Why are hunters bashing "Duck Dynasty hunters"

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Why are hunters bashing "Duck Dynasty hunters"

Postby Drakenstien » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:21 pm

I have seen many people on this forum and other forums bashing the new flock of hunters due to the show Duck Dynasty. Why is this a big deal, I thought the goal was to get more people into hunting?

I would also like to see the duck stamp numbers for the last two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drakenstien
hunter

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:26 pm

Jealousy.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:22 am

ScaupHunter wrote:Jealousy.

Word.

I welcome all new hunters. I don't give a crap if Phyllis Diller, Ashley Judd, and Micheal Moore teamed up to get them out in the field.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Re: Why are hunters bashing "Duck Dynasty hunters"

Postby Boatman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:30 am

This!!!!
uploadfromtaptalk1383737376116.jpg
That's a 4 dollar bag of jerky.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:00 am

Overexposure will end the DD fad. Its bound to happen.

sent from my fancy phone that has a really cool kickstand via tapaskwawk
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:57 am

Slow would like a Hispanic Hunt day, not just a youth hunt day. He believes Mexicans are disadvantaged because they are generally too short to see over the front rail of a blind built for white folk.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:13 am

Boatman wrote:This!!!!

In frigging spades………..these guys may be laughing all the way to the bank, but it's a travesty on a par with the Kardashians. How the hell a self-respecting duck hunter could get on board with this blatant marketing bullshit is beyond me
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:15 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again, and again, and again...

I wish I could sell out.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:19 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:In frigging spades………..these guys may be laughing all the way to the bank, but it's a travesty on a par with the Kardashians. How the hell a self-respecting duck hunter could get on board with this blatant marketing bullshit is beyond me

Jealousy on display. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:22 am

vincentpa wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again, and again, and again...

I wish I could sell out.

There's cashing in and there's selling out………and then there's making a damned fool of yourself. But I do like playing with their gadwall call (not that any birds ever tolled to it……it's just fun to croak like a gadwall)
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:24 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:
vincentpa wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again, and again, and again...

I wish I could sell out.

There's cashing in and there's selling out………and then there's making a damned fool of yourself. But I do like playing with their gadwall call (not that any birds ever tolled to it……it's just fun to croak like a gadwall)

I never knew anyone that had that gadwall call. It really sounds like one? We get a decent push of gadwalls for a couple of weeks every year. Maybe it's worth a shot.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:24 am

Rat Creek wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:In frigging spades………..these guys may be laughing all the way to the bank, but it's a travesty on a par with the Kardashians. How the hell a self-respecting duck hunter could get on board with this blatant marketing bullshit is beyond me

Jealousy on display. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Rat……..I like to play the long odds, so I'm just gonna go ahead and take that as some good-natured ribbing from one duck hunter to another. In other news, I've been known to make the 60 yard passing shot on occasion
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:29 am

vincentpa wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:

I wish I could sell out.

I never knew anyone that had that gadwall call. It really sounds like one? We get a decent push of gadwalls for a couple of weeks every year. Maybe it's worth a shot.

Yeah, it really does (although you could do almost as well sucking on the bell end of any mallard hen call. (yeah, you heard me, VP…... suck it! :lol3: :hammer: ) However, in my experience out here, gadwalls come right in if they're gonna come, and don't if they're not. And no amount of my croaking seems to've ever affected them one way or another
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby CrazyDrake » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:34 am

I don't think it is the influx of new people everyone is worried about. I think it's the fact that its a fad, and people that don't have any business being out there go out and purchase every gadget possible and try and do it themselves. Inevitably these hunters will break all the "duck hunting commandments" and it makes for a ruined hunt for a lot of people.

I still think if all the "Duck Dynasty Hunters" would go with seasoned hunters for the first year or so(whether they are givin the opportunity or not is another story), other hunters would be able to introduce them into the "rules" of duck hunting.

If these hunters would get introduced to the actual conservation aspect of hunting first, I think it would be a great thing! But yes, running out this weekend and buying everything necessary to duck hunt when it opens in 2 weeks, is a terrible idea. Same as buying a ML today, when ML opens Saturday.
CrazyDrake
hunter

Postby assateague » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:57 am

ScaupHunter wrote:Jealousy.

Yup.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Drakenstien » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:35 am

CrazyDrake wrote:I don't think it is the influx of new people everyone is worried about. I think it's the fact that its a fad, and people that don't have any business being out there go out and purchase every gadget possible and try and do it themselves. Inevitably these hunters will break all the "duck hunting commandments" and it makes for a ruined hunt for a lot of people.

I still think if all the "Duck Dynasty Hunters" would go with seasoned hunters for the first year or so(whether they are givin the opportunity or not is another story), other hunters would be able to introduce them into the "rules" of duck hunting.

If these hunters would get introduced to the actual conservation aspect of hunting first, I think it would be a great thing! But yes, running out this weekend and buying everything necessary to duck hunt when it opens in 2 weeks, is a terrible idea. Same as buying a ML today, when ML opens Saturday.

But aren't we all going to break the commandments. That's how I got into duck hunting( sure Id been deer hunting for a while and known some boundaries ) but as far as following when I started I new nothing but the common deer "morals". We just got our duck stamps and a few decoys and went. We did not know anyone that did it just someone who happened to have some decoys and a buddy who had a mullet boat. I loved it, didn't kill much, but as an every weekend and holiday deer hunter I will be hunting for duck opening weekend of deer season. Because I could finally afford the time and money for it. Oh by the way I was 15 when I started hunting duck so you can understand my point. But wasn't I the same way.

Drakenstien
hunter

Postby assateague » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:40 am

Everyone was the same way, much as they might like to think they came out of the womb as duck killing machines.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby CrazyDrake » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:49 am

Drakenstien wrote:
CrazyDrake wrote:I don't think it is the influx of new people everyone is worried about. I think it's the fact that its a fad, and people that don't have any business being out there go out and purchase every gadget possible and try and do it themselves. Inevitably these hunters will break all the "duck hunting commandments" and it makes for a ruined hunt for a lot of people.

But aren't we all going to break the commandments. That's how I got into duck hunting( sure Id been deer hunting for a while and known some boundaries ) but as far as following when I started I new nothing but the common deer "morals". We just got our duck stamps and a few decoys and went. We did not know anyone that did it just someone who happened to have some decoys and a buddy who had a mullet boat. I loved it, didn't kill much, but as an every weekend and holiday deer hunter I will be hunting for duck opening weekend of deer season. Because I could finally afford the time and money for it. Oh by the way I was 15 when I started hunting duck so you can understand my point. But wasn't I the same way.

Yes you were the same, so was I. I'm saying that the reason people are hating the duck dynasty hunters is because there are tons of them. I still say its not a big deal, the more people we can introduce the better. But I also don't hunt public land often at all, and I try and take the duck dynasty hunters. They really are as green as it gets.

Still though, better to take them, have a good laugh with them, TEACH them, then to sit 300 yards from them and cuss them all morning.
CrazyDrake
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:50 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:
vincentpa wrote: I never knew anyone that had that gadwall call. It really sounds like one? We get a decent push of gadwalls for a couple of weeks every year. Maybe it's worth a shot.

Yeah, it really does (although you could do almost as well sucking on the bell end of any mallard hen call. (yeah, you heard me, VP…... suck it! :lol3: :hammer: ) However, in my experience out here, gadwalls come right in if they're gonna come, and don't if they're not. And no amount of my croaking seems to've ever affected them one way or another

Same here. The call does sound just like a gadwall but I have never got a gaddy to commit to it (or any call for that matter). I'm starting to think that they're deaf. :lol3:

As far as the duck dynasty thing goes, I don't really understand all the hate. I say "so what". Willy is the only one that really comes across as an ass hat to me, but that is probably just a part that he plays on tv. He appears to be a good family man who has brought up some well behaved children so good on him.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:04 am

Bunch a haters on this board!
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:21 am

Yea I guess so I never hunted much maybe 2-4 times a year so I have never truly seen it, but I can see where you are coming from. They go get a benelli, a boat, and some decoys. Get out there after daylight, 300 yards from you and shoot everything they see.

Drakenstien
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:37 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:
Boatman wrote:This!!!!

In frigging spades………..these guys may be laughing all the way to the bank, but it's a travesty on a par with the Kardashians. How the hell a self-respecting duck hunter could get on board with this blatant marketing bullshit is beyond me

Agree with this

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Rat Creek » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:11 am

Reality check time. The azzhats who are setting up too close to you, who sound terrible when calling and skybust (aka pass shoot) are not newbies or Duck Dynasty couch educated. They are average run of the mill hunters. If you doubt me, just ask them. They will not describe themselves as average, but as very experienced and quite knowledgeable. Aren’t we all??? :rolleyes:

The vast majority of people I know who are brand new to something, are very concerned about screwing up and generally ask anyone and everyone for help and guidance. The problem is often that the azzhats (aka average hunters) will not give them the time of day and see it as an opportunity to behave like jerks. :no:

A guy I work with and his 13 year old son hunt deer, but they love duck dynasty and want to try it out. I will be bringing them to our club and while I will try to give some guidance, I will not bat an eye to him showing his face, blowing his call terribly or missing shots. I do all three every time I hunt. :thumbsup:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:21 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:

I wish I could sell out.

best call ever made for working gaddies...if you can get them talkin, they are pretty much done and will float down over your deeks feet down. :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:25 am

assateague wrote:Everyone was the same way, much as they might like to think they came out of the womb as duck killing machines.

not me....I was taught how to hunt ducks at my families lease. I was told the rules up front, and learned to call ducks by watching someone that knew what the hell they were doing.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Controversial Issues Forum