layout boat for geese

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

layout boat for geese

Postby utarchery » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:41 pm

what is going to be the best way to hunt geese out of a layout boat? how big should my spread be out in the middle of big open water? has anyone done this before?
utarchery
hunter

Re: layout boat for geese

Postby blackrock » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:06 pm

image.jpg
Here you go buddy! This was this morning, my buddy from Arizona had never shot a Canada goose. That all changed when he limited on geese and ducks in 45 minutes. We only put out about 18 goose decoys, as the waves were about 2 feet and getting higher as the wind here always builds towards afternoon. Just try to set up where you see geese, or in the flyway. Get em where they live.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:55 pm

That thing sticks out like a sore toe in that water too! amazed you got those geese to work at all. You ever consider painting it a darker color?
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby blackrock » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:25 pm

image.jpg
dsm, there are a couple color options from Lake Bonneville, including some new ones. I picked the gray because its supposed to blend in with more water conditions than others. I'm no expert, but most layout boats have historically been some shade of gray. The water we were in that day was pretty muddy looking, because I set up over shallow mud in waves. Usually it's more clear. That being said, the only birds we had flare were the high puddle ducks that could look down and see something they didn't like, whether its the outline of the boat, a devious hunter laying in wait, or the color I don't know. We still have had great luck with puddlers too, see this pic from a bluebird day before the storm. The real advantage of these style layouts is the super low profile. With the skirt down, it's only 6 inches above the water line, with a diminishing curve shape that blends the edge of the boat in to the water. Any birds that are low, or reasonably low, don't see anything until its too late for them! It also helps that the Bonne boats can have magnets in the hull to hold decoys on top of the boat. My buddy had geese fly in, land and swim around. They didn't get shot because he had already limited. It's an exciting way to hunt!
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:26 am

image.jpg
Here you go......
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:42 pm

image.jpg
Today my hunting buddy got his first triple on geese! Five honkers came right in, locked up in to the spread. Only two left. Then, a few minutes later, two came in and one left. I came in to pick them up and two were banded, his first banded Canada's, what a day in the Bonne.
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:00 pm

image.jpg
Rocked em again today!
blackrock
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:04 pm

You forgot to add the use of Mags and supermags. Very creative idea there.
DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:29 pm

Yes, that is devastating on the water. You can't compare the visibility of 42" floaters compared to standard size floaters. Geese commit to them, and clouds of ducks come in sometimes cupped. I can't claim credit for the idea, however as soon as I saw how effective they are, I immediately converted all my supermag shells to water use!
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:49 am

image.jpg
Hiding in the ice and stickers! The LBLB with cover is amazing.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:49 am

image.jpg
Happy buddy!
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:23 pm

image.jpg
I think I'll make some jerky........
image.jpg
I finally got in the boat again.
image.jpg
View from the office yesterday!
blackrock
hunter

Postby Dr^ke » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:43 pm

What kind of layout boat is it?
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:58 pm

Drake, it's a Lake Bonneville Big Brother. We've been really happy with it and its super effective!
blackrock
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:21 pm

utarchery wrote:what is going to be the best way to hunt geese out of a layout boat? how big should my spread be out in the middle of big open water? has anyone done this before?

Depends on the area. As long as the birds are flying low across your area you can run as few or as many as you want. However, recently my more productive spread has been 3-4 dozen birds.

I usually don't target geese much as they don't raft up often where I duck hunt. However I usually run a couple lines of goose floaters off to the side of the spread. I've had geese drop right in on them before.

I really like how black rock converted those field shells into floaters. Visibility alone was worth it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Professor Chaos » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:44 pm

what conversion did you do to make those shells into floaters? are you running foam cut outs inside the shell?
Believe Everything You Read On The Internet
Professor Chaos
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:48 pm

Professor Chaos wrote:what conversion did you do to make those shells into floaters? are you running foam cut outs inside the shell?

pipe insulation around the circumference.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Sammyshonker » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:07 pm

Nelliboy2 wrote:
Professor Chaos wrote:what conversion did you do to make those shells into floaters? are you running foam cut outs inside the shell?

That;s brilliant! Why didn't i think of that!!
"Until then, I'm gonna fear God, love my neighbor, and kill ducks, and let the cards fall where they may..."
Phil Robertson
Sammyshonker
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:42 pm

Sammyshonker wrote:
Nelliboy2 wrote:

That;s brilliant! Why didn't i think of that!!

Don't look at me. Black rock is the one who came up with it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Nelliboy2
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum