Hearing protection

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr, brokerbyduck

Hearing protection

Postby stride » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:04 pm

Ok got sick of saying. "What". And want to keep what Hearing I have left. So
Bit the bullett and got a set of Sound Gear ear plugs.
I have had little or no problem with them and often as not forget they are in. My concern was with the wind. I did
not want to hear it whipping in all day long
Am pleased to say that I did not! And I can still hear the birds fly past and pheasants flush
It does muffle the shots quite a bit
If you get a set go with the industrial ones as i feel that the enhanced without a volume control option would be way to much
Yes you can hear yourself talk,breath ,move etc... Just like regular earplugs
stride
hunter

Re: Hearing protection

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:12 pm

Did you get a deal on them? Are they really worth that much money?
If you did get a deal on them would you post so that others that may want to get them can get the same deal.

Thanks for sharing,

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby stride » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:26 am

No I waited to late. I did find them cheaper on Amazon BEFORE the hunting season as they have a 30 day no Q's asked deal I waited. Amazon had 2 used/previously owned without the warranty
If I was to do it again I would get them well before the season opener.
Are they worth the price? Well 600 is lots cheaper than 2000$ for close to the same thing.
Depends on how much you want to hear late in life. I would recommend for anyone younger than 40 without a second thought
As of today I have not missed hearing any game as I did with regular plugs and muffs .
Hope that helps.
stride
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:28 pm

Thanks for the response, I agree hearing is very important! I have exceptional hearing but have never had much of a problem with shooting. But I will say that I am fairly new to duck hunting so will have to be careful there.

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:00 pm

I keep thinking about getting these. My hearing is shot. Permanent ringing in my left ear 24/7. All from duck/ goose hunting. It sucks. I now try to wear ear plugs to save what I have left, so I don't have to be a lip reader later on.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby TCFarmer » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:25 am

You may want to go see an audiologist. I got 2 pair of custom molded plugs for $200.
TCFarmer
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 am

TCFarmer wrote:You may want to go see an audiologist. I got 2 pair of custom molded plugs for $200.

I have a pair f custom molded plugs, but they block out a good portion of all noise. I have seen where you can add the hearing amplification to them, but I did not go that route.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby aaronoto » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:04 am

Are they comfortable to wear for long periods of time? No on/off switch kind of sucks though, are the batteries a pain to put in/take out all the time? I need to start wearing hearing protection as well... I have some hearing loss in my left ear, right now I just wear a plug in that ear and go without in the right ear so that I can hear things, I know, smart right...
aaronoto
hunter

Postby stride » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:06 pm

You are correct on both. No on/off switch when you take the batts out thats the off , so that said you have to put them in every time and yes they are small but not too bad to put in. Just the time it takes to put in when all you want to do is HUNT :)
Yes the batts are small no ON/OFF no volume control. But I think that is why the plugs are so small. KISS principle. Keep it simple
I have used them this year and have been out hunting with them for both ducks and upland 10 times and most times forget they are in
The one annoyance I have noticed is when I have on a balaclava I can hear it move against my ears and head
I was surprised that I did not get any feed back with the head gear
stride
hunter

Postby SnoGeez » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:53 pm

I was speaking to a coworker that is putting money away for a new set of hearing aids, $5000!!! Like others, I hate wearing ear plugs because you can't catch those birds sneaking into the spread, but I can tell my hearing isn't what it used to be. It seems like a worthwhile investment!
SnoGeez
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:01 pm

I took crap the whole Alberta trip for my walkers game ears but they worked great. I could hear the birds coming and my hearing was protected the whole trip from 6 guns blazing away. If you don't think you need ear protection, just try to have a conversation with the old guys at the range. :biggrin:
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby Drake Drayage » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:13 am

Just use something!!! My stubbornness and proximity to guys that brush my ear with the barrel has resulted in noticeable hearing loss after my first trip of the year... I will NEVER leave home without it. :crying:
Shade Prostaff
Blackberry Kazoo Boy Productions
Drake Drayage
hunter

Postby slo hunter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:25 pm

I picked up a pair of these for this season. A little easier on the wallet.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/ ... t104381280
slo hunter
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting