Dog and Chocolate

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Dog and Chocolate

Postby TX&MOJames » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:40 am

My daughter left a plate of chocolate cup cakes out where our dog could get to them, before we realized it she ate 6 cupcakes. This happened this morning about 7 am, we called the vet and the vet said if she is throwing up that she should be fine and that it should take a day or two for it to runs its course. Tomorrow is opening day of duck season, so of course I planned to hunt her. Wanted to see if any of you have had experience with this and if I should expect any serious side affects from the chocolate tomorrow? SHould I consider not hunting her?
TX&MOJames
hunter
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:32 am


Re: Dog and Chocolate

Postby B.E.Nelli » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:10 am

My dog once ate an entire solid chocolate Santa, foil and all....he never batted an eye. I think ota dog specific whether they are intolerant or not. I dunno though, not a vet. I just know my dog was fine.
User avatar
B.E.Nelli
hunter
 
Posts: 767
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:13 am

Re: Dog and Chocolate

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:18 pm

I had a BIG male Chessie that ate more chocolate in his lifetime than I have. Digest the chocolate, poop out the wrappers. My Vet was never too worried about it. Your dog should be fine and alright to hunt her tomorrow.
A 70 lb (?) kid or Lab, eats 6 cupcakes, they are going to have an upset stomach.
Preserve game, use a well trained retriever.
User avatar
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:55 pm
Location: NH

Re: Dog and Chocolate

Postby sharris » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:28 pm

Most baked goods like cakes/cupcakes don't have enough actual chocolate in them to cause chocolate toxicity in dogs. It's totally different if your dog gets into a bag of dark/baking chocolate. Remember that all toxins are dose related (cyanide can be safe in very low doses and water can be toxic in very high doses). If your dog is showing GI upset (vomiting/diarrhea), CNS signs, excitability, racing heart rate, within a few hours of ingestion then be concerned. If the dog is chilling out and acting normal he'll be fine. Might want to feed a bland diet tonight in case of potential GI upset (i.e. the "Hershey" squirts).
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 24
Dove: 4
User avatar
sharris
hunter
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:23 am
Location: corn and cattle country

Re: Dog and Chocolate

Postby TX&MOJames » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:16 pm

apprecaite ya'lls perspective. Looking forward to being in a duck blind tomorrow morning!
TX&MOJames
hunter
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:32 am

Re: Dog and Chocolate

Postby Duck_Popper » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:51 pm

How's the dog?
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
User avatar
Duck_Popper
hunter
 
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Dog and Chocolate

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:17 pm

Bella ate a 1 lb bag of dark chocolate covered pretzels at 9 months old. She had the squirts for two days and that was it. A buddy left them in his tent and didn't zip the door shut.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
User avatar
ScaupHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 6702
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

Re: Dog and Chocolate

Postby OmegaRed » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:07 pm

Like someone said, Dark Chocolate is worst than milk choco. They have to eat a pretty high percentage of their body weight for any real toxicity. Not that its a good practice, but usually not life threatening (well maybe for your carpet)
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
User avatar
OmegaRed
Fabio
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am
Location: I eat Chimichangas

Re: Dog and Chocolate

Postby Einstein » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:47 am

Just adding this on there, I have heard milk choco is not so bad, the darker the worse it is. HOWEVER, I once had a vet tell me that grapes are the worst snack to feed a dog. Friend had a yorkie nearly die because she gave him 2 grapes. Vet said 1 grape/lb is near deadly.
Einstein says: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Check out my build:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=465930
User avatar
Einstein
hunter
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:51 pm
Location: Foothills, NC

Re: Dog and Chocolate

Postby sharris » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:58 am

Einstein wrote:Just adding this on there, I have heard milk choco is not so bad, the darker the worse it is. HOWEVER, I once had a vet tell me that grapes are the worst snack to feed a dog. Friend had a yorkie nearly die because she gave him 2 grapes. Vet said 1 grape/lb is near deadly.


Milk chocolate isn't bad because there isn't much chocolate in it. Grapes are a completely different toxin and are nephrotoxic (damages the kidneys). The actual toxic dose isn't known because the toxin hasn't been identified and it isn't present in all grapes/raisins.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 24
Dove: 4
User avatar
sharris
hunter
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:23 am
Location: corn and cattle country

Re: Dog and Chocolate

Postby TX&MOJames » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:10 am

Ginny is fine, by the end of the day she was right back to herself and super excited when she saw the truck being loaded up for opening day. She retrieved her first goose (spec), it was a water retrieve and she didn't hesitate to grab it or have any real problem handling it. Which I was happy to see because she is a smaller female (about 60lb's) considering it was still alive,sitting upright on the water and first goose I was happy to see it!

Thanks for asking how she is.

JH
TX&MOJames
hunter
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:32 am

Re: Dog and Chocolate

Postby Duck_Popper » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:57 pm

TX&MOJames wrote:Ginny is fine, by the end of the day she was right back to herself and super excited when she saw the truck being loaded up for opening day. She retrieved her first goose (spec), it was a water retrieve and she didn't hesitate to grab it or have any real problem handling it. Which I was happy to see because she is a smaller female (about 60lb's) considering it was still alive,sitting upright on the water and first goose I was happy to see it!

Thanks for asking how she is.

JH

You're welcome. Great to hear. You never like to hear about a dog potentially being sick or something bad happen. Congrats on the spec and opening day. Good luck.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
User avatar
Duck_Popper
hunter
 
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Sacramento


Return to Hunting Dog Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 16 guests