Tidal Hunting

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck

Tidal Hunting

Postby greatwhite » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:22 pm

If the high tide isn't until the afternoon, are you better off hunting the smaller pockets of water during low tide at first light, or waiting and not going until an hour or two before high tide in the afternoon? I know the high tide is usually better, I just have a hard time not going at first light! Also, looks like we may have a good bit of wind and some rain this weekend, hopefully that will help things.
greatwhite
hunter

Re: Tidal Hunting

Postby T-Bone » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:57 am

Yes, you can hunt at low tide; if you find pocket tidal water on the flat with a good hide area. Just remember the time of the high tide; so you can backup or bailout, if necessary.

Tom
T-Bone
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:23 am

Morning shoots are always a good option, if you can get set up where the birds are flying. Low or high tide, you will have the birds flying at light. Low tide allows them to feed on the tide flats. I have pulled final approach blinds out and shot them over full body decoys or just decoys set up on the flats. Just remember that tide comes in quickly and can leave you stranded. Hunting the incoming tide is another good time as it starts to kick the birds off the tidal flats and gets them moving closer to shore.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Just Hunt » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:09 am

H20 hit it. Just don't be that guy that blows out his jet trying to get out at LST. That scares birds in 3 counties.
Just Hunt
hunter

Postby greatwhite » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:49 pm

Good deal, thanks for the tips. Think I may try the low tide at first light one morning, and the rising tide in the afternoon the next.
greatwhite
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting