Still my favorite...

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Still my favorite...

Postby R-Factor » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:35 pm

duck to eat...good ole' Woodrows! I just finished marinating two and threw them in the skillet...life is good! I really enjoy mallards, blacks, teal, ringers, and goldeneyes too, but every season I always come to the same conclusion. Wood ducks are my all time favorite bird cuisine. :smile: Iron Chef makes a marinade in an orange ginger flavor that is killer on those little buggers. The local Hannaford here in Lincoln used to carry it, but now I have to special order it with them...try it if you can find it local!
R-Factor
hunter

Re: Still my favorite...

Postby papageno » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:13 pm

Woodies are good eats! Just right between mild and gamey.
papageno
hunter

Postby jperkins » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:08 am

Woodies and ringers have always been my favorites. Inner breasts are always eaten right away with S&P and butter. I made duck 'poppers' for the first time a few weeks ago; definitely going to make some for the boys at deer camp this weekend. One of my favorite dishes includes deglazing the skillet with orange juice and adding mango chunks.
I thought my calling would bring in the ducks, now I realize it's the sound of me peeing that works best...
jperkins
hunter

Postby McManusClan5 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:00 am

My youngest (9) was on a field trip to a local conservation area with school on Monday where they were talking about how woodies nest and such. Right after they talk about the mother flying down from the hole in a tree and the ducklings having to jump down to her he...

... says he had one for dinner last night and that they taste really good, too! :lol3: Guess he agrees with you.

He said he got a couple odd looks from the moms on the trip. :eek: I bet (this IS Mass, after all).

Still makes me laugh. :yes:

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby Paddles Down » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:23 pm

Woodies, mallards and teal are my favorites. Granted I eat them all though. My favorite way to eat make them into diablo's. This way works specially well for those gamier birds.
Paddles Down
Paddles Down
hunter

Postby Hutch25 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Went to camp this weekend for some lates eason salmon fishing, and one of the meals we had was Duck Pizza....I had never had duck as a pizza meat, but it was stellar! Woodies and goose mixed, on a fine pizza crust, some cheese, and sauce-top shelf. Had eider on the grill soaked in speedie sauce that was eqally great.

Hutch
Hutch25
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting