That first 30 minutes

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

That first 30 minutes

Postby Tyrtruion » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:00 pm

It's 6:55am and there's 8 something's swiming around in my deeks... I hear a little whistling, flapping and another one lands around 20 yards in front of me... My dogs shaking with excitement... We watch them swim around for 10 minutes and then the shooting starts. All I can think is this:

I can't see anything well enough to ID let alone shoot at it... I have problems enough hitting a fast flying target when the suns up let alone when it's dark enough to still see stars.
Are my eyes and duck knowledge that bad? Or are the 100 or so other people shooting right now attempting to limit on random birds? Crossing their fingers that they don't shoot a 3rd sprig,can, or miss mallard....

It was about 7:30 when I finally pulled the trigger. But I could have limited before that if had just pointed up and shot volleys at the random black streaks zipping 10 feet above my head...
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Re: That first 30 minutes

Postby Privileged hunter » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:15 pm

At first light shoot the birds in the back of the group. There usually the drakes ( save the hens )
Privileged hunter
hunter

Postby eastbaybirdkiller » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:31 pm

Don't forget about the people that can ID and shoot the birds 10 minutes before shoot time
eastbaybirdkiller
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:17 am

I'm with you on that. I hate shooting at first light and usually just sit there with coffee until I can see what the heck is flying.

If all the birds fly off? Well, tough luck for me.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby fish dog » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:35 am

I've often said that start time should be sunrise, not a 1/2 hour before (mainly for the reasons the OP already stated) and quitting time should be a 1/2 hour after sunset. I can't see much ( like the OP) the first 1/2 hour but it sure seems that I can see okay for at least a 1/2 hour after quitting time. I don't know if anyone else has noticed that? Is the light somehow different at the end of the day vs. at the start of the day?
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3
fish dog
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:06 am

I agree with you Fish dog but , most guys where I hunt have already run-out of shells skybusting !

It wouldn't be fair to be the only one shooting ?........Late !
3200 man
hunter

Postby MONDAGO » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:08 pm

fish dog wrote:I've often said that start time should be sunrise, not a 1/2 hour before (mainly for the reasons the OP already stated) and quitting time should be a 1/2 hour after sunset. I can't see much ( like the OP) the first 1/2 hour but it sure seems that I can see okay for at least a 1/2 hour after quitting time. I don't know if anyone else has noticed that? Is the light somehow different at the end of the day vs. at the start of the day?

I agree with this, plus I'd get to sleep an extra 30 minutes every morning....
MONDAGO
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting