Choke tubes for baretta a300

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Choke tubes for baretta a300

Postby frozenduckman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Howdy,

First off I'm planning on getting a baretta a300 which hopefully is a good choice. I was wondering what would be a good choice of choke for it and what is the difference between the extended choke tubes and the regular flush choke tubes besides the obvious that one sticks out farther than the other. Any help would be great. Thanks!
frozenduckman
hunter

Re: Choke tubes for baretta a300

Postby BBK » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:21 pm

Can't help you with your gun, sorry.. but I can help a little with the explanation I think.

Extended chokes have a longer taper, usually around 3" or more vs 1.5'-2" for flush. This lets the shot/wad come down to a smaller group leaving the barrel and equates to a denser pattern. I'm not sure of that makes sense or not, tried to word it as simply as possible. Sometimes they are no advantage over flush chokes, sometimes they are 20 times better. Just have to pattern and find out what works best for you. GENERALLY they give you a more even pattern vs the same constriction in flush.

Now add in patternmaster and wadwizard and you have a whole new ballgame. Those are stripper chokes. No, not that kind of stripper :lol3: . They have small studs in the extended part of the choke that grabs the wad for a split second, letting the shot separate from the wad quicker which usually makes denser patterns. That is how it is supposed to work, again you have to pattern to see if it holds true with your gun and ammo. The first thing I noticed with my patternmaster was the lack of a super long shot string. I don't believe it has any effect on waterfowling, but just something I thought I'd throw out there. I shot a cripple with it and it was a small explosion of water on the bird vs a long string of a splash in front and behind the bird. I really would'nt suggest it for a cripple finisher, I blew the head/back to pieces at 20 yards. Bloody mess.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby frozenduckman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:05 pm

Thanks for the information!
frozenduckman
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:38 am

BBK gave you a good synopsis. The A300 Outlander uses Beretta Mobil chokes and IIRC comes with 3, IC, Mod and Full. Depending on your hunting area and setup, one of these might be just fine depending on your ammo selection. I patterned the Outlander with #3 and #4 steel and found that a Light Modified Choke worked best for me at 40yds. I ended up having a flush LM from another shotgun, so I didn't have to buy one.

Before you buy anything, pattern your chokes when you get the gun and then make a decision.

If you have trouble interpreting the patterns, there are quite a few well educated members here who can help you if you have the ability to post a picture.

The extended chokes have advantages, you can see what the constriction is just by looking and they are easily removed and installed. They also give you the ability to keep them tight during the hunt.

Sent from my furloughed Obama phone
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby frozenduckman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:57 pm

Thanks for the help. I should be getting it soon so I'm definitely going to want to shoot it.
frozenduckman
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes