Landing zone problems!

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Landing zone problems!

Postby teal12 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:31 am

I was out last Sunday hunting a blind on private property using 18 mallards 6 teal and 12 reprinted blue bill with 7 mojo mallards. I had the landing zone set about 20 yards from the blind with a well defined C shape about 10 yards wide and 15 deep. We had several birds come in and set to land but they were all on the outside of the spread. The C was open with the wind so the ducks were setting to land against the wind. Any ideas why they were wanting to land on the outside of my spread. Any and all help would be great.
teal12
hunter

Re: Landing zone problems!

Postby aunt betty » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:11 am

Ducks don't like flying over other ducks to land. If the sitting ones decide to take off right when landing ones glide over they could collide mid-air.

sent from my fancy phone that has a really cool kickstand via tapaskwawk
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:27 am

Birds land where they want to land :lol3: .......... I gave up on landing zones years ago...... partially because it never fails that no matter how I set them the wind would change 5-6 times during the hunt screwing them up anyway.....
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:25 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:Birds land where they want to land :lol3: .......... I gave up on landing zones years ago...... partially because it never fails that no matter how I set them the wind would change 5-6 times during the hunt screwing them up anyway.....

Yup. Unless you are talking huge groups of birds, they will land in and around the decoys as they please. As for wind change, the opener Saturday was supposed to be a north wind, it started out as a west wind for the majority of the hunt. Just throw them out there randomly.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:08 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:Birds land where they want to land :lol3: .......... I gave up on landing zones years ago...... partially because it never fails that no matter how I set them the wind would change 5-6 times during the hunt screwing them up anyway.....

Disagree. I have had birds finish in pockets predicted a majority of the time. There are a few that choose their own route, but for majority of the time they finish where I want them to. I had pockets of five to seven yards wide and they finished there for three days straight last season.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Stish85 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:52 pm

I have noticed that for me to get birds to finish in the hole the bigger the landing zone the better, within reason obviously. I quite regularly have a landing zone that is 30 yards across. I also hunt big water and usually have 4 to 6 dozen decoys so a large landing zone is easier to accomplish. I have also just thrown the decoys randomly and done well, however I find using a landing had worked best for me. Just look at what your typical flock size is the bigger the flocks the larger the landing zone should be.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter

Postby Smith » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:59 am

Looks like there are two schools of thought on this. I'm with the "random" guys; pitch the decoys out, sit down, and shut up. Sometimes they try to land on top of me. Other times, they land outside the farthest decoys. And when a flock comes in, they sure don't all land together; they scatter all over the spread as they see fit. I keep all, or at least most, of the decoys close to me so I can get a shot whether they land in the rig or just outside it.
Smith
hunter

Postby whtelk » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:46 am

I try to force birds to land in a spot. Really doesn't work all the time. But when it does I take credit for it... LOL
whtelk
hunter

Postby Smith » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:34 am

whtelk wrote:I try to force birds to land in a spot. Really doesn't work all the time. But when it does I take credit for it... LOL

Now there's the best answer so far. I love it.
Smith
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:08 pm

teal12 wrote:I was out last Sunday hunting a blind on private property using 18 mallards 6 teal and 12 reprinted blue bill with 7 mojo mallards. I had the landing zone set about 20 yards from the blind with a well defined C shape about 10 yards wide and 15 deep. We had several birds come in and set to land but they were all on the outside of the spread. The C was open with the wind so the ducks were setting to land against the wind. Any ideas why they were wanting to land on the outside of my spread. Any and all help would be great.

PROBABLY your problem right there. They are most likely shying away from the mojos as they are committing, thus landing on the outside of your spread. We had the same problem, then we started shutting the spinners off on the second swing and that helped get the birds to commit to the hole instead of outside the dekes.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:39 pm

I have ran up to 15 spinners before in a field. Never had a problem.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:26 pm

It all depends on where your at as far as the mojos...you guys further north can tear the ducks up with em..down here where im at...they are useless, you better put them up if you want a bird to come within a mile of you.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:49 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:I have ran up to 15 spinners before in a field. Never had a problem.

And I've had ducks land literally less than a foot from the spinners. It all depends on the mood of the birds. I'm just saying what could be happening. The birds we are shooting right now that just came out of MN are super decoy shy. They want nothing to do with spinners.
BBK
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Get rid of the 7 spinners? :fingerhead:
duckman27
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:23 am

I have always been anti-spinner, after multiple seasons of watching ducks go right past me and drop on the guy next to me with a spinner, I bought one. With that being said, I believe using multiple spinners is more of a field tactic that resembles birds in a feeding frenzy. Whereas on the water I think 1 or 2 is the most needed. I usually pull mine after the first 45 minutes of hunting, especially on blue bird days. After the first split, the mojo never comes out.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:25 am

LiquidA45 wrote:I have always been anti-spinner, after multiple seasons of watching ducks go right past me and drop on the guy next to me with a spinner, I bought one. With that being said, I believe using multiple spinners is more of a field tactic that resembles birds in a feeding frenzy. Whereas on the water I think 1 or 2 is the most needed. I usually pull mine after the first 45 minutes of hunting, especially on blue bird days. After the first split, the mojo never comes out.

Why do you pull yours at daylight? They work best when the most light is reflected off the wings. Bright sunny days are best for spinners, birds will see them from miles off.
BBK
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:18 am

BBK wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:I have always been anti-spinner, after multiple seasons of watching ducks go right past me and drop on the guy next to me with a spinner, I bought one. With that being said, I believe using multiple spinners is more of a field tactic that resembles birds in a feeding frenzy. Whereas on the water I think 1 or 2 is the most needed. I usually pull mine after the first 45 minutes of hunting, especially on blue bird days. After the first split, the mojo never comes out.

Why do you pull yours at daylight? They work best when the most light is reflected off the wings. Bright sunny days are best for spinners, birds will see them from miles off.

Like you said, there better the visibility, the farther away the birds can see it....and the see it the entire time they are coming to the spread. The more time they have to look at it the more time they have to figure out something fishy is going on. On blue bird days they can also stay up higher and circle checking it out only to realize its still just sitting there spinning. I will leave them out when visibility is not good so that they have to get close to check it out. I prefer the jerk string when visibility is good. Those are all just my opinions. By the time birds get here they have been through 4-6 states and seen mojos the whole way. I know guys swear by them and use them their entire hunt, just hasn't worked like that for me in my experiences.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:28 am

LiquidA45 wrote:
BBK wrote:

Like you said, there better the visibility, the farther away the birds can see it....and the see it the entire time they are coming to the spread. The more time they have to look at it the more time they have to figure out something fishy is going on. On blue bird days they can also stay up higher and circle checking it out only to realize its still just sitting there spinning. I will leave them out when visibility is not good so that they have to get close to check it out. I prefer the jerk string when visibility is good. Those are all just my opinions. By the time birds get here they have been through 4-6 states and seen mojos the whole way. I know guys swear by them and use them their entire hunt, just hasn't worked like that for me in my experiences.

That is why they sell on/off remotes. Use the spinners as a tool, not a decoy. When the birds have turned from seeing your spinner and are coming your way, turn it off and work your ducks like normal. You wouldn't jerk the string the whole time the birds are working would you? Use the same principle and common sense with the spinners, if you are afraid of them flaring then turn them off.
BBK
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:25 am

BBK wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:
BBK wrote:

That is why they sell on/off remotes. Use the spinners as a tool, not a decoy. When the birds have turned from seeing your spinner and are coming your way, turn it off and work your ducks like normal. You wouldn't jerk the string the whole time the birds are working would you? Use the same principle and common sense with the spinners, if you are afraid of them flaring then turn them off.

Been wanting one with a remote, just haven't had the money. If I did I would be doing exactly what you just said.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:27 am

Take a look at the cheap mojo remote thread. For $18 you can wire one up. :thumbsup: Very easy to do, even if you do not have a soldering iron.
BBK
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:31 am

BBK wrote:Take a look at the cheap mojo remote thread. For $18 you can wire one up. :thumbsup: Very easy to do, even if you do not have a soldering iron.

Never thought to try that out. Thanks for that link!
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:42 am

They are a waste of time and money! People are having trouble with MSI remotes. Read the threads. Hunting partner has one has can't get it to work. Only clicks and does nothing. It's a common problem. I can quote an email from MSI that I have commenting that their remotes are for personalized projects and nothing else even though they advertise Mojo in their descriptions. Cheap, but not worth the frustrations.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:43 am

And, we set the decoys today with theory like always. Guess what? Birds finished into the hole I wanted. 12-15 yard shots. Go figure.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:26 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:They are a waste of time and money! People are having trouble with MSI remotes. Read the threads. Hunting partner has one has can't get it to work. Only clicks and does nothing. It's a common problem. I can quote an email from MSI that I have commenting that their remotes are for personalized projects and nothing else even though they advertise Mojo in their descriptions. Cheap, but not worth the frustrations.

And a heck of a lot of people have had no problems and they work perfectly. :thumbsup:

Sounds like your buddy doesnt have it wired correctly. When it clicks but doesnt turn on, the mechanism in the remote is making the contact but the current isnt getting through to the decoy... Had the same problem until I realized I wired it wrong. Or he bought the wrong one and got a 0v output and wired it for 6v output. Have him open it up and check the soldered connections.

I don't know what you mean by they are made for personalized project... thats what you are doing. Have you looked at the circuit board inside it? its the same as the mojo ones.. just a different looking board. :lol3: They all do the exact same thing, the range and on/off issues is remote related. They use the same system as mojo/edge receivers, just a different remote.

Just make sure you buy the long range one and you are good to go, supposed to work for 160 yds, but 100-120 is more realistic.
BBK
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:36 pm

Electronics is not my downfall. I worked at RadioShack for seven years and IT support for another Fortune 500. It's the receivers and not the remotes or the spinners. I have had three in the past. All returned.

Reference the email from MSI the "personal project" was their disclaimer reply knowing that some receivers aren't working on spinners.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Next

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting