Duck Hunting Forum banner

New Ducks?

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  SWG 
#1 ·
Anybody seeing any new ducks around? Not asking to reveal your spots because we all know how that goes. Also, whats the deal with the sandbar and the lamprey signs? Anyone know when you can go back out there?

#3 ·
I have hunted two to three times each week since the opener. In the areas I hunt, the teal and woodies have left. We had some geese but they "all" bailed out last Saturday. Even the golf-course geese are gone. Very little around. A few bluebills came through about two weeks ago Saturday. This past Sunday, I saw two very small groups of mallards that I think were local...they were super shy and preferred the white-capped rollers in the middle of the lake to the marsh. It is pretty quite out there now. A trapper friend once said I would hunt even if there weren't any ducks. I guess he was right.

#8 ·
Guys... no worries. The birds will be here... it's that transition period where the only open season is duck hunting; there is a ton of pressure. Not cold enough for long enough yet to bring new birds in. They will be here... everytime this year the birds get shy and the swamps get vacant.

Colder temps are in the forecast (much colder than this time last year)... keep the faith friends... they will come.

I'm thinking Thanksgiving week is going to be good...

Nick

#9 ·
Nick,

I hope you're right, this is downright depressing south of Route 4. I will definately be at next years meetings to push for a longer split and continuation of our season to the end of December. I can hunt next door in NY until Jan 7th for Canada geese and last year I drove by flocks of birds in VT fields on my way home every day. :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.