back from heaven

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Re: back from heaven

Postby lbhansford » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:18 pm

Big Iron wrote:Hey man, if you drove 1600 miles to North Dakota to shoot sloughs, 2/3's your limit, including coots, spoonies, gadwalls and teal and you are good with that, then it's all :thumbsup:

And just to clarify I drove 1730 miles the see our beautiful countryside of the USA and all the cool scenic areas along the way, meet and make some great friends out there, see the Prairie Pothole lands with my own eyes, and learn a thing or two about waterfowling and upland bird hunting. Shooting birds was only PART of what going cross country on an adventure is all about in my opinion but you do as you please with your cash and gas.

this fred bear quote prett much sums up what it is REALLY all about to me.

"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be . . . time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there."
lbhansford
hunter

Postby labman63 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:49 am

Just to clarify I didn't call anyone an idiot. I just said any idiot can do it. As for standing in a pothole I've done it and it can be fun. I have a can and redhead on the wall I shot in a pothole out there. I hunted water the last day this yr because it was raining hard and I didn't want all of our field stuff soaked and then put in the trailer wet to sit out there til next yr. But to me field hunting is the ticket. If you like pothole hunting thats fine. My only grip is naming towns that some people hunt in and around. It just give first timers a place to aim for and increases hunters in that general area. Not to mention it will be much harder to get a room in the only motel in town. If I offended anyone I apoloigize.

PS. ibhansford if you hunt around where you live we prob know some of the same people. I used to work at the power plant there in Yorktown. Spent many nights at the Yorktown Pub
labman63
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:15 am

labman63 wrote:Spent many nights at the Yorktown Pub

Doing what?
:devil:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lbhansford » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:16 am

labman63 wrote:Just to clarify I didn't call anyone an idiot. I just said any idiot can do it. As for standing in a pothole I've done it and it can be fun. I have a can and redhead on the wall I shot in a pothole out there. I hunted water the last day this yr because it was raining hard and I didn't want all of our field stuff soaked and then put in the trailer wet to sit out there til next yr. But to me field hunting is the ticket. If you like pothole hunting thats fine. My only grip is naming towns that some people hunt in and around. It just give first timers a place to aim for and increases hunters in that general area. Not to mention it will be much harder to get a room in the only motel in town. If I offended anyone I apoloigize.

PS. ibhansford if you hunt around where you live we prob know some of the same people. I used to work at the power plant there in Yorktown. Spent many nights at the Yorktown Pub

12th generation from here so know pretty much everybody that is from Yorktown/Seaford if they aren't "come heres" but im guessing you are much older than me so probably not the same circle of friends. Just hit 31 day before yesterday.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby old1neck » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:24 am

Everybody doesn't have an enclosed trailer full of field decoys and layout blinds either.
What time is shooting time?
old1neck
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:47 am

lbhansford wrote:
labman63 wrote:Just to clarify I didn't call anyone an idiot. I just said any idiot can do it. As for standing in a pothole I've done it and it can be fun. I have a can and redhead on the wall I shot in a pothole out there. I hunted water the last day this yr because it was raining hard and I didn't want all of our field stuff soaked and then put in the trailer wet to sit out there til next yr. But to me field hunting is the ticket. If you like pothole hunting thats fine. My only grip is naming towns that some people hunt in and around. It just give first timers a place to aim for and increases hunters in that general area. Not to mention it will be much harder to get a room in the only motel in town. If I offended anyone I apoloigize.

12th generation from here so know pretty much everybody that is from Yorktown/Seaford if they aren't "come heres" but im guessing you are much older than me so probably not the same circle of friends. Just hit 31 day before yesterday.

dang swamp, i knew you had a litlle age on you but guess i was way off. let me know if the nursing home pond gets alot of duck traffic so when im ready to go i can shoot a few birds with ya
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:46 pm

sense jealousy good hunt ib :thumbsup:
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby burbba » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:04 pm

sounds like fun to me! at the assumed risk of being a ducktard, i'd be interested in hearing how you went about picking, booking and arranging the trip... Trust me, I wont go to your area, but i have a hard time believing its as easy as showing up, find a non-posted spot and hunt... never done a non-guided hunt outside of my local comfort zone. ive got plenty of airline miles due to working too hard, so i might not drive!

good luck in a few hours. hope to see some feathers fly myself
burbba
hunter

Previous

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting