Swamp Hole Ideas

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Swamp Hole Ideas

Postby Powerstroke9773 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:48 pm

Alright i live in northeast north carolina. I also wanna make this clear i am not a new duck hunter i have blinds on the open river I hunt most of the season but just came across some land and would like to have a walk in spot that i dont have to trailer the boat too efery morning i wanna hunt. I have 20 Acres of land roughly 1/4 is dry land we deer hunt and the rest is flooded timber ; cypress, tupelos, and gums. I have found a spot thats roughly 400 yards from a open river a decent sized river too. My main question is how big should the hole be. I have been sitting in the stand and had woodies buzz by my head in the thick woods so i know their in there but im not sure what size is a good size for the mallards and bigger migratory birds im not used to hunting a whole lot of flooded timber and this stuff is thick. Right now the spot is about 50 yards long by 20 to 25 yards wide i left a few tres standing and cut the rest off bout waist high to give cover and some handholds when transiting to and from picking ducks up. Second question is is there anything i can get back there this late in the season to make them wanna be in there opposed to putting corn in before season and hoping they come back after its gone. Only down side is all deer season its been filled up bout knee deep now its a slop hole with barely any water im hoping a shift in wind will fill her back up. I appreciate any help in advanced thanks guys.
Attachments
swamp 2.jpg
swamp 1.jpg
Powerstroke9773
hunter

Re: Swamp Hole Ideas

Postby Huntfish12 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:39 am

I suggest getting closer to the bigger or main body of water. Looks kinda shaddy in there, as in too thick. Then again, i Dont hunt flooded timber, Im only going by what i see on videos.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:45 am

Looks like a death trap for a hunter or a dog with all those cut trees IMO. I think it would be very easy to trip over a root or snap and impale yourself on one of those.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Powerstroke9773 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:53 pm

ya i thought about that before i cut em but the waters down now so my thinkning on it was if their waist high the water never gets over knee so i wont be tripping over stumps and ill have something to hold on to walking also the water is sssssslllllooooowwwly coming back up checked on it today and its just barely covered the ground
Powerstroke9773
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:00 am

There is no way a duck is going to be able to get down in there other than maybe a lone woodie. Break out the chainsaw and open that sucker up, cut all those other ones down except for a few. Then cut all those stumps you left off at the ground or you are going to skewer yourself.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:21 am

Powerstroke9773 wrote:ya i thought about that before i cut em but the waters down now so my thinkning on it was if their waist high the water never gets over knee so i wont be tripping over stumps and ill have something to hold on to walking also the water is sssssslllllooooowwwly coming back up checked on it today and its just barely covered the ground

Even if there aren't stumps or roots to trip over, if there is small amounts of water I would think that ground is going to stay fairly mucky. Foot gets stuck in mud while your going to get a bird, lose your balance and you have a spear through your body. Not trying to be negative just pointing out something that looks potentially hazardous.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Powerstroke9773 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:56 pm

Thanks guys so how big should it be then i have a chainsaw and ill just go back there after deer season and open it up for next year but how big would you make it ?
Powerstroke9773
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:25 pm

About 40 yds across if you can. If not, as big as you can get it while still maintaining some cover around it. Clear it out so only a couple sticks are sticking out of the water, should look like a nice little open pothole to the birds. Don't make it perfectly round either, make it oblong or jagged around the edges so it doesn't look man-made to the birds.

Can you get back to it with a 4 wheeler? If so, drive around in circles to compact it down a bit so it will hold a little more water next year. And while you are there you might as well hook onto a couple good sized logs and drag them into your pothole. That will look very good to the birds next year!

If you can get it to hold water you should be golden. But again, I would suggest opening up the trees around it a bit (cut every other one down) so birds can see you from a ways off. Won't matter for local birds, but the migrators have to be able to see it from the river or they won't even know you are there.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting