mechanical vs. fixed blades

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

mechanical vs. fixed blades

Postby take'emgreenheads » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:10 am

Have always used fixed blades but with new bow i will be getting new broadheads. What do you prefer for whitetails. Also how many blades.
take'emgreenheads
hunter

Re: mechanical vs. fixed blades

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:23 pm

I've shot quite a few different broadheads. Both fixed and mechanical. You can hear from anyone and everyone, which blade is best. The endorsement of any product comes from people (in such a wide variety) because it worked for them. The common denominator is the fact they put a sharp blade through the vitals at that particular time. They all work. Broadhead tuning is important no matter the brand. Shooting accurately is important no matter the brand. Shooting a sharp broadhead is important no matter the brand.

One thing to note discussing mechanical versus fixed is the amount of energy that is consumed to make a mechanical open, then cut. Most, I repeat, most mechanical are not cut on contact. If you shoot a tuned, fixed blade broadhead that is cut on contact, that is sharp you can get more distance out of an arrow that remains lethal. In other words, you can typicallt kill them farther. If you are shooting under thirty yards, there's no arguing that both are pretty equal. If you are shooting lower weight, slower speed bow, I would suggest fixed and also cut on contact, as a broadhead.

I shot a deer just yesterday with a mechanical broadhead. Brand? Not important. Three pack was $22. I shoot 70 pounds and maybe 260 fps. I am shooting a very heavy arrow at today's standards at around 500 grains, but my typical shot is 20 yards. It doesn't matter what I shoot. It will kill a deer at that distance. I shoot what's cheapest at the time, and will tell you I've killed at least 50 deer with at least twenty different heads. Last year I was using a three pack of cheapos that cost me nine dollars. Head shot a fox, took a doe and a coyote through the ribs. The broadheads at that price were disposable, and I don't care what they look like after killing a deer.

To sum it up. If you want something you can shoot more than once, and possibly don't have to replace blades every time, the the G5 Montec is a brand I would endorse. Small cutting diameter, need sharpening imo out of the box, but a very sturdy head. You want a mechanical? Personal opinion here, but I would get front deploying heads that are held in place with an O ring. I look at mechanicals as almost certainly disposable, and that will cost you that $15 bucks if you hit or miss lol. So after my 34 years of bow hunting (and bought it all) I've concluded that I wait until they're at close range, stick them where it counts, and all of them work. Oh, and I practice so much my beer belly shows it!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cONG » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:43 am

I think mechanical is the way to go. Big cutting area, more blood, faster death, I shot 100grm wasp 3 blades 1'1/4 cutting area.
cONG
hunter

Postby Tyler Radke » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:03 pm

I shoot fixed blade heads only because they have 0% chance of not deploying blades. They are all cutting full diameter every time. With a mechanical you have a chance of failure no matter how good they are. Fixed blades aren't cool but they get the job done and work every time.
Tyler Radke
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 am

G5 motechs for me. dropped a doe this year with them.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby Lights-Out » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:39 pm

shwacker watch the youtube videos, me and my buddy havent had the deer go far, but a broadhead is only as good as the shooter if you cant make a good shot its not going to matter, i like muzzy trokar, but i shoot shwacker they are pretty incredible!
Lights-Out
hunter

Postby Bagger1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:44 pm

The swacker is a sweet flying head, I have shot them on and off again over the years when they were Sanoran broad heads. They fly right with my field tip at 90 yards....no I don't shoot at game that far but it sure makes 40 seem like a chip shot.

The "best" flying, killing, blood trail laying, low poundage/high poundage, 220fps(sons bow) 312fps(my hunting bow) 360(step dads cross bow) fixed broad head I've ever shot and killed a lot of trophy whitetails with-pass threw every one 15-42yards, have not had one run more than 25yards, kids first went 16 yards from where it went in and exited braking a rib and the arrow layed 10 yards farther from the point of impact. Magnus stingers/Buzzcut 100gr kid shoots 85gr

If your at all concerned about having enough HP for a big expandable, give the stingers a serious look! For me they fly the same as ANY expandable and my field tips
Bagger1
Newb

Postby Jmorris » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:00 pm

I shoot Rages on deer (used to shoot Pucketts) and Slick Trick's on elk.
Jmorris
hunter

Postby Lights-Out » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:17 am

dont shoot the shwacker with less than 60 pounds though
Lights-Out
hunter

Postby Jasonmaure » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:39 am

Guys here's my thoughts and things to think about when choosing broadheads. http://wwocz.net/jason-mechanical-vs-fi ... roadheads/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jasonmaure
hunter

Return to Archery