Optimal Decoy setup

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Optimal Decoy setup

Postby countrystyle4life » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:09 am

Hey guys so I'm wondering what you all think the answer to this is. I have always have just done kind of DIY hunts and never hunted with someone like an outfitter and just used the decoys i could carry. So my question is what do you guys think the optimal number of decoys in a spread for a duck hunt (Land and water), Canadian (land and water), lesser, spec etc. You all get the idea. I know this isn't an exact science and it really depends on what type of terrain you are specifically on but lets just say if you could how many decoys be it floaters, full bodies, shells, socks etc would you take on the different hunts. Im interested to see what y'all have to say.
countrystyle4life
hunter

Re: Optimal Decoy setup

Postby 20Goose13 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:41 am

Your asking for the holy grale that we all seek. React to what the birds dictate. If birds wont finish it means they seen something they don't like. More than not it is BAD calling or over calling.
20Goose13
Newb

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:29 am

Decoy numbers for me have a direct correlation with three things. Weather, bird traffic, and whether or not i'm on the X. Doesn't matter what species i'm hunting, my spreads are based on those three things.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Cold » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:36 am

20Goose13 wrote:Your asking for the holy grale that we all seek. React to what the birds dictate. If birds wont finish it means they seen something they don't like. More than not it is BAD calling or over calling.

I've heard this enough that often times, I simply don't call...and most groups still cruise right by my spread.

I'm inclined to agree with tornadochaser, specifically about being on the X. If you're where they want to be (and can hide), you'll get shooting, even with no spread or calls.
Cold
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum