Just returned from nodak

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Just returned from nodak

Postby lbhansford » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:10 pm

Had a blast and had my mind expanded in regards to duck hunting. Met some great people and really started figuring out the place just about the time we were leaving. Will definitely make that 30 hour drive again! Thanks to all the nice people we met and especially the lovely staff at dani's place, dally up in Montpelier and mike from these forums for answering a lot of questions that probably seemed stupid to someone who grew up there. :thumbsup: :beer:
lbhansford
hunter

Re: Just returned from nodak

Postby Bull Can » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:39 pm

Glad to hear you had success! Being a student here in ND, its all about relationships with the farmers and locals. Very nice when people are willing to help. How were numbers for you? It should get crazy here in the next week.
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:22 am

we hit it when it was in between locals and migrators, had a couple great days and the rest fair. Still alot more fun than back home. Shot a nice bull can that is going on the wall for memories!
Attachments
canresized.jpg
lbhansford
hunter

Postby WildDuckman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:23 am

lbhansford wrote:we hit it when it was in between locals and migrators, had a couple great days and the rest fair. Still alot more fun than back home. Shot a nice bull can that is going on the wall for memories!

This makes me happy....A freelancer with his sidekick hunting waterfowl without ever sitting foot on the soil before. My dad, my friend and I are going to be heading to ND next year Lord Willing and we hope for the chance at some canvasbacks!!! Never killed one in the 12 years of hunting.

Hansford go into detail about the trip... I love hearing good hunting stories!!!
WildDuckman
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:05 pm

Man where to start the whole thing was such a humbling experience. We went into the expedition not looking for limits every single day in the first few hours, but more to see the promised duck land and it did well to impress. We drove non-stop to have as much hunting time as possible. 30 hours from VA to a rest area on 94 in crystal valley to be exact. We had gotten some advice on what kinds of areas to look for so we picked out a little square on a plots map that met our requirements and went in blind for the first morning hoping to have a bird or two pitch in. It was nothing short of what dreams are made of. Sun rose and the birds started to do their morning dance across the sky and lots of them at that. I shot the bull can as a flock shot overhead from behind, then a pintail out of a small jag of 3, while watching the pintail go down, i managed to miss seeing the 25 teal that landed in our spread about 10 yards away. My firend starts blasting and I follow up with one as well. it was the kind of morning you could only hope for and to do it blindly was pretty awesome. That was our best day. the next two days were very cold, windless, and alot less birds on the move. we used those to scout and did have a few successful jumpshoots on some gadwalls, shovelers, and mallards. the next day after that lull, my partner was too hung over to hunt so i went out solo. It was really foggy which at homes means ducky weather. I managed to get 8 or 9 mallards to lock up and pitch in. Shot a TRIPLE ON THEM, all in flight. Went and picked my buddy up around noon once he had sobered up and found a hole with bluebills in it. We jumped them out and then threw out a couple decoys and waited. Sure as hell they started to trickle back in pairs and triples. Managed to scratch a few of those out the deal.

A couple of the VA forum guys wanted to try and give me a hard time aabout not getting full limits everyday and cleaning up, but that was not what it was about for me. for me it was comradery, seeing the duck capital of the world, meeting great people, and learning for our return next year. I will definitely be making the trip again!
lbhansford
hunter

Postby johanloza11 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:17 pm

Great story man!

I hope it works out that way for me. I am heading out to ND the 15th from MN. I will be staying in Grand Forks. About what area were you at? I am looking for a few pointers on what to look for....Sounds like a PLOTS map is a really good idea. Did you have any problem finding areas to hunt or getting permission to hunt private land?

Thanks for the help,
johanloza11
Newb

Postby gunshow » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:43 am

johanloza11 wrote:Great story man!

I agree :thumbsup:

I've been hunting fowl in the ND duck factory for 20 + years and you did very well for driving in blind.
We always bag out even on those days of 70 degrees, sunny, and no wind. But we work our tails off for it. :wink:

Nice Bull Can BTW....very nice
gunshow
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:31 am

johanloza11 wrote:Great story man!

I hope it works out that way for me. I am heading out to ND the 15th from MN. I will be staying in Grand Forks. About what area were you at? I am looking for a few pointers on what to look for....Sounds like a PLOTS map is a really good idea. Did you have any problem finding areas to hunt or getting permission to hunt private land?

Thanks for the help,

We'd still be driving in circles on some back gravel road if we didnt have a PLOTS map. Used it more for navigation and knowing what was around the area than picking and hunting.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Fred_Bear » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:12 am

FYI there are better scouting tools than plots maps. Don't get me wrong, I still bring them with scouting every time but there are now better tools.

My most used tool for scouting is my phone. #1 app to use is Maps with the GPS on. #2 app is the GPS capable plots map in my phone that can be overlaid onto aerial photos or USGS topo maps.
Fred_Bear
hunter

Postby tbossart » Wed May 21, 2014 7:49 am

"A couple of the VA forum guys wanted to try and give me a hard time aabout not getting full limits everyday and cleaning up, but that was not what it was about for me. for me it was comradery, seeing the duck capital of the world, meeting great people, and learning for our return next year. I will definitely be making the trip again!"

Great story. I have lived and hunted in this state my whole life (47 years), minus graduate school. The object of the exercise is not to shoot a limit at all. I mean, sure thats always fun, but it is least important measure of any hutning experience. More so seeing as how we are not hunting to survive now days. I am happy that A) you came to check out the area as it is nothing short of spectactular from a waterfowl hunting standpoint and B) happy to hear and see what a good time you had. When you come agani, if you have any questions shoot me a PM and I will be happy to help if I can.
tbossart
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting