Everything you need to know about steel and chokes

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Everything you need to know about steel and chokes

Postby orphanedcowboy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:13 am

NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Re: Everything you need to know about steel and chokes

Postby BBK » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:50 pm

What a bunch of uninformed bafoons
BBK
hunter

Postby vlb » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:22 pm

:no: :yes: :no: :lol:
vlb
hunter

Postby John Duck » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:46 pm

What we know is that after market chokes are not needed and steel SUCKS compared to lead!!!!
John Duck
hunter

Postby RockedEm » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:00 am

Quite a bit of misinformation, but always enjoy watching folding ducks.

2:24 - "while steel is faster than lead, it is also denser" Assume this has to be a slip of the tongue.

"Modified Choke tubes, extended outside the barrel encourage irresponsible shots." ??? And guns encourage crime?
Please, Modified Choke tubes in of my guns only throws an IC type pattern.

Again, I love all duck hunters....well most, there aren't enough of us, but....
How does someone talk about choke tubes and loads and not ONCE talk about patterning your shotgun?

Regardless of the "ounce load" or payload of the shell, it may pattern like crap.
I have seen a lot of 1 3/8oz payloads that pattern terribly with holes the size of a duck at 40 yards.
At the same time a 7/8oz load of 3's may pattern beautifully out of a gun/choke combo.

RockedEm
RockedEm
hunter

Postby Garage » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:12 pm

extended chokes might not be needed if you shoot over decoys at 20 yards......but some of us who pass shoot geese might need radical ideas......T shot, F shot, BBB shot, extended chokes, lots and lots of powder, custom slit wads, buffer, and 500 shots on the pattern board....... I am a skybuster all the way.
Garage
hunter

Postby John Duck » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:53 pm

Pattern boards show little about real time shot strings. You will NEVER get the pellets on the birds that you see in the 30 inch circle on a board.
John Duck
hunter

Postby MK10 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:42 am

BBK wrote:What a bunch of uninformed bafoons

I'm not sure I could have put it any better…………...
MK10
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:05 pm

I loved his comment about deciding on your load before you get to the store "because you might get some bad advice". :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

FWIW my extended chokes didn't tighten my patterns any, but it did improve the distribution of the pellets leaving less holes so it is MORE efficient at moderate ranges.

That video is what an 8th grade edumacation gets you................... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Obviously no one from Beretta screened this before it was aired.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby John Duck » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:58 pm

MK10 wrote:

Actually you could have put it better as the source is the biggest Baboon on this forum. Bafoon is spelled wrong by the Baboon, BTW.
John Duck
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:36 pm

John Duck wrote:
MK10 wrote:

Actually you could have put it better as the source is the biggest Baboon on this forum. Bafoon is spelled wrong by the Baboon, BTW.

Well, you're making yourself look like a Buffoon.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:18 am

John Duck wrote:Pattern boards show little about real time shot strings. You will NEVER get the pellets on the birds that you see in the 30 inch circle on a board.

You will if you wait for a bird flying straight at you.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:59 pm

How can Beretta Pay these people for this type of junk info. Bubba And Bubbet Are raking it in and dishing it out.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby radfordc » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:03 am

John Duck wrote:Pattern boards show little about real time shot strings. You will NEVER get the pellets on the birds that you see in the 30 inch circle on a board.

How about actual video of shot strings: http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun ... peed-video

A duck will fly about 8" in the time it takes for the shot string to go by.
radfordc
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:37 am

radfordc wrote:

How about actual video of shot strings: http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun ... peed-video

A duck will fly about 8" in the time it takes for the shot string to go by.

Unfortunately, that isn't quite the whole story. Contrary to popular belief, shot strings are not uniform in either shape or pellet distribution. With steel or high quality lead, about two thirds of the pellets reside in the central 15 or 20 inches of the pattern and in the front third of the shot string. The remaining third of the pellets are the ones that, for the most part, have migrated to the outer edges of the pattern and are slowed by the atmospheric forces. If you go back and watch those videos carefully, you'll see this. There are other high speed videos of shot strings on the web that also depict this. Shoot a good quality round steel load at moderate velocity, center the bird, and don't worry about shot string.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:47 am

About the only way you can see shot-string ,is when you shoot a bird at 5 yds and out to 45 plus yds ! This will tell
you that the shot-string is to-short or that it is about right , if you can hit the birds in ether patterns center ?
With knowing about shot-strings , makes you wonder if you're a good shot or you need to spend more time at
the clay target range !
3200 man
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes