Hyde vs Pamlico

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Hyde vs Pamlico

Postby NCfowl » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:33 am

Which county would you want an impoundment in? Hyde may have a few more birds but way more competition compared to Pamlico.. This being said, both impoundments very well managed and same habitat and food in it.
NCfowl
hunter

Re: Hyde vs Pamlico

Postby HydeMarsh » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:01 pm

very tough question. even in those counties (Hyde and Pamlico) impoundments close to each other may vary a great deal in quality (even with food and layout the same) - ducks go where ducks want to go. Any spot that would attract a duck in Hyde probably has an impoundment on it. Probably not for sale - at least nothing on the market now. If it is for sale there is a reason (see first observation).
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby mwp1023 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:03 pm

The impoundments that hold the most birds are the ones that aren't hunted. Doesn't matter if its Hyde or Pamlico.

That said when I retire I'm moving to Hyde.
mwp1023
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:09 pm

What's the point of having it if you don't hunt it? I aint no bird watcher..... :biggrin:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:04 pm

I would want it in Hyde. nothing against Pamlico. Still though, weather plays a key role in great success in them from my experience. bluebird days are still bluebird days. rain, sleet, snow, rough weather in the sound = positive results. chase divers and sea ducks when the impoundment is empty.
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:03 pm

NCfowl wrote:Which county would you want an impoundment in? Hyde may have a few more birds but way more competition compared to Pamlico.. This being said, both impoundments very well managed and same habitat and food in it.

Like mentioned, I'd want to know why the person is selling. Also how long have they owned it and to show me all hunt/kill logs. I'd want names and phone #s of members (if the were a club) and the same from anyone who leased it. If it truly has been managed properly, then all of these should be readily available. If they balk, run. Doesn't matter the county.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:25 pm

Nothing is for sale, sorry for not making that clear haha.. just a question :thumbsup:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby RNT_MAN » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:36 pm

You guys realize that for the price of an impoundment in either of those counties you could go to the mississippi flyway, rent a house, and see more ducks in 2 days than you would in a whole season in Hyde or Pamlico? When i was stationed in NC the prices of hunting in those two counties blew my mind.
"Blow blow cold north wind, blow those mallard greenheads in.."
"Kill counts are for snipers and fighter pilots, not duck hunters."
RNT_MAN
hunter

Postby Doubleplay » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:05 am

RNT_MAN wrote:You guys realize that for the price of an impoundment in either of those counties you could go to the mississippi flyway, rent a house, and see more ducks in 2 days than you would in a whole season in Hyde or Pamlico? When i was stationed in NC the prices of hunting in those two counties blew my mind.

Well put. :hammer:
Doubleplay
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Yep, sure do. And I usually go to Saskatchewan every year, rent a house and hunt for a week. And I see and shoot more waterfowl there each trip than I would in years of hunting here. But it ain't all about the numbers. Some people, especially when they get older, find it more rewarding and take great pride in "cultivating" there very own place. They might not kill all that many birds at first but the feeling one gets when it finally all comes together can be far better than to go OOS, pay a guide to put you out in a blind, and then tell you when you can shoot. Even if you kill a limit every time.

I personally think its a great idea for hunters of ALL ages to look at securing ( by owning, leasing, or club membership) a place to duck hunt. Public land and opportunities are dwindling every year in this state. And yes, you can pay to go to other great duck destinations but you probably can't pack up and leave on a whim or as often as you like if you had your own place. It all boils down to what you like best.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:20 pm

Shurshot wrote:Yep, sure do. And I usually go to Saskatchewan every year, rent a house and hunt for a week. And I see and shoot more waterfowl there each trip than I would in years of hunting here. But it ain't all about the numbers. Some people, especially when they get older, find it more rewarding and take great pride in "cultivating" there very own place. They might not kill all that many birds at first but the feeling one gets when it finally all comes together can be far better than to go OOS, pay a guide to put you out in a blind, and then tell you when you can shoot. Even if you kill a limit every time.

I personally think its a great idea for hunters of ALL ages to look at securing ( by owning, leasing, or club membership) a place to duck hunt. Public land and opportunities are dwindling every year in this state. And yes, you can pay to go to other great duck destinations but you probably can't pack up and leave on a whim or as often as you like if you had your own place. It all boils down to what you like best.

:beer: Very Well put. This is what I am thinking to a T. I guide now but for a guy with really good land, but would like my own family land to manage and turn into something really nice for future operation.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby Doubleplay » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:36 am

Shurshot wrote:Yep, sure do. And I usually go to Saskatchewan every year, rent a house and hunt for a week. And I see and shoot more waterfowl there each trip than I would in years of hunting here. But it ain't all about the numbers. Some people, especially when they get older, find it more rewarding and take great pride in "cultivating" there very own place. They might not kill all that many birds at first but the feeling one gets when it finally all comes together can be far better than to go OOS, pay a guide to put you out in a blind, and then tell you when you can shoot. Even if you kill a limit every time.

I agree with most of what you said. As I get older I would like to get my own place as well. But unfortunately NC is not the state to do that easily.It's very crowded and is very weather dependent.
Doubleplay
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting