k, I NEED A RECIPE!

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: birddog crazy, SPatrick, 870shooter

k, I NEED A RECIPE!

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:12 pm

I need a duck recipe, for duck breasts either in oven, on grill, or something of the like other than the wrap with bacon method. I want a recipe that really makes em taste irresistible, I have some family members that swear you cant make duck taste any better than shoe leather or raw beef liver. I want to prove them wrong with something that will keep them coming back to the plate of duck at dinner time. any ideas? thanks a million! oh and I have a few teal, mostly mallards, shovelers, gadwalls, pintails. also any snow goose recipes would be greatly appreciated.
"we are endowed by our creator to whack em and stack em!"~Phil Robertson
"peter; Arise, Kill, And Eat."
"every beast that walketh the earth, all the fowl of the air and every fish of the sea I give unto you for food"
CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter

Re: k, I NEED A RECIPE!

Postby Linhardt » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Here is my opinion. With a lot of recipes they tell you many different ways to fix duck by marinate, brine, soak, wrap in bacon, etc., but that only masks the duck taste. But to me its all in how you prep the duck prior to cooking with any recipe to get the best flavor from a duck regardless of which recipe you use. Most people would not even fathom doing this to ducks, it is kind of a lost art of duck preparation. But aging ducks is the best way to go. In the old days they used to hang the ducks by the head until the body fell from the head. But the way I do it is take a freshly killed duck whole, not plucked or gutted (As long at it is not a bad gut shot duck) and put it in the fridge breast up for 12 -14 days. You might want to dedicate a second fridge for this because a lot of people in your household may not like seeing a duck in the fridge. Then you would prepare it however you want. Most time I just breast out the duck and put a little Montreal seasoning or steak seasoning and grill it to no more than medium rare. If you cook it longer it will start to get a liver taste to it. It will taste almost like a steak. Don't knock it until you try it. But aging will help with the overall flavor of a duck prior to putting in a recipe. Some age for longer, but seems the consensus averages 12 - 14 days. You can go to about any duck hunting forum in their cooking section and search aging duck and there will be many posts on the topic. Hope that helps.
Anthony Linhardt
Linhardt
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:25 pm

Take your breasts and fillet the meat off the bone. Soak in salt water the night prior to cooking. That morning, take them out of the salt water and rinse. Cut the breast meat into narrow strips and marinade in teriaki sauce for the day. That evening stir fry some sliced up green peppers, onions, tomatoes, etc. in a little bit of oil. Season with what ever you like, we use a lot of garlic and some salt. When the vegi's are almost done add the duck meat and cook until done. Sliced in narrow strips of meat won't take long to cook. We have had most people tell us they can not tell the difference between this and the beef fajitas at the local mexican restrurant except for the fact that the duck is much more tender than what they call beef at the resturant.
Budweiser ProStaff
Team Biscuits and Gravy (no better team exists!)
Victorias Secrets Catalog Model Recruiter
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:57 pm

thank you both so much. i will test both and see wich i like best lol. so everything i hear or read says to cook ducks on the rare side, i come from a family where rare anything, even pink, is frowned upon. they think that its "bloody" or somthing. anyway, dad always thought u had to cook fowl of anykind long enough to get it all the way done to kill salminella poisioning, i disagree, and i think i will try to cook it on the rare side and just not tell them and then when they are like "wow, this is good!" then i will tell them "thats cause its still almost quckin, just knocked the wings off and threw it on a plate!" lol :yes:
"every beast that walketh the earth, all the fowl of the air and every fish of the sea I give unto you for food"
CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:19 pm

I am a big fan of a good duck gumbo or duck and rice. The only thing is you need to pluck your ducks instead of just breasting them out. Those dishes have turned many nay sayers into duck eaters. Also you can fry with salt pepper and flower and 3/4 way through cooking pour triple sec in and light it on fire. That one gives it more of a sweet taste.
swampchicken
hunter

Postby summit20 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:38 pm

Summit20

No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often... T. Roosevelt
summit20
hunter

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:38 pm

thanks for the video. it didnt show what he used for seasoning, etc. do you know? and man thoose things look bloody still! lol
CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter

Postby summit20 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:15 am

I would say it was a simple salt, pepper, and some garlic powder for a little more flavor. And yes, the more you cook these ducks the more they are going to resemble the leather taste you referenced at your initial post. If you are not able to eat them more towards rare I would stir you more towards the marinated fajitas or a dish similar to those.
Summit20

No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often... T. Roosevelt
summit20
hunter

Postby MODAKR » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:49 am

this is a recipe for pheasant that i really liked and so i tried it with some teal and it was phenomenal. I highly recommend giving it a try. my take on wild game from what i've read and what i've experienced is that its always better when it hasn't been frozen. obviously, can't eat all of them right away, but i try to prepare some fresh vs freezing and making later. i clean my birds by filet'ing breasts or taking out whole breast on small birds (teal) then soak in salt water (change water each day) for 2-4 days.

Pheasant in Garlic Wine sauce:

1 pheasant, 2-3 pounds (i made 4 teal this past weekend)
1/2 cup red wine - any red wine as long as its not sweet
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 tablespoon fresh parsley, roughly chopped - approx 2 tbsp if not fresh
2 cloves garlic, minced - i buy already minced in a jar and use 2 tsp
2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 teaspoon marjoram

Rinse pheasant and pat dry with paper towel. Place pieces in a resealable plastic bag. Combine remaining ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Pour mixture over pheasant, seal bag, and allow to marinate in refrigerator for 6-12 hours. (i have marinated up to 24 hrs)
Preheat grill for medium-high heat. Remove pheasant from plastic bag, reserving marinade. Place pieces on lightly oiled grill rack and allow to cook for 15 minutes basting occasionally with marinade. Reduce to medium heat and continue basting for another 15 minutes. Let bird cook for a total of 1 hour. Remove from heat and serve.

I grilled them on foil cause i think it keeps them from drying out/burning. Key as everyone says is not to over cook. i check them frequently for internal temp and stop when they get to 160. might be a little too much but juice still ran a little red. food safety says to cook to 165, but its a fine line between safety and ruining. i like rice or some pasta with the duck. i've also tried wrapping with bacon to keep moisture in (other issue with wild game is its so lean there isn't fat to keep it moist). didn't notice diff between bacon wrapped and not bacon wrapped though.
MODAKR
hunter

Postby franchifowler » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:34 am

MODAKR wrote:1/4 teaspoon marjoram

MODARK is a fancy guy! :biggrin:

I've used a very similar receipt (also cooked on aluminum foil) with great results. I think 99% of the game receipts out there are great, people just overcook everything and ruin it. If your scared of cooking waterfowl and ruining it do some test batches. Cook 3-4 breasts and pull them off the grill at set intervals. Check each one out and find the one that is best and then cook to that time/temperature every time you cook a meal.
franchifowler
hunter

Postby MODAKR » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:32 pm

franchifowler wrote:
MODAKR wrote:1/4 teaspoon marjoram

MODARK is a fancy guy! :biggrin:

I've used a very similar receipt (also cooked on aluminum foil) with great results. I think 99% of the game receipts out there are great, people just overcook everything and ruin it. If your scared of cooking waterfowl and ruining it do some test batches. Cook 3-4 breasts and pull them off the grill at set intervals. Check each one out and find the one that is best and then cook to that time/temperature every time you cook a meal.

:thumbsup: i had to ask my wife what the hell marjoram was! i had no idea.
MODAKR
hunter

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:45 pm

:lol: ha ha, me neither! lol,. thanks everyone, ima find a good way for tthanksgiving, ima cook a few batches a few different ways, im bound to find somthing tasty right? lol. :grooving:
CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter

Postby cride1 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:06 pm

I cut mine in large bit size pieces. Marinate in KC Masterpiece Caribbean Jerk for several hours or overnight. Then grill. I have also wrapped in bacon then grilled, but to me the key is to not over cook it. Should have some red or pink left in it. We also cut to bite size pieces and roll in Andy's fish batter & fry. Again, don't over cook. I personally love eating duck.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
cride1
hunter

Postby sehunter1 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:07 pm

My family's thanksgiving favorite. Mallards are preferred for their cleaner taste and larger size. Teal and woodies will do. http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/ ... 010/05/rec
sehunter1
hunter

k, I NEED A RECIPE!

Postby talltimber » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:08 pm

My favorite is the classic stuffed, wrapped, grilled. Fresh woodies butterflied stuffed with cream cheese and jalapeƱos, wrapped in bacon. Along with some Boudain and wrapped lamb burgers. Taters in the tinfoil. Good eatin.
(Having a Tapatalk issue posting a pic I guess lol)Image
Better late than never!
talltimber
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting