set up or ambush?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

set up or ambush?

Postby frydaddy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:50 pm

my son has found a couple fields that about 300 to 400 cans have been settling in and got permission to hunt. we have a dozen can shells and about 100 tx snow rags. i want to duck hunt sat morning and then go ambush the geese or try and pass shoot them from the tree line. he wants to try and set up the deeks and wait on the geese. what do you guys think?? should we put out all the deeks we have or is it better to just go with the canada shells. also i was thinking that if we put the shells out about 100yds from the tree line we could still shoot them as they come over the trees. or should we dig in in the field. i think one thing that will be in our favor is we are in tx and sat is opening day here.
frydaddy
hunter

Re: set up or ambush?

Postby frydaddy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:55 pm

one other thing they have not been showing up at the same time, they trickle in 10 to 30 at a time but pretty much from the same direction.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby Diver Slayer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:45 pm

Set-up the goose shells in the exact spot the geese have been feeding. Forget the rags. Depending what kind of stubble or what kind of field it is, cover up with some burlap or dig layout blinds into the grounds. Let them decoy right to you out there. You'll get much more enjoyment out of that than blasting at them when they come over the trees.
Diver Slayer
hunter

Postby GunNRun » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:25 pm

Ya say ya open Saturday? Ambush 'em FRIDAY...they'll never expect it!
GunNRun
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:14 pm

should have listened to gun n run i guess. we duck hunted sat morning and then went to see if we cld find the geese and they spent the weekend about 10miles up river from where he had permission to hunt. thats ok we hammered the ducks sat and sunday
frydaddy
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum