Boat Blind Ideas

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Boat Blind Ideas

Postby Skye Bustin' » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:23 pm

2013-10-09 17.58.44.jpg
2013-10-09 17.58.44.jpg (21.71 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
I've got this 14' crapper boat that I inherited years ago and I'm trying to come up with ways of "blinding" it without actually putting a blind on it. So I'm reaching out to those that have WAY more experience than I do and I'm looking for a few fresh ideas.

Let me lay out the specifics I'm looking for. Feel free to say if my ideas are terrible or mediocre. I've attached a picture to better acquaint you with my boat. My thought was to sit between the benches to keep a low silhouette, with some type of netting or blind material covering the rest of the boat.

1. I'm not wanting a scissor blind or any other blind that "pops" up. Trying to keep a low profile, as this boat is no layout boat.
2. It needs to be semi cheap to "build"
3. Be able to allow 2 hunters and a dog to hide/shoot but still stay hidden for the most part

Fire away any and all ideas. :sniper:
Skye Bustin'
hunter

Re: Boat Blind Ideas

Postby dwhite16 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:59 pm

What I was planning on doing to my boat this season is get a thing of cattle panel and make a lay down blind. Lay the cattle panel out over the gunnels cut out a place to lean against the side, zip tie some camp burlap on the panel, then zip tie brush to the thing and you got a lay down blind. :thumbsup:
Pretty cheap too!
dwhite16
hunter

Postby Skye Bustin' » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:36 pm

That's a good idea. I'll look in to that. Thanks
Skye Bustin'
hunter

Postby dwhite16 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:47 pm

Let me know if u decide on it, how it works. I'm in college 8hrs away from my jon boat so I haven't put anything into action yet. Make a few slanted backrest, and maybe cut the panel in two pieces so you can lift it up to put decoys under it. Good luck!
dwhite16
hunter

Postby T Man » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:50 pm

dwhite16 wrote:What I was planning on doing to my boat this season is get a thing of cattle panel and make a lay down blind. Lay the cattle panel out over the gunnels cut out a place to lean against the side, zip tie some camp burlap on the panel, then zip tie brush to the thing and you got a lay down blind. :thumbsup:
Pretty cheap too!

Sounds like a pretty good idea

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Jon Bergren » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:52 am

I use 12 8ft 1x2's pointed and painted flat brown. I stick them in the water/mud at an angle with the top of the 1 x 2 4ft above the boat. Then I drape camaflage around the boat. I keep the 1 x 2's tied in a bundle when not in use and the camo in a burlap bag. You can fix it so you can back the boat out to retrieve ducks. works great in tall weeds or cattails and is very cheap and effective. Worked two Labs out of this setup also. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby imi90 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:09 am

I’ve never actually duck hunted from a raft. I’ve duck hunted for a long time and guided class V whitewater, and hunted from my whitewater kayak, so I might know a bit about how it could work (or could go very badly, including drowning yourself).
Leather jackets http://ileatherjackets.org.uk/
000-035 exam questions 000-035 exam questions
gre practice questions gre practice questions
Braindumps itil v3 dumps
imi90
Newb

Postby SATX duckman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:12 am

Just an idea I was going to throw around. I was thinking of lowering my boat blind to something with less of a profile.
Seeing as how your boat interior is green I would purchase about two or three of those max4 camo nets. Think they are 16X5. sew them together so the seam runs down the middle of your boat. drape it over the boat and zip tie copper tubing insulation (looks like smaller grey pool noodles) from home depot to the portion that will sit in the water to take away the outline of your boat. From there you can cut out strips of the netting leaving one side attached and zip tie washers to the other side. We do this in my blind and it works great. The washer keep the strips in place and we just stand up between the strips and they fall right off as you stand. All in all should set you back less the $50 and it will be very easy to roll or fold up for transport.
just an idea
SATX duckman
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds