Pintail decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Pintail decoys

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:24 am

Wanting to add some more Pintails to the spread and want some opinions before I pull the trigger. I would really like some G&H pintails but not at @ $110 for 1/2 a dozen and I am not looking to spend $140 to get Dakotas because I don't need a full dozen. So I have narrowed it down to Tanglefree and GHG progrades. I really like the different postures of the progrades but am scared about the paint, Tanglefree looks good but I have never had any and don't know what to expect from them. Any thoughts?
LiquidA45
hunter

Re: Pintail decoys

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:55 am

I have GHG lifesize pintails they have held up great.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:35 am

GHG Pro Grades are my favorite duck decoy. I used a dozen LS Pintails up until they came out with the Pro Grades and their great too.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:43 am

I think I am going to pull the trigger on the Pro Grades and hope I don't get a "rare" batch of bad ones.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:46 am

LiquidA45 wrote:I think I am going to pull the trigger on the Pro Grades and hope I don't get a "rare" batch of bad ones.

Let us know if they chip paint right out of the box. I've been waiting on a review for these.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:51 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:I think I am going to pull the trigger on the Pro Grades and hope I don't get a "rare" batch of bad ones.

Let us know if they chip paint right out of the box. I've been waiting on a review for these.

If they do I'll send them to Mr. Webber. :beer:
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:30 pm

Got to nervous about the paint issues...picked up brand new redhead brand pintails for $15 on CL to get me through the season. Just going to save the money for G&H, I would rather pay a premium now and not have to replace them for at least a decade. I wish Avian made some other species besides mallards.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:24 pm

Don't buy Dakotas. There are some posts about serious color problems on this years run of pintails in both hens and drakes.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby cowboykerk » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:38 am

Try looking at the redhead reality series. 1/2 dozen for just under $50. I got some, they're light weight and look pretty good. Pretty durable with all the hunting I do.
cowboykerk
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:04 am

cowboykerk wrote:Try looking at the redhead reality series. 1/2 dozen for just under $50. I got some, they're light weight and look pretty good. Pretty durable with all the hunting I do.

I looked at those, not that it matters but I think it's funny that the drakes don't have a sprig. I picked up some Redhead pintail decoys of CL for $15 that I will use until I can get some G&H. I plan on trying to build my spread out of mostly G&H with Avian-X mallards mixed in.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby cowboykerk » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Strange, all of my drakes had one.
cowboykerk
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:20 pm

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Reality-Series-Pintail-Decoys/product/1305281528/

Drake tail sprig slightly shorter than life-size for easier handling and less snagging in your decoy bag.

Not saying there is anything wrong with it, functionally it makes sense and I doubt the birds notice.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby amen0037 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:38 pm

If you're ever worried about the paint chipping on the GHG's just hit them with some Krylon 1311 with three light coats. I hit my GHG's ever year before the start of the season and clean them with soap and warm water before I put them away. I have yet to have a problem with paint chipping on any of my decoys. I could understand the paint chipping if they decoys are texas rigged and thrown into your truck every time.
amen0037
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:03 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
cowboykerk wrote:Try looking at the redhead reality series. 1/2 dozen for just under $50. I got some, they're light weight and look pretty good. Pretty durable with all the hunting I do.

I looked at those, not that it matters but I think it's funny that the drakes don't have a sprig. I picked up some Redhead pintail decoys of CL for $15 that I will use until I can get some G&H. I plan on trying to build my spread out of mostly G&H with Avian-X mallards mixed in.

Doesnt matter. Guys I hunt with used to clip the sprigs off with snips so they wouldnt tangle in the decoy bags.

I have a half doz GHG oversized tails and really like them. They have held their paint VERY well. I bought them for $50 with free shipping from rogers.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:19 pm

Take a look at Flambeau's StormFront pintails. I've put 15 hunts on them so far this year and the paint is only chipping on one of the drakes. They are larger than the GHG Lifesize, just as detailed, just as good as far as poses, and the price is comparable.

Tried to buy some ProGrade pintails from Mac's recently, and they no longer carry them. :crying:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Bunker » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:23 pm

amen0037 wrote:If you're ever worried about the paint chipping on the GHG's just hit them with some Krylon 1311 with three light coats. I hit my GHG's ever year before the start of the season and clean them with soap and warm water before I put them away. I have yet to have a problem with paint chipping on any of my decoys. I could understand the paint chipping if they decoys are texas rigged and thrown into your truck every time.

X2

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:48 am

ScaupHunter wrote:Don't buy Dakotas. There are some posts about serious color problems on this years run of pintails in both hens and drakes.

I don't have a serious problem with mine.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby mudpack » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:36 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:Don't buy Dakotas. There are some posts about serious color problems on this years run of pintails in both hens and drakes.

I don't have a serious problem with mine.

Only serious duck hunters do.

Seriously.

:biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:40 pm

amen0037 wrote:If you're ever worried about the paint chipping on the GHG's just hit them with some Krylon 1311 with three light coats. I hit my GHG's ever year before the start of the season and clean them with soap and warm water before I put them away. I have yet to have a problem with paint chipping on any of my decoys. I could understand the paint chipping if they decoys are texas rigged and thrown into your truck every time.

Heck I coated half of my GHG life size ducks, didnt bother with the other half.... they all look about the same. minor chipping here and there.. they still look dang good (at least I'm impressed) after 4 seasons now all of which have been on Texas rigs, thrown in the truck, decoy sled, and boat.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum