Lake/Sumter County Hunting

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Lake/Sumter County Hunting

Postby ummike » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:13 pm

Hello everybody I'm Mike...Grew up in Leesburg and have been a deer hunter for most of my life in the Paisley area..I am 34 years old and due to my forth back operation I can no longer make it to and up my tree stand..My hunting buddy and I purchased a 15ft john boat with a 20hp motor and have made it ready to duck hunt..Problem is we have hunted deer, hogs, doves but never duck..Was hoping that someone could point us in the right direction to find ducks and any advice to help from making to many rookie mistakes would be appreciated.. Thanks
ummike
Newb

Re: Lake/Sumter County Hunting

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:02 pm

ummike wrote:Hello everybody I'm Mike...Grew up in Leesburg and have been a deer hunter for most of my life in the Paisley area..I am 34 years old and due to my forth back operation I can no longer make it to and up my tree stand..My hunting buddy and I purchased a 15ft john boat with a 20hp motor and have made it ready to duck hunt..Problem is we have hunted deer, hogs, doves but never duck..Was hoping that someone could point us in the right direction to find ducks and any advice to help from making to many rookie mistakes would be appreciated.. Thanks

Welcome to the forum. I can tell you now that nobody is going to hand feed you spots or anything. Tips on what to look for and how to's is not an issue, but you need to scout. Google earth is a hunters best friend. Start looking for public water and read over the states rules and regulations and brush up on your duck ID. You don't want to go out guns a blazing and kill a federally protected bird. It happens. Start by getting on public accessed water and look for birds, vegetation, shallow areas with a food source, etc. Lot of good and helpful guys on here.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby ummike » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:38 am

Thanks...Yea i understand the privacy of good spots :)
ummike
Newb

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:45 am

ummike wrote:Thanks...Yea i understand the privacy of good spots :)

No problem. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Sent from my iPhone3 using Tapatalk 28
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby ummike » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:03 pm

On my fwc when i go to buy my licenses I get hunting lic...Migratory game permit..waterfowl permit they are all good for a year but when i click on fed duck stamp is says 45 day permit? Do i have to get another one in 45 days?
ummike
Newb

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:25 pm

ummike wrote:On my fwc when i go to buy my licenses I get hunting lic...Migratory game permit..waterfowl permit they are all good for a year but when i click on fed duck stamp is says 45 day permit? Do i have to get another one in 45 days?

No what it is saying is if you don't receive your federal stamp within 45 days you need to call FWC. You are better off going to your local post office and getting one in person. Just ask them for a duck stamp. Attach it to the back of your license and sign the face of the stamp. If you don't then it is void basically.

Sent from my iPhone3 using Tapatalk 28

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby ummike » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:42 pm

Thanks again
ummike
Newb

Return to Florida Duck Hunting