Question for you guys with the SX3 20ga

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Question for you guys with the SX3 20ga

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:35 am

I am looking for an alternative 20ga for larger shot sizes. I have exhausted most all avenues with the Beretta 390/3901 20ga with shot sizes larger than #4. As much as I like them, they do not like #3 or #2 loads regardless of how fast or slow they are. I have considered loading Nice Shot since I found a 10lb jug of #6 I had completely forgotten about. I am not set up to load 3" steel and frankly don't care to add another press just for that.

How does the SX3 handle the larger shot sizes, does it prefer the fast or medium speed loads? I am looking at 35-45yds.

Thanks Darryle
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Re: Question for you guys with the SX3 20ga

Postby 3200 man » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:39 am

My Browning Citori shoots 3" Kents just fine , they are 7/8 oz loads of 3's and 2's . If you load 2 3/4" lead loads , you
shouldn't have a problem loading 3" . If you need more horse-power in your loads , maybe you need to go back to a 12 ga ?
The 20 ga is for decoying birds inside 35 yds , even though I've shot my fare share of big ducks outside of 40 yds with it .

There isn't much room for shot-sizes in steelshot larger than 2's but , 3's work best for me ! I use a LM on the bottom and
a IM in the top .
3200 man
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:54 am

orphanedcowboy wrote: I am looking at 35-45yds.

Then you might be looking at a 12ga., rather than a 20. :biggrin:

I have a 20ga. SX3, but I don't shoot waterfowl with it, so I can't help you on the large steel shot issue; #7 steel, for doves, is as large as I've gone. Good luck.

Maybe there's an aftermarket choke for the Beretta's that will give you what you are looking for?
mudpack
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:02 am

mudpack wrote:
orphanedcowboy wrote: I am looking at 35-45yds.

Then you might be looking at a 12ga., rather than a 20. :biggrin:

I have a 20ga. SX3, but I don't shoot waterfowl with it, so I can't help you on the large steel shot issue; #7 steel, for doves, is as large as I've gone. Good luck.

Maybe there's an aftermarket choke for the Beretta's that will give you what you are looking for?

I have tried both Briley and Trulock, George is currently making me 2 chokes to try and hopefully one of them alleviates the problem with the #2 & #3 shot.

The 35-45yds is for patterns only, most all ducks will be shot inside of 35yds and I know #4s will more than likely work, I just prefer the daughter shoot #3 steel because when she gets excited, she takes shots she knows she shouldn't. So far it has been anything I couldn't dispatch quickly, but there may come a time I can't get on the bird or it sails out of range.

Thanks
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby Swamprabbit » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:08 pm

My SX3 20ga, patterns the black cloud #2's good out to about 30 yds, much past that it starts to get pretty open. I shoot a factory modified choke.
Swamprabbit
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum