NEW A5 Owners- Bolt Corrosion?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

NEW A5 Owners- Bolt Corrosion?

Postby godevil2921 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:13 pm

I have a new A5 hunter and I am meticulous about cleaning my firearms. I use the same product on all of my firearms SafariLand Breakfree CLP. Never once have I had a rust or corrosion issue. My new A5 has about 600-800 rounds through it both lead and Steel. Here again I use the same thing: AA trap loads, and Kent Steel in all of my shotguns. The new A5 has a unique bolt system in it that is removeable and easy to clean. My Bolt is full of spots that look like rust or possibly corrosion of some kind. I've tried to brass brush it off and they are not comming off. Has anyone had this issue and if you did what did you determine it was? I'm planning on contacting Browning this week to see what they have to say. If its a "send it in" solution it will have to wait until duck season is over. Just curious becasue I've never seen anything like this before, its only ohn the bolt, not the extractor or any other part of the carrier system.
godevil2921
hunter

Re: NEW A5 Owners- Bolt Corrosion?

Postby RShockley » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:05 pm

I have about 450 rounds through mine. I use the same cleaner and AA trap loads. I shot experts and blindside instead of kent steel though. Our season just started this weekend so it only has 2 days of duck hunting on it. Took it apart to clean it tonight and didn't see any rust spots. I will keep an eye out for it during the rest of the season and let you know if anything comes up. Where are you hunting? Any saltwater where your at?
RShockley
hunter

Postby godevil2921 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 pm

Wisconsin. No salt water or excessive moisture of any kind. The weird part is its more predominant on the backside of the bolt. The front side or exposed side has none. Love the gun. I've used the same A5 for the last 20+ years. I can't believe the speed at which this new A5 cycles. I have and shoot several older A5's. Both Japan and Belgium manufactured. I even have a French made 16. All of them field used and all of them have bright shiny bolts. I know the new one is more of a brushed or matted finish on the bolt. I don't understand the spots.
godevil2921
hunter

Postby DroppnDrakes » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:42 pm

I've seen little gray spots on mine. Haven't worried much. But having trouble ejecting the shells, they get stuck. Any remedies for that!?
DroppnDrakes
hunter

Postby godevil2921 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:37 pm

I've had two jams that I wrote off as break in. However this weekend in the blind my partner noticed that it doesn't throw empties too far. Has not been an issue but it does concern me a bit. What kind of ammo are you using? How many rounds have you put through it? How often do you experience issues? I did send a note to a Browning rep about the spots. I'd like to understand your issue and share it with Browning. I hope it's not an issue that I will eventually have.
godevil2921
hunter

Postby RShockley » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:19 pm

Have y'all had any new developments with these issues? My is still going strong after the first 2weeks of the season and some more sporting clays. Even had a few hunts in the pouring rain with no issues. I probably have about 1000 rounds through now. Been using break free clp to clean and oil the gun. Seems to be working well. Had 2 jams the first time I took it out to the clays course but nothing since. I figured it was just a break in just like you did.
RShockley
hunter

Postby mxmike26 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:06 pm

A5 with close to 500-600 rounds through it. Have dropped it in the water and had to fish it out. Only cleaned gun twice. Once last week. No spots or rust.
mxmike26
hunter

Postby mxmike26 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:08 pm

DroppnDrakes wrote:I've seen little gray spots on mine. Haven't worried much. But having trouble ejecting the shells, they get stuck. Any remedies for that!?

Mine would get stuck if I was using to light of a load. I stick with a 1 1/4 and have no issues.
mxmike26
hunter

Postby godevil2921 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:18 pm

Spoke with a Browning rep last week. They actually called me. According to the rep, the spots are normal. No real explanation other than natural patina of the metal. The jams were blamed on bad ammo. I was also told that the weak ejection of shells was an environmental design. The ejection of shells is weak so empty hulls are easily recovered. I call BS on both explanations. With the 100,000 round gaurentee mine is going back to the factory at the end of the season with photos and video of the issues. I think it's just a new design and model that doesn't have all the bugs worked out of it. I have faith hat they will make mine right once I get it sent in.
godevil2921
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:50 am

I have what sounds like the same spots on my BPS bolt. Can't get them off, can't feel them, but can see them. Does not hinder the operation of the gun so at this point I'm not too worried.
troutman561
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum