Cove or Point?

Topics on New York hunting on the Delaware river to discuss, Delaware duck hunting, tactics and more.

Moderator: Daffy Ducking

Cove or Point?

Postby ajkissin » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:01 am

I have a spot in mind and I am torn as to where to set up. I've scouted the spot a few times but haven't seen any consistent enough patterns to make it an obvious choice.

So my question is... Where do you prefer to set up, In the back of a cove or on a point in a marsh?

I know the wind will play a factor in the decision. I'm thinking point to increase visibility, but the cove just seems more "ducky" in my opinion.

Thanks!
ajkissin
hunter

Re: Cove or Point?

Postby Montauker » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:08 pm

I only like points for divers. It provides visability.

I'd say cove, but with the caveat that birds will still be able to see your decoys while flying their normal path.

If you're on a river or creek (say anything less than 50yrds wide) I'd probably take the point then too.
Montauker
hunter

Postby TrapperRob » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:59 pm

Look at what birds like...I notice that they like to bunch up in the protected cove, If water isn't moving fast.
But , they like to line up on edges of points when water is flowing.

Give me credit when this works!!!
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:53 am

i would say point because if you cheat it a little you can cover both. Unless their on/in two different spots.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Return to Delaware Duck Hunting