back of the head feathers...

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

back of the head feathers...

Postby kyle916 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:51 pm

I just did my first bird (mallard). very proud at how it came out- for a first time. I have a question though. I used the real skull and did the incision behind the head and about two inches down the back of the neck. I got it all sewed up and everything looks good except their are some feathers that won't lay down nicely. the stitch is good. what can I use to smooth those little feathers down??
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Re: back of the head feathers...

Postby duxrus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:25 pm

Odds are you pulled the stitch tight. If you did then there is no "wiggle room" and some of the feathers will get twisted . I would either pull those feathers out( if there are only a few) or trim with scissors. If it hasn't had time to dry much then the ol "spit" trick may still save you . Wet a finger with spit and brush the feathers flat. The spit should hold them in place long enough for the skin to start drying and help hold them....or for e them flat with a piece of tape until dry

I leave a VERY loose stitch. You can easily see through it once done if you hit it with air. This give you flexibility in preening a nice flat contour instead of having a crest to deal with.

I hope this helps
duxrus
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:21 pm

dux- thanks for the response. i'll try the wet-it/ smooth it down with finger. if that doesn't work, I'll try and pluck them... I didn't even think of that. thanks again.
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:51 pm

Sound about like what I did. :) Good luck!
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum