See any GREEN yet

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Re: See any GREEN yet

Postby dukhntr » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:10 pm

You boys need to keep it clean or get booted! Not gonna put up with it fellas..... :no:
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby EcatMagoo » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:12 pm

John O`Neal wrote:
ks_waterfowler wrote:Lots of mallards around if you look for them. Even in the SE zone where "they don't show up until later". My limit last Saturday could've been all mallards if I would've held out, but I live other ducks so much.

You know Ks waterfowler I`m gonna call bullshit on you on this one and that master widgeon killer story also. It seems as no one can post up on here without being subject to your name calling or some form of ridicule from you . In just the last two seasons you have called your fellow forum members stupid , morons ,idiots loudmouths ,Quack,douche-bag, retard, and your latest, dick-munch ,and that`s just the short list . And by the way what is a dick-munch anyway is that, some gay code word for cocksucker. Hell you even told one of the forum members on here (Ecat) you hoped he died in a car wreck. He must have dared to have a differing opinion than yours. I believe it was in that same post where you said " F**k Duck Hunting Chat I`m through with it" I`m quitting this forum. But as luck would have it, here you are spouting your sarcastic laden remarks and cynical opinions . You even went so far as to brag about having your posting privileges suspended for name calling on a different forum. I would have understood it if it was just me you are directing your crap at, considering our diverse opinions regarding the SE zone, but your confrontational attitude and name calling can be seen on a variety of waterfowl forums . Why do you feel the need to be so critical and condescending in your commentary . What does it matter what type of duck a hunter has a preference for or what brand or how many decoys he has ? Why do you think that gives you the right to call him a douche bag , a moron, retard or any other of the derogatory terms your so fond of. It`s no surprise that hunters are reluctant to post -up their experiences here knowing full well they may have to bear the brunt of your criticisms and your , "I could have done it better bullshit stories." I don`t expect anyone to take my word for what I have posted here . I want you to read it all for yourselves It`s all there.

I had forgotten about the "hope you die in a car wreck statement" It caught me off guard when he said that because we had not been arguing at all. I was making a statement in favor of the early zone season. And then he was wishing for my death. haha... :thumbsup:
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:11 pm

T Man wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:Flynfold, try another color, they eat pretty well also, that is except for the other green called spoonies, they taste like crap LOL

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You know they both eat the same thing right?

Tman, Northern Shovelers eat a lot of the same things other puddle ducks do, true BUT they also eat, invertebrates (caddis fly larvae, dragonfly nymphs and surface plankton, I don't believe other puddles ducks do this. This is probably what gives them the dirty taste that they have. Maybe some of the new young hunters we now have in the sport might like to eat them BUT I seriously doubt you find to many old school hunters dining on them JMHO
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby flynfold » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:08 pm

I will shoot most any ducks that lands in my decoys. I lay off the spoonies and mallard hens. I shoot 3 gaddies, GWT and nice widgeon for the wall the other day. Usually when the mallards and the snows arrive means the migration is in full swing. was only trying to gauge the migration with my post. Just get out and enjoy it, the season will be gone before you know it.
flynfold
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:46 pm

flynfold, Id say the migration is going good, hunting pheasants today I counted 7 flights of Canadas, 4 flights of snows, 2 flights of sandhills, all flying high and south and that was between 6:30 and 11:00
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby radfordc » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:32 pm

Doesn't sound too much different to me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Shoveler
Northern Shovelers feed by dabbling for plant food, often by swinging its bill from side to side and using the bill to strain food from the water. They use their highly specialized bill (from which their name is derived) to forage for aquatic invertebrates – a carnivorous diet. Their wide-flat bill is equipped with well-developed lamellae – small, comb-like structures on the edge of the bill that act like sieves, allowing the birds to skim crustaceans and plankton from the water's surface. This adaptation, more specialized in shovelers, gives them an advantage over other puddle ducks, with which they do not have to compete for food resources during most of the year. Thus, mud-bottomed marshes rich in invertebrate life are their habitat of choices.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallard
The Mallard is omnivorous and very flexible in its foods choice. Its diet may vary based on several factors, including the stage of the breeding cycle, short-term variations in available food, nutrient availability, and inter- and intraspecific competition.[18] The majority of the Mallard's diet seems to be made up of gastropods, invertebrates (including beetles, flies, lepidopterans, dragonflies, and caddisflies), crustaceans, worms, many varieties of seeds and plant matter, and roots and tubers. During the breeding season, male birds were recorded to have eaten 37.6% animal matter and 62.4% plant matter, most notably Echinochloa crus-galli, and nonlaying females ate 37.0% animal matter and 63.0% plant matter, while laying females ate 71.9% animal matter and only 28.1% plant matter.[19] Plants generally make up a larger part of the bird's diet, especially during autumn migration and in the winter.
radfordc
hunter

Postby T Man » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:55 pm

cluckmeister wrote:
T Man wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:Flynfold, try another color, they eat pretty well also, that is except for the other green called spoonies, they taste like crap LOL

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You know they both eat the same thing right?

Tman, Northern Shovelers eat a lot of the same things other puddle ducks do, true BUT they also eat, invertebrates (caddis fly larvae, dragonfly nymphs and surface plankton, I don't believe other puddles ducks do this. This is probably what gives them the dirty taste that they have. Maybe some of the new young hunters we now have in the sport might like to eat them BUT I seriously doubt you find to many old school hunters dining on them JMHO

When they get here ill be sure to get plenty of pictures of your majestic mallards feeding on the crap ponds.

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:27 pm

Tman, I don't think of mallards as majestic, and theyre not MINE or was the word your. I personally would rather eat teal that's been seasoned, rolled in egg and coated with Harold Ensley's fish coating, but even that great mixture wont make a spoonie tasty. But if you think they're so great tasting, Ill continue to not shoot them which will leave more for you. Enjoy!

Anyone else out there love to eat spoonies
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:37 am

cluckmeister wrote:Tman, I don't think of mallards as majestic, and theyre not MINE or was the word your. I personally would rather eat teal that's been seasoned, rolled in egg and coated with Harold Ensley's fish coating, but even that great mixture wont make a spoonie tasty. But if you think they're so great tasting, Ill continue to not shoot them which will leave more for you. Enjoy!

Anyone else out there love to eat spoonies

Its not that I love to eat them, but I'm not too good to pass them up either. If you can distinguish between a properly cooked spoonie and a properly cooked mallard you must have the most delicate of palletes and definately missed your calling as a wine somminet.

Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:26 pm

Tman it doesn't take much of a palate to tell the difference, but you're one probably of those younger guys that still think a hamburger from 5 Guys tastes better than Prime Rib from The Road House. And if you did think prime rib is better, you'd want it cooked well done instead of rare.

Just and old timer, ROFLOL
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby radfordc » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:46 pm

What do you suppose this old boy tastes like?
Attachments
Mallardmeal.jpg
radfordc
hunter

Postby radfordc » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:57 pm

Saw this posted in the "what's for lunch" thread. He says you can't tell the difference between spoonies and pintails cooked like this. I agree...you marinade it and wrap it in bacon and they all taste great!

Greenheadindy wrote:
Bunker wrote:
Professor_Leakey wrote:Bunker came down from Maine for a visit and we had some bacon wrapped Teal breasts on skewers. Lots of black pepper on them. Pink in the middle. Delicious. :beer:

Is there a word better than Delicious? If there is, then I'd use that one!!! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk

Best duck recipie out there, IMO. had a mixed bag of hollywoods and pinners, made them all this way and couldn't tell the difference. Might have to try it on coots next, as that's all I've seen the last two times out.
radfordc
hunter

Postby radfordc » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:59 pm

The Missouri guys are having the same discussion: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=340882

They all seem to like spoonies.
radfordc
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:16 pm

I've been hunting 26 days so far this season, and haven't gotten a shot at a mallard yet. My neighbor got a couple last week, though.
mudpack
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:40 pm

First hunt of the year tomorrow. Hoping this cold weather pushed some birds down and it being a Tuesday will mean not as many hunters. :beer:
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:22 pm

cluckmeister wrote:. And if you did think prime rib is better, you'd want it cooked well done instead of rare.

There are disagreements, and then there are things that flat earn ass-kickings. Ordering any red meat anything beyond Med. Rare qualifies for an ass-kicking.

T Man
Super Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:47 pm

T Man wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:. And if you did think prime rib is better, you'd want it cooked well done instead of rare.

There are disagreements, and then there are things that flat earn ass-kickings. Ordering any red meat anything beyond Med. Rare qualifies for an ass-kicking.

Damn, all this talk about red meat got the taste buds going for Prime Rib, Im on the way to The Texas Road House,
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:33 pm

:beer:
Attachments
image.jpg
cyoung24
hunter

Postby DAA » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:46 pm

Hi guys..been lurking, decided to join (This ought to be good) :hammer:
1. I have seen GWT in the field, but they just buzzed a Goose Spread and never circled or showed any interest in landing.
2.Puddle Ducks do eat invertebrates , not limited to Shovelers.Right after the last flood I saw Teal on the small puddles every day. There was nothing there but silty sand, no seeds, no crops.I asked the local F&W guy what they were eating? Same thing those Gadwall there on the lake are.. invertebrates . I had Mallards out on the river land and watched them flatten out and sift something in the water..I assume plankton. Never had a problem eating Spoonies. But you can have the Divers....all of them.
3.If the Prime Rib is from a franchise with "Road House" in the name, you can have that to.I will take a King Cut Rare from 2 local places or Plaza 3 in KC if not, 5 guys is really an option. And I'm old. JMHO
DAA
Newb

Postby quackattack1991 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:17 am

Saw a lot of ducks moving mid morning today. Wasn't even worth setting up for sunrise in my opinion.

On the other hand, I saw thousands of migrator geese today during my 2 hour drive. I would say that cold front finally pushed through here. Should be getting good guys. Depending on location, I think this weekend has a lot of potential with new ducks in the area dn warmer temps keeping them around.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby CBRS » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:55 pm

In the interior of Alaska in Decemeber there resides a large number of Mallards. Since Ak is void of corn, peas, beans, milo but full of dead and dying Salmon what do you think those Mallards are eating????

Yep...Salmon roe and eggs. Sitting shoulder to shoulder with their red head merganser cousins!!!
CBRS
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:41 pm

mudpack wrote:I've been hunting 26 days so far this season, and haven't gotten a shot at a mallard yet. My neighbor got a couple last week, though.

Mudpack Mallards had been in short supply around here also until yesterday. The cold front that pushed through Monday night introduced a lot of green to the neighborhood. It was game on from the moment we got our guns loaded with birds desperately dieing to get into the spread and some excellent dog work from my buddy Mike`s Lab Lizzie . On one retrieve she had evidently marked both birds down ,as she picked up the first bird, then swam through the decoys and picked up the second one in her mouth also. Two birds one retrieve. Perhaps that's common among highly trained retrievers but she did this on her own for the first time . Her owner ,Mike was more than pleased with her efforts . We had a great time and a lot of fun . Every time I busted one of those fat green-heads hovering over the decoys my buddy's, Mike and Cliff, would scream out "Mallard Elitist" . I had told them of the moniker ks .waterfowler had given me in an earlier post in this thread . You know it felt kinda good, we all laughed. I hope the front pushed birds your way also and you guys are having as much fun as I had yesterday. Were going after them again tomorrow. Hope you have a great day and a great hunt also.

My hunting buddy`s Mike Cliff and Lizzie pose with with the evidence .
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby flynfold » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:29 pm

at boy John O, I'm green with envy, way to get after it!
flynfold
hunter

Postby wtrfwlr43 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:00 am

Wednesday was a good day for me. Couldn't pass up on the redhead or pintail even with the mallards flying :yes:

[imgImage][/img]
wtrfwlr43
hunter

Postby L0ngh0rn30 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:23 am

John O`Neal wrote:On one retrieve she had evidently marked both birds down ,as she picked up the first bird, then swam through the decoys and picked up the second one in her mouth also. Two birds one retrieve. Perhaps that's common among highly trained retrievers but she did this on her own for the first time .

It looks like you guys had a great hunt and have a great dog. I put retrieving two birds at once in the "owner preference" category. Some say it could lead to a hard mouth, especially when retrieving larger birds. If your buddy plans on advancing her through testing / field trials it will end up being an issue, but for now it sounds like she is literally trying to kill two birds with one swim! Hats off to you, your hunting partner, and his dog on a great hunt. :clapping:
L0ngh0rn30
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting