Flocked or not decoys

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Flocked or not decoys

Postby ricemanff » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:33 pm

Ok I am thinking about trying out flocked decoys. Is anyone using them and if so how are you doing? Is there a brand that is better or which one shall I stay away from. As of right now I am looking at the Dakota Decoys. They will be at my club so I will not be transporting them. They do however get picked up on shoot days. Thanks for the input in advance
"Ducks on The Water" The movie will be out one of these days
R.L.T. 3/23/81-6/27/04 Best duck hunting partner/brother ever

www.woodbutchercalls.com
ricemanff
hunter

Re: Flocked or not decoys

Postby Mean Gene » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:58 am

Why not just flock the ones you already have? It's not that hard. You'll need an airbrush for the details, but you can learn that as well...just takes time. I flock everything. It holds up well. It doesn't like continual friction though.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby bandedbrant » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:17 pm

I have a dozen Dakota mallards and a dozen Dakota pintails and love them. They are the best decoys on the market in my opinion. A little pricy but you get what you pay for. That's just my two cents.
bandedbrant
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:25 am

All my flocked decoys look like someone has rubbed spots on them. They get this oddball glare that makes the heads look lumpy at a distance.

I'm going back to cheap spray paint and goofy spreads like a j-hook dewlap capped with a c-shaped landing zone. :lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:14 am

slowshooter wrote:All my flocked decoys look like someone has rubbed spots on them. They get this oddball glare that makes the heads look lumpy at a distance.

I'm going back to cheap spray paint and goofy spreads like a j-hook dewlap capped with a c-shaped landing zone. :lol3:

Coots need no flocking
blackdog58
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:17 am

Slow ? I see black spray paint with a touch of white has worked for you ? Do you use long- lines for jerks ? :lol3: :lol3:
:thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting