Duck Hunting Forum banner

Are savings on our reloads going to increase in the future?

1K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  z51 
#1 ·
After seeing the recent increase in factory steel shells by Remington, do you think other major shell mfgs will follow suit? If so, the diff in reloading prices maybe offer a bigger savings over buying factory. I still am able to reload 10ga for about $9 a box while factory 10ga are going for about $32 a box which is a big diff now. I am just talking regular steel shot prices here and not premium stuff like Black Cloud, Hevi Metal, etc. I used to be able to buy factory steel 10ga shells to suppliment my use of reloads but not any more. I can still do this with 12ga right now if need be.

Chris

#3 ·
Not sure. Primers and powder prices are increasing, not sure if it is just temporary or a new trend. I can't buy any primers or powder locally anymore, have to order online which adds to the cost. I'm reloading 3" 12ga for about $11.50 a box.

#4 ·
Like many of us thought before the Obama gun scare, prices would go up on everything and they have.
Shotgun shells are going to be a hit and miss thing price wise, look at the price of pistol or rifle ammo and you will be saving quite a bit if components don't go any higher. I can't believe some of theses companies have the nerve to sell even so called premium pistol ammo at $1 shot.
Reloading is still going to be the best option, think after everything stabilizes and people loose interest in it components will come down a bit...but who knows.

#5 ·
I find it expensive up here in Canada now for reloading componants 1k of steel powder can go anywhere from 33/42 bucks if i remember steel shot cost around 35 may be 45 a 10lb bag,fac shell prices are crazy.I think in 10 gauge i priced hevi metal at 45 bucks for 25 shells so this isn't good news that prices are going up again...

#6 ·
What increase in the price of Remington shells are you talking about. The big 4 are all competitive for their premium loads, and Remington is very competitive on the budget.end of the product line. I can buy Remington Sportsman 3 " 12 gauge every day for $89 per case.
I can't load 3" for that today in 12 gauge.

#7 ·
z51 said:
What increase in the price of Remington shells are you talking about. The big 4 are all competitive for their premium loads, and Remington is very competitive on the budget.end of the product line. I can buy Remington Sportsman 3 " 12 gauge every day for $89 per case.
3" 1 1/4?

Cheapest I can find that around here is about $130 a case.

#8 ·
You will notice I said regular steel and not premium steel. Right off, I noticed that 2 3/4" Nitro Steel had jumped to 22 or 23 a box this season from 13 or 14 a box last season. Last year at Bass Pro, I could buy Nitro Steel and Kent for the same price. Kent is still 14 a box this season, with no change. That's a 70% jump in retail price for Rem. Note, I paid no attention to Sportsman or Hypersonic.

Chris

#11 ·
BBK said:
z51 said:
3" 1 1/4?

I'm getting 3" 1 1/4 ounce Sportsman here for $89 a case.
If you are talking Nitro Steel that's a decent price. It competes with Drylok and Kent Silversteel, and the now discontinued Ultra Shock.

#12 ·
10gaOkie said:
You will notice I said regular steel and not premium steel. Right off, I noticed that 2 3/4" Nitro Steel had jumped to 22 or 23 a box this season from 13 or 14 a box last season. Last year at Bass Pro, I could buy Nitro Steel and Kent for the same price. Kent is still 14 a box this season, with no change. That's a 70% jump in retail price for Rem. Note, I paid no attention to Sportsman or Hypersonic.

Chris
I have told you at least twice most of that is the retailer doing it not Remington. The prices only went up $10 a case around here. The retailers always blame the factory when they get greedy.

Remington hasn't gone up 70 percent to the retailer, that's just crazy!

#15 ·
The ammo companies are taking everybody to the cleaners, that is a given. 35-40 dollars for Hevi-metal type loads is totally insane. They can get that kind of dough from those wealthy enough to go on expensive guided hunts. That is why on one of the boxes it says something to the effect of "You came this far, so only use the best", that is not the exact quote, but something to that effect. In the lower realm the 1 1/16th and 1 1/8th loads are priced to perfection and are the only cheap loads I even see in stores here. It is a shame because these loads wound a lot of ducks and there is a lot of loss of birds also, simply because there is not enough shot, especially for sub-par shooters. A lot of times in stores the fairly good 1 1/4 fairly prices loads are sold out and all that is left is the cheap light load stuff or 20 dollar and above premium loads. A lot of this scenario all around is just Ammo company greed and the hunters get the shaft!

#16 ·
z51 said:
BBK said:
z51 said:
3" 1 1/4?

I'm getting 3" 1 1/4 ounce Sportsman here for $89 a case.
If you are talking Nitro Steel that's a decent price. It competes with Drylok and Kent Silversteel, and the now discontinued Ultra Shock.
No, nitros are $190 IF you can find them. By the box the sportsmans are $15.99 and nitros are $22.99. You cant find drylok here (my favorite load). But when you do its about $19 a box.

#17 ·
z51 said:
Your friend is to be gentle is "misinformed".
i am not misinformed at all i sold my old stock and went to order some more and the price that i seen on net were i can order on line to have them shipped to my store went up 7 dollars for both the nitro steel loads in 23/4 length hulls. so i called my source and they said that remington put big price increase on those 2 loads. i said forget it i am not paying that for 23/4 inch loads. i set all those guys up that liked that load with loading supplies and had them dust there reloaders off and get to loading some shells on the cheap side. the remington sportsman loads went up to the old dealer pricing of the nitro steel loads.
I will say this i am not ordering no more remington primers either they went out the roof for dealer pricing on those too.

it is not the retailers making a killing it is either remington themselfs or the wholesalers that dealers are getting the product from, to sell in there stores. all ammo is getting this way if you want them Remington nitros at the cheaper price(old stock) you better order them before rogers sales them out.

#18 ·
I don't know who your jobber is but I can buy a case of Nitro Steel 3 1/2" inch 1 9/16" oz 1300 fps load for $159.99 per case, retail, all season.
The prices you seeing have multi level markups. If you buy without any quantity commitment you pay more. If you buy by the box you pay more.
I can buy 3" Sportsman by the box for $9.99 every day.
Before you get all pissed at Remington remember that Federal dropped the entire Ultra Shok lineup, forcing premium buyers to Black Cloud.

#19 ·
My concern is that the "koolaide drinkers" may be pushing the reasonably priced loads out of the market...

The other thing driving up costs isn't materials and manufacturing but marketing. When manufactures are sponsoring "hundreds" of pro staffers and TV programs that money has to come from somewhere. Those outdoor programs we watch on TV are nohwere near "free" to us.................

#20 ·
This is somewhat of a guess but I believe there is a severe split between low price point buyers that will shoot anything that is cheap, and high end buyers that will pay ridiculous prices for gimmicks and specialty loads hoping to improve their kill.

That leaves the quality middle range loads with low volumnes which equal higher per unit production cost. A perfect example of this is 10 gauge prices versus actual material cost. Also 16 and 28 gauges are another example. I think this has now happened to 2 3/4" steel loads to some extent and will continue.

Conspiracy theorist always blame the industrial complex first. In truth, in many cases, it is they themselves that drive the market and cause pricing anomalies.

#21 ·
z51 said:
I don't know who your jobber is but I can buy a case of Nitro Steel 3 1/2" inch 1 9/16" oz 1300 fps load for $159.99 per case, retail, all season.

The prices you seeing have multi level markups. If you buy without any quantity commitment you pay more. If you buy by the box you pay more.
I can buy 3" Sportsman by the box for $9.99 every day.
Before you get all pissed at Remington remember that Federal dropped the entire Ultra Shok lineup, forcing premium buyers to Black Cloud.
i said nothing about 3 inch sportsmans loads that is low retail price for them(nothing special drawing card) just like what walmart does then hammers them on something else to make up for the low ball prices. , they are hopping they buy something else in that store so they really are making normal profits just spread out over 2 maybe 3 other products.

remington raised the price to the jobbers with the nitro 23/4 inch loads and the others perty much stayed the same maybe tad higher jobber price. i am not sure why remington thinks that they have that much into a 2 3/4 steel load, when i can buy other lengths cheaper than them with alot more shot in them and still in the nitro line of loads(premium lines). the sportsman steel loads are all cheap yet from jobbers ect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.