 sons can put in 12 times for each hunt day as Denverton has 4 blinds.

AND as AJ already pointed out, Saturdays are FAMILY hunt days so only juniors and women hunters must be part of the equation. So there are reduced applications for those days.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
LeakyW8ers
hunter

Postby DkKiller » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:46 pm

The loop is alive and well...

I drew the same refuge up north for this wed and Sat consecutive draws and low numbers where I haven't drawn since I've been putting in. Go figure... Too bad the place is shooting lousy.
DkKiller
hunter

Postby darkwater27 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:00 pm

I dono seems janky.......but that is just my opinion....everybody I've talked to from the CWA seems nice and so forth, but the way things are run seem "loose" and you know what they say loose is fast.
darkwater27
hunter

Postby Jcleland » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:19 pm

I personal have myself and two Jr hunters so for a selected day at denverton you pay 4.00 per application you can apply for all blinds on a selected shoot day so for one shoot day to aply for all blinds is 16.00 per person. Its a good way to support Cwa and you may get a hunt out of it. For the few who are concered about a possible conspiracy I encourage them to apply more to increase their odds. Its a great program for Jr hunters to get a chance to hunt some pretty good land. Also what they dont post is how many applications people applied for and didnt get picked. So maybe the selected people you guys are talking about did exactley what Aj sugguested. Maybe they paid 48.00 dollars per shoot day.
Jcleland
hunter

Postby duxnbass » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:23 pm

I have put in for Jr hunts with my son for a few years and other hunts still with my son as my partner we were a 2nd alternate one time in three years, I don't even bother with it anymore.
duxnbass
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:31 pm

duxnbass wrote:I have put in for Jr hunts with my son for a few years and other hunts still with my son as my partner we were a 2nd alternate one time in three years, I don't even bother with it anymore.

I hear ya on that.

I've put in for a lot of CWA hunts over the last few years (since it started 2 or 3 years ago? :huh: ) and was second alternate to dove this year. That's it. One out of all those apps. BUT it goes to a good place, I'm pretty sure you can claim it on your taxes (they send you a receipt) so its just another monthly fee I account for with ressie apps etc..

Like I said, I doubt CWA would want to deal with the nightmare of "fixing" a draw if it ever got out. I'm curious to know how they do it too but just because two brothers and a dad draw multiple times doesn't mean they are fixing it.

Remember the guy from Hayward back when they used to post the .pdf's of hte ressie results? It's all random chance and sometimes it can be unbelievable.

Keep up the good work CWA by offering these hunts on PRIVATE LANDS where otherwise no one would have access to them. :beer:
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby Green with Envy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:40 am

There is no bias in the draws for the CWA hunt program. There was a lack of applicants for the Denverton hunts. If you have ever hunted Denverton, then you would undertand the lack of applications. :clapping: The CWA hunt program is conducted by an outside firm. It is fine. I doubt you will see multiple draws for the better hunts at the better clubs later in the season. Perhaps CWA should just put up our hunting license numbers on the site. I don't really want people knowing if I was drawn and then seeing my name posted on a duck site. And no, I wasn't drawn either, much like the DFG draw. LMAO
Green with Envy
hunter

Postby duxnbass » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:00 am

Green with Envy wrote:There is no bias in the draws for the CWA hunt program. There was a lack of applicants for the Denverton hunts. If you have ever hunted Denverton, then you would undertand the lack of applications. :clapping: The CWA hunt program is conducted by an outside firm. It is fine. I doubt you will see multiple draws for the better hunts at the better clubs later in the season. Perhaps CWA should just put up our hunting license numbers on the site. I don't really want people knowing if I was drawn and then seeing my name posted on a duck site. And no, I wasn't drawn either, much like the DFG draw. LMAO

I am feeling the dfw draw blues to, 340+ in apps and nothing yet! Grrrrrrrr :sad:
duxnbass
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:06 am

duxnbass wrote:
Green with Envy wrote:There is no bias in the draws for the CWA hunt program. There was a lack of applicants for the Denverton hunts. If you have ever hunted Denverton, then you would undertand the lack of applications. :clapping: The CWA hunt program is conducted by an outside firm. It is fine. I doubt you will see multiple draws for the better hunts at the better clubs later in the season. Perhaps CWA should just put up our hunting license numbers on the site. I don't really want people knowing if I was drawn and then seeing my name posted on a duck site. And no, I wasn't drawn either, much like the DFG draw. LMAO

I am feeling the dfw draw blues to, 340+ in apps and nothing yet! Grrrrrrrr :sad:

wowsa! there hasn't been enough draw dates so far to use up that $340 yet has there??

250+ applications1?!?!

:thumbsup: You gotta draw something... :beer:
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby Green with Envy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:56 pm

duxnbass wrote:I am feeling the dfw draw blues to, 340+ in apps and nothing yet! Grrrrrrrr :sad:

Sounds like you need a serious slump buster. :beer:

That's quite a few app's. Is that for just this year or the last 3 years? :huh:
Green with Envy
hunter

Postby duxnbass » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:25 pm

That is for this year split between my son & I, I was a member of a club in the grasslands for 7 years but this year they raised the price so high they priced me out. I am fortunate that my son and daughter and girlfriend like to hunt and we try to hunt every weekend and the last half of the season wednesdays, so 340 in apps vs 3500 for the blind I am still money ahead but I haven't drawn a ressi in three years. Even though we had the club we like venture out once in a while so we average about 50 apps a year but it has been a long dry run so I was hoping to draw some blinded refuges, I haven't lost hope we are keeping our fingers crossed for some late season draws!
duxnbass
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:10 am

duxnbass wrote:That is for this year split between my son & I, I was a member of a club in the grasslands for 7 years but this year they raised the price so high they priced me out. I am fortunate that my son and daughter and girlfriend like to hunt and we try to hunt every weekend and the last half of the season wednesdays, so 340 in apps vs 3500 for the blind I am still money ahead but I haven't drawn a ressi in three years. Even though we had the club we like venture out once in a while so we average about 50 apps a year but it has been a long dry run so I was hoping to draw some blinded refuges, I haven't lost hope we are keeping our fingers crossed for some late season draws!

I hope you guys pull some, that's one hell of a dry spell. :thumbsup: :beer:
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby darkwater27 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:43 am

Well at the end of the day, if the odds are that much worse that the state lotto, and its 4.00 per app, I'll stick with state apps...

matter of fact I should go apply for some more dates.....
darkwater27
hunter

Postby duxnbass » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:26 am

darkwater27 wrote:Well at the end of the day, if the odds are that much worse that the state lotto, and its 4.00 per app, I'll stick with state apps...

matter of fact I should go apply for some more dates.....

That's why I stopped applying.......around a hundred a year for three years and no draws I'm out, I flooded the state apps and optimistic for the late season.....until then huntin the fuges I can walk onto and have been doin fine, its not about how many in the bag its about b n there and spend in time with family and freinds
duxnbass
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting