Opener PICS - post 'em if ya got 'em!

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Opener PICS - post 'em if ya got 'em!

Postby MAJ MALFUNCTION » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:56 am

Had a VERY GOOD amount of activity on our marsh right before legal shooting and about 1/2 hour after. But the rest of the morning was a total bust - complete bluebird day here.

Should have had a limit, but my shooting was off a bit. :oops: One GW Teal, 2 Woodies and a Gadwall.

Last edited by MAJ MALFUNCTION on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
QUACK WHORE
MAJ MALFUNCTION
hunter

Re: Opener PICS - post 'em if ya got 'em!

Postby sooner737 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:58 am

Good lookin wood you got there.
sooner737
hunter

Postby MAJ MALFUNCTION » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:02 am

sooner737 wrote:Good lookin wood you got there.

That's what SHE said! :grooving:
QUACK WHORE
MAJ MALFUNCTION
hunter

Postby rebelmdb69 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:47 am

Lol
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby micneador » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:01 pm

Not bad for a two man hunt
5 GWT, 1 drake woody, one drake shoveler, 1 drake gadwall, and 2 mallards drake & hen.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby Garand » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:25 pm

ABSOLUTELY no excuse for not completing the limits today... but still not a bad way to kick off the season!

Last edited by Garand on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garand
hunter

Postby okduckhntr » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:37 pm

One of these days....I'll figure out how to post up pics from my phone.

Son and I limited with a mix of GW teal, wigeon & Gadwall. Should of had a nice bull sprig, too early to shoot.
did see a few GH as we were packing up. Dog did pretty good for her 4th trip. She hasn't. Yet mastered the ones that go under yet
Lady walks into a bar with a duck, BARTENDER: "Hey, get that old coot out of here"
LADY: "That's not a coot, it's a duck!"
BARTENDER: "I was talking to the duck!"
okduckhntr
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:16 pm

3 man hunt today. Only shot a two groups of birds, hit 5 widgeon and 2 gwt. Image
petrotk40
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:41 pm

Didn't turn out quite as good as we hoped. Should have had a couple more greenheads, but things just completely turned off 30-45 min after LST. Overall it was the best opener in a while though.
First wood duck since 2000...if I had the extra cash I wouldn't have hesitated to mount that one.
The first pic got cut off, there's a greenwing on the far right.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby ErieAngler » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:59 pm

No picture but picked two limits mixed bag mostly gwt, with shoveler, ringnecks, mallard and woody mixed in, oh and a coyote too - he got a couple 3.5 bbb's and it rolled him

Now if I could only find the elusive deer, been the worst damn year of deer hunting ever. On the other hand I know where 100 squirrels live......I think the squirrels ate the deer.
ErieAngler
hunter

Postby cargodoyle » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:01 pm

My first opener in OK. Took a few guys out and we ended up with 24 (buddy had to leave early, so only 18 in pic). Mixed bag of Mallard, Widgeon, Gadwall, Teal, Pintail, and Spoony. Had a great morning, and how I love these OK mornings!
Quartz Mountain DU Co-Chairmen
Eternal Outdoor Films
Zink Calls Z-Unit
“Above all else, cherish that most solemn pride which must be yours to be willing to lay so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.”
– Abraham Lincoln 1863
cargodoyle
hunter

Postby Erie » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:08 am

cargodoyle wrote:My first opener in OK. Took a few guys out and we ended up with 24 (buddy had to leave early, so only 18 in pic). Mixed bag of Mallard, Widgeon, Gadwall, Teal, Pintail, and Spoony. Had a great morning, and how I love these OK mornings!

That dog stand looks terrible! You really should spend the money and get yourself a MOmarsh invisilab, don't you care for your dog? :no:
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby cargodoyle » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:02 am

Erie wrote:
cargodoyle wrote:My first opener in OK. Took a few guys out and we ended up with 24 (buddy had to leave early, so only 18 in pic). Mixed bag of Mallard, Widgeon, Gadwall, Teal, Pintail, and Spoony. Had a great morning, and how I love these OK mornings!

That dog stand looks terrible! You really should spend the money and get yourself a MOmarsh invisilab, don't you care for your dog? :no:

Yeah, that dog sure has rough life....
Great weekend of hunting. Got another 3 man this am, now headed to church to confess my hen spoony killing! :thumbsup:
Quartz Mountain DU Co-Chairmen
Eternal Outdoor Films
Zink Calls Z-Unit
“Above all else, cherish that most solemn pride which must be yours to be willing to lay so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.”
– Abraham Lincoln 1863
cargodoyle
hunter

Postby rebelmdb69 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:14 pm

Well my son shot his first bird ever. A big fat green head. Only one killed but it was worth it to see his face light up when he touched it off and he crumpled up. Image
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby lockednloaded » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:20 pm

MAJ MALFUNCTION wrote:Had a VERY GOOD amount of activity on our marsh right before legal shooting and about 1/2 hour after. But the rest of the morning was a total bust - complete bluebird day here.

SAME EXACT THING happened to us out on Bell Cow Lake in Chandler. Not the best hunt ever, but still fun. 5 birds between two guys, 2 gads, 2 spoonies, and 1 GWT. Image

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
lockednloaded
hunter

Postby ok_ark_ducknut » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:23 pm

Had a great opening morning with my boy and some good friends. Got sky-busted by some Yahoos a couple times on the public spot we were hunting but, overall, it was a fun and enjoyable hunt! Lots of ducks (mostly teal but saw groups of mallards, gadwalls and plenty of woodies too) in Northeastern Oklahoma this year with the plentiful water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ok_ark_ducknut
hunter

Postby mallards&morels » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:38 pm

Finished with 9 between 2 hunters (GWT, spoonies, and Gadwall). Was a bit rusty shooting the teal, we should have finished out a limit on teal alone. Seemed to be a decent amount of activity and then by 10:00 it was done. We sat in the blind til 12:15 and didn't fire another shot.
Attachments
image.jpg
mallards&morels
hunter

Postby Erie » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:20 pm

cargodoyle wrote:now headed to church to confess my hen spoony killing! :thumbsup:

Hahahha he may forgive you but your friends won't let you live it down………….hen killer.
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby noodle » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:58 pm

2 of us did decent on the opener but ill admit we couldnt hit anything early. All greenwings as far as ducks 2 geese and one merganser.
Gump, GET DOWN AND SHUT UP!!!!
noodle
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:28 am

Opener. Had to perform an act of congress to get this to upload.
Attachments
image.jpg
sooner737
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:04 am

Looks like everyone got into some birds this weekend. We had two groups of teal buzz right before shooting light and had a group of gaddies locked up before they flared right before 8. Only got to hunt for 45 minutes before I had to pack up and leave empty handed. Saw multiple groups of several dozen teal and a couple of groups of gaddies. I think we would have gotten birds had we hunted until 9.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:27 am

Didn't get to hunt where, how, or as long as I wanted too for various reasons. Only killed 4 opener; was eaten up before and 30 minutes after LST by mostly teal and spoonies. Simply didn't shoot too much as I didn't want to be shooting spoonies. Cottonwood Creek WDU, in the far distance, sounded like WW III as usual. Can't translate what that means as opener day sometimes means lots of cormorants are shot there (and plenty were flying Saturday).

I was dismayed at the number of hunters in my general vicinity as "my" spot doesn't get hardly any pressure. Pretty sure nobody else around me killed anything as they were all set up in spots that veterans wouldn't consider hunting. Area is pretty much void of any real cover this year. Gotta use a layout blind and do some creative covering to hide well. Oh well, I'm hoping the newbies "see how bad this spot is" for duckin and don't return.

Gonna hit one of my "regular" spots this weekend and see how infested it is with newbies. I am very afraid.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby OkieDuckFever » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:42 am

Jewel is sniffing them looking for more and still asking... is that the best you could do? The boys did end up with a couple more Woodies off a pond jump. We brought along 2 new teens that hadn't hunted with us before and our group didn't work together like a well oiled machine, let too many escape and live another day. All in all, it was a good opener. 7 Woodie drakes and 1 hen.

We did see a few mallards but they escaped unharmed.
Attachments
pipeco 008x.JPG
OkieDuckFever
hunter

Postby nodogduckhunter » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:40 pm

Cant post pics for some reason but was 4 shy of 7 man limit on sat but got 3 bonus geese by 11. Completed a 3 man limit on sunday by 10:15 . Awesome opening weekend!
nodogduckhunter
hunter

Postby nativeduckhunter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:34 pm

i had a terrible zone 2 opener 0 ducks for sat, but i got 4 sunday 3 woodies and a blue wing.
a few ducks for zone 1 i shot most but not all
nativeduckhunter
hunter

Next

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting