Lac qui Parle waterfowl hunting

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Lac qui Parle waterfowl hunting

Postby Anthosunie » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:22 am

Hi guys. I'm planning a trip next weekend to Lac qui Parle for some duck hunting. It would be my first time going there and I have some questions for you guys. I am planning to go scout out on Friday and hunt Saturday and Sunday. I was thinking about using a dnr blind on Saturday morning and then going to other WMAs in the areas the remainder of my trip. Is it worth the time to use those public blinds or better off going elsewhere? I have a boat and canoe. Which would be better fit to bring? Or am I going to be able to just use my wader? I'm a little concern that most of the little ponds and sloughs would be frozen. If they are, would field hunting for ducks be an option? Any other information you guys think I would need would greatly be appreciated. Thanks again.

Anthony
Anthosunie
hunter

Re: Lac qui Parle waterfowl hunting

Postby goldfish » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:26 pm

The DNR has a "progress report"of how successful each blind is. I've never had a problem getting a water blind, it seems to be the land blinds that everyone wants. My dad said he's never been skunked on the blind he used, but that was years ago and I got skunked at "his" blind.

Some wma ponds are deep, some are shallow, some are "shallow" with no bottom. I lost decoys because I thought I could walk a whole pond once out there. You won't be able to just walk the dnr blinds. The canoe would get you pretty much everywhere including the deep ponds on wmas but you have to promise me if you use it for the DNR blinds that you pay attention to the weather because if the wind whips along the lake, the waves can get pretty decent sized quick and the productive blinds are down towards the far end usually (for ducks).

This is all assuming the little water will still be open tho. If it does get locked up, the boat on the river/lakes might be phenomenal. Who knows (if I did, I'd capitalize on that and be rich!).

It may take some work to find fields that aren't leased, but that's not to say a you can't find fields to hunt.

Good luck! And if I'm way off on any if this, someone please speak up.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:18 pm

Lqp refuge blinds = snow fences right next to the road. Most of the lakes in that area are very shallow and are most likely frozen by now. I'm 120 miles north of there and all of the shallow water here is frozen, maybe the wind will open it up, who knows. Fields are hard to get access to. The last several years the big push of geese hasn't come down until December. Not trying to discourage you, if you try it and would like some specifics pm me. Good luck.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:05 pm

Did you get out to lqp? Are you there now? When you get some time i would enjoy hearing a report, good luck and thanks.
StuStiltman
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting