Clinton Lake Salt Creek Waterfowl Management Area

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Clinton Lake Salt Creek Waterfowl Management Area

Postby Howell05 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:57 pm

has anyone hunted either of the 2 blinds? I was lucky enough to get a successful bid for the East Blind. My buddies and I scouted the area this past Sunday and there is alot more water than what i was expecting. Unfortunatly we all wore tennis shoes and the blinds where surrounded by flooded marsh and standing water. We did walk around the whole complex and it does look promising and by the report sheet folks have been taking several duck each day that they are allowed to hunt. Since i have never been there i have a couple questions.

Do the blinds have benches or chairs built into them?
Can we use that boat to move our gear back n forth or do we absolutely have to walk?
Is there any place to put my dog so she isn't sitting in water or a wet area?

any other good info would be greatly appreciated.

Chad
Howell05
Newb

Re: Clinton Lake Salt Creek Waterfowl Management Area

Postby gock5 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:35 pm

Yes - Benches

Yes - You can use the boat

Yes - There is a place for your dog
gock5
hunter

Postby Howell05 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:38 pm

thank you for the reply. i guess im just a little nervous about this new area.

Anyone know of issues that i should be prepared for?
Howell05
Newb

Postby asmythe32 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:21 pm

Use the boat it is there for you. There is a dog ramp that folds up on the front of the blind. There are benches in the blind. I think you could hunt 4 comfortably. When I drew a permit there a few years ago that spot was the wood duck roost. They were everywhere before lst. Good luck hope it is a good one this year.
asmythe32
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:25 pm

No issues. The deep water around the edge is marked but don't worry about it too much the blind is quite a ways from there. When I hunted there a couple years ago we had two people ride their bicycles down the levee. Also saw a monster buck run down the levee. It was cool.
asmythe32
hunter

Postby greenhead827 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:30 am

Just hunted the west blind tuesday. 3' decoys worked fine. We loaded up the boat w our gear n walked the boat to the blind. Blind was pretty nice. Cover was not the best but it worked. The blind has a dog door and a bench. 4 guys fit with no problem. Killed 5 spoonies and a teal. Should of killed more but oh well. Def a pretty cool set up. Wish I could hunt it more!
"I don't like repeat offenders......I like dead offedners!"- The Nuge
greenhead827
hunter

Postby Howell05 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:18 pm

Well im hunting the East Blind tomorrow (11/9) i really hope the warm weather and windy conditions don't cause issues. Where did my cold front go? Oh well, ill report back later on how it all went.

Thank you to all that have replied.
Howell05
Newb

Postby Howell05 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:46 am

Turned out to be a great day of hunting. Besides being a green duck hunter along with 2 others (my dad and brother) who have never hunted before we were able to rack up 6 ducks (all mallard hens).

Got all setup by 545 and by 6 we could see a small duck already running around the decoys. But offical shooting time was 605 and within that few minutes we lost him in the grass. Soon after we had several small groups coming in and after several over used calls and happy trigger fingers we managed to snag 6 birds by 830. After that it kinda died down and we went a couple hours inbetween before seeing any groups close enough to call. After 12 the wind seemed to change, we screwed up and didn't change our decoy arrangement so the landing spot put the birds at an advantage. Upon approch they could look directly into our blind and they would veer off. We took several shots but never got anything to drop. We all had fun and also learned a ton about this new spot. ill get pictures up when i can.

The guys that got the West blind left by 1pm and they recorded 0 kills in the reporting box.

We are luck enough to have the same blind this saturday as well. Hope the birds show up again so we can have another great day.
Howell05
Newb

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting