Need boat advice from you old timers....

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr

Need boat advice from you old timers....

Postby bknilvr00 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:11 am

As the title suggests I need some insight from you guys who have hunted and fished for far longer than I have. Went out Saturday, expecting a 10-15 mile and hour wind, after myself and cougar made it to our destination, the wind kicked up, substantially so. Checked the forecast, wind advisory in effect. Lovely. So as the wind was getting worse, we had some decoys getting away. We hop in the boat to go retrieve it. Did great until the wind started gusting and held the boat sideways. I gave it enough throttle to swing the front end around and when I did, a wave hit the back 1/3rd of the boat, and completely douched me. Right then I decided two things, we were getting the hell outa there, and I need a bigger boat. Fast forward and hour, I hopped back in the boat alone to retrieve a duck. The wind had died down cobsiderably, so I had no trepidation going on the water. Well when I got away from the beach, the wind gusted. Turned into it to prevent a wave over the side, and when I did, the front end of the boat started lifting up.... Cougar puckered for me while watching from the safety and comfort of land... Anyways, had to really give it throttle to let the motor bite and get the nose down. I told my wife via text message that was I alive, fairly spooked, and selling my boat after the seasons over. I'm torn between getting a legit duck boat, like a bankes, or duckwater. Or should I get a welded sled since I fish as much as I hunt. Id really like some insight from you guys who have been around the block before. I want to make the best and most informed purchase. I've got plenty of time to research it, but I figured I'd start here...

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Re: Need boat advice from you old timers....

Postby washingtonmuley » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:31 am

That is exactly why I bought my Bankes. When the wind kicks up unexpectedly I still feel safe making it in. I do fish out of mine but it is make for ducks. There is a bankes for sale in the classifieds right now.
washingtonmuley
State Moderator

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:48 am

Bankes and Duckwater are set up for duck hunting. I have buddies with both boats. Fiberglass / Kevlar mix or aluminum. They do other things out of them besides duck hunt, but not ideal for all situations. It is arguable and that is why many of the guys end up with more than two boats. I went and looked at a new Duckwater a few weeks back and they are nice, but a large investment. I also have several buddies that have sleds with the camo wrap and modified tops that hunt fairly well. They don't hide as well as some of the other true duck boats, but are capable of towing out the smaller duck boats if that is a concern. If you do a lot of fishing, is it salt or freshwater? Even in big chop an open boat is prone to taking on water. I had a 17' North River and about sunk it in the salt in a similar situation. It was completely flat going out and when the tide changed the wind picked up and I did not catch the revised forecast and it when from fine to bad in about 20 minutes.

I see a lot of camo sleds on the Skagit that fish and hunt out of them. I don't ever see any of the Duckwaters / Bankes on the river being fished out. Might be a price issue more than a practical issue. If your interested in a custom Duckwater that will do both, call Steve the owner of Duckwater and he will make you want you want.

If you get caught in that situation again with a light nose, shift your fuel tank to the front and gear and quarter the waves, ride the trough of the wave towards shore and then cut up the shore line or beach it and wait it out. Throttle up / throttle down as you work your way back to shore. I made the mistake of trying to go head into the wave on a big roller in a 12' boat and when the nose went high the wind flipped the boat on me and tossed all my gear.
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby bknilvr00 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:06 pm

washingtonmuley wrote:That is exactly why I bought my Bankes. When the wind kicks up unexpectedly I still feel safe making it in. I do fish out of mine but it is make for ducks. There is a bankes for sale in the classifieds right now.

What size did you get?

bknilvr00
hunter

Postby washingtonmuley » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:12 pm

bknilvr00 wrote:
washingtonmuley wrote:That is exactly why I bought my Bankes. When the wind kicks up unexpectedly I still feel safe making it in. I do fish out of mine but it is make for ducks. There is a bankes for sale in the classifieds right now.

What size did you get?

I have the 17'6" freedom.
washingtonmuley
State Moderator

Postby bknilvr00 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:14 pm

h2ofowlr wrote: If you do a lot of fishing, is it salt or freshwater?

Almost all of my fishing is in the Snohomish river and surrounding area. I'd like to fish the salt a little but my current boat won't allow that. I really don't like water that much.... Which laughable because my biggest pastimes require it. But I'm a chicken when it comes to the salt. Hunting where I was is not too much for my current boat, its just the weather that hosed me.

bknilvr00
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:19 pm

washingtonmuley wrote:
bknilvr00 wrote:

What size did you get?

I have the 17'6" freedom.

Right on. I've looked at them online for a long time now, I can only imagine its like hunting from a limo....

bknilvr00
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:52 pm

I am sure you remember that day last season on the Big C. Pre-dawn, huge waves and a slow ride out for what turned into one of the best shoots of the season for Widgeon and Pintail. That should tell you the minimum size of boat you want clearly enough. your boat would have been in real trouble that day. Mine was big enough but it was getting close in the wind and wave conditions we dealt with. If you plan to fish and duck hunt I would most definitely look at welded and I would look at something big enough to fish the salt and still work for ducks. Seems to me a sled is exactly what you need to fit both hobbies.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Triggerman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:50 pm

bknilvr00 wrote:As the title suggests I need some insight from you guys who have hunted and fished for far longer than I have. Went out Saturday, expecting a 10-15 mile and hour wind, after myself and cougar made it to our destination, the wind kicked up, substantially so. Checked the forecast, wind advisory in effect. Lovely. So as the wind was getting worse, we had some decoys getting away. We hop in the boat to go retrieve it. Did great until the wind started gusting and held the boat sideways. I gave it enough throttle to swing the front end around and when I did, a wave hit the back 1/3rd of the boat, and completely douched me. Right then I decided two things, we were getting the hell outa there, and I need a bigger boat. Fast forward and hour, I hopped back in the boat alone to retrieve a duck. The wind had died down cobsiderably, so I had no trepidation going on the water. Well when I got away from the beach, the wind gusted. Turned into it to prevent a wave over the side, and when I did, the front end of the boat started lifting up.... Cougar puckered for me while watching from the safety and comfort of land... Anyways, had to really give it throttle to let the motor bite and get the nose down. I told my wife via text message that was I alive, fairly spooked, and selling my boat after the seasons over. I'm torn between getting a legit duck boat, like a bankes, or duckwater. Or should I get a welded sled since I fish as much as I hunt. Id really like some insight from you guys who have been around the block before. I want to make the best and most informed purchase. I've got plenty of time to research it, but I figured I'd start here...

What kind of boat (v, semi-v, flat bottom), how big is the boat, and what kind of motor are you running?

Assuming you checked the forecast BEFORE heading out, KNEW the area you'd be hunting at AND had a waterproof VHF radio, AND had enough gas AND enough PFD for EVERYONE in your boat:

Anything under 18 and 50 hp, I'll call you under powered.

Anything under 17 and 40 hp, I'call you "ballsy". Whoever jumped into that boat with you, I'll call stupid
SHOW ME YOUR WWA MEMBERSHIP CARD, OR YOU'RE SWIMMING BACK TO THE BOAT LAUNCH!!!
Triggerman
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:02 am

Triggerman wrote:Whoever jumped into that boat with you, I'll call stupid

I've been called worse by better.

Weather report the night before showed promising. Wind advisory didn't show up until after we had set up. Sooo...we had a great shoot then hung out for a break in the wind and made it back to the launch.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:04 am

At this point, I'm probably as close to an old timer as you'll find on this forum. I've done all of the stupid stuff young guys do and lived to tell the tales. :biggrin:

From what I gather you are in search of a dual purpose boat. Something to hunt out of as well as catch fish from safely.

If you are gonna fish the salt and duck hunt, you may be looking for a boat with a v hull rather than a "sled". A sled will beat you ragged in a little chop. A v hull is just a better option for open water.

So you need to decide which activity you are more willing to compromise on, duck hunting or sound/open water fishing.

There is no perfect boat for both that I am aware of.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby Cougar125 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:06 am

He did forget to upload the pics though...

Sent from my flux capacitor.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Drake Drayage » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:08 am

Your story reminds me of EXACTLY why I bought my boat 6 years ago... I was out a few guys in a small boat, wind picked up, and the boat sank right when we got it back to shore! The whole time, there was a Lowe Roughneck bobbing about 30 yards cool and collected just watching the show. Soon after, I bought a R1760SC and have never regretted it. I got another buddy that has an 1860SC.

I hunt salt and lakes just fine... I fish bass a ton. Not much river fishing for me.

Good luck!
Shade Prostaff
Blackberry Kazoo Boy Productions
Drake Drayage
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:48 am

ScaupHunter wrote:I am sure you remember that day last season on the Big C. Pre-dawn, huge waves and a slow ride out for what turned into one of the best shoots of the season for Widgeon and Pintail. That should tell you the minimum size of boat you want clearly enough. your boat would have been in real trouble that day. Mine was big enough but it was getting close in the wind and wave conditions we dealt with. If you plan to fish and duck hunt I would most definitely look at welded and I would look at something big enough to fish the salt and still work for ducks. Seems to me a sled is exactly what you need to fit both hobbies.

Yeah that was a rough ride for sure. But it didn't feel quite as sketchy as my ride Saturday. Your boat seemed to handle the rough water fairly well, despite compressing a few vertebrae
Triggerman wrote:
What kind of boat (v, semi-v, flat bottom), how big is the boat, and what kind of motor are you running?

Assuming you checked the forecast BEFORE heading out, KNEW the area you'd be hunting at AND had a waterproof VHF radio, AND had enough gas AND enough PFD for EVERYONE in your boat:

Anything under 18 and 50 hp, I'll call you under powered.

Anything under 17 and 40 hp, I'call you "ballsy". Whoever jumped into that boat with you, I'll call stupid

It's a lowe 1652 mod v with a 30 horse merc prop. Which is the max horsepower for the rig. I run a full tank of gas anytime I hunt that area. And I have three life jackets in the boat at all times.... So that means.... I had an extra! GASP! Look man, I made a post for advice. I do the best I can to be safe... But the weather caught me with my pants down. And if you read the other posts, it happens to everybody, so come down off that pedestal and hang out with us lowely weekend warriors...

bknilvr00
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:18 am

I love it when people start preaching. :lol3:

I had an old 12 foot valco with a 10 HP two stroke when I was a teenager. It would have handled the weather we faced that day on the Big C just as well as my 18 foot sled does. I used to fish it at Buoy 10 in rough weather, major tide changes, and times when other boats were in trouble. Why? She bobbed like a cork. The key was to simply slow down and troll or run at the speed the conditions allow. So what if it takes an extra hour to get back to the ramp. The biggest part of safe boating is slowing down and knowing how to operate the vessel for the conditions you are facing. So long as your boat doesn't flip in breaking waves or take a hole to the hull you can handle some very scary conditions in a small boat.

I don't reccomend it or using less boat than the water size and conditions dictate.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:29 am

Someone is fishing for this comment so...
Show your wife.
Let OP buy a BIG new boat with a fancy surface drive or he's Gunna die!".

sent from my fancy phone that has a really cool kickstand via tapaskwawk
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby bknilvr00 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:44 am

aunt betty wrote:Someone is fishing for this comment so...
Show your wife.
Let OP buy a BIG new boat with a fancy surface drive or he's Gunna die!".

sent from my fancy phone that has a really cool kickstand via tapaskwawk

I don't need a surface drive, too God awful loud. But a bigger boat, most definately...

bknilvr00
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting