Anybody ever catch one of these feathered fish??

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Anybody ever catch one of these feathered fish??

Postby Wooderson » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:45 am

Caught this guy down in Florida bass fishing, he was not a very happy camper i'll tell ya.
Wooderson
hunter

Postby woodie77 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:51 am

what is that a hawk...the bottom of the wing looks like a hawk but, i cant be to sure...
Ready to get wet and chase feathers
woodie77
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:10 am

i had a seagull fly into my line once when i was bass fishing....he wasnt a happy camper either. :eek: :laughing:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:11 pm

Yeah, I suppose a little care is needed what with talons and all. I have had ducks swim at my fly and various aquatic mammals get curious, but no hooks. I'm assuming it was a succesful release - how does one go about releasing such a fish?
-Erik :laughing:
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby Wooderson » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:20 pm

That would be the ellusive Osprey fish. :toofunny: haha we put a wet towell over its tallons and it grabbed onto the towel then we put the rest of the towel oover its head to calm it down then took our time cutting the line and making sure that ther was none left. After we took the towell off its head we just backed up and eventually once he calmed down he let go of the towell with his tallons sat on the boat long enough to snap a few more pictures then he took off.
Wooderson
hunter

Postby Wooderson » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:22 pm

Oh and it never actually got hooked I was fishing usiung a shinner and the thing picked it right out of the water with its feet and by the time i noticed he was flying away with it so i pulled on the line and the bird didnt let go he fell towards me and got all tangled in the line.
Wooderson
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:54 pm

man that's pretty funny i would of been scared that thing attacking me or something HAHA
Sweet u got pics of that
Did Ya Git Yur Buck EEERRRR Wha??
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby dukkilr6 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:40 am

Last spring I casted out and spooked two mallards. They got up and the hen hit my line and pulled my jig out of the water and hooked her in the wing. When the line got taunt it snapped and she dropped from about 10 feet onto the water. We tried to catch her for a while but couldn't get close enough and had to let her go. If she made it until the fall some hunter got a real suprise when he found my pink jig hanging out of his bird
dukkilr6
hunter

Postby poacher » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:58 pm

While salmon fishing on the Squamish River, just north of Vancouver, i had a harbor seal chase and steal a coho from my fly rod.
"teal, teal, albino teal....wait, those are seagulls...take em.

wait till they line up and cross, 1 shell 2 birds
poacher
hunter

Postby portahunter » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:41 pm

One of my buddies caught a loon while fishing last winter. It dove down and picked his live minnow up off the bottom and got hooked in the beak. Pretty fun gettin it unhooked but we managed to get it out without causing the bird too much harm. Buddy thought he had a fish on and set the hook hard and then the bird poped up with the hook and line hanging off it's beak. Hook went all the way through the beak so we just cut the barb off with some wire snips and pulled the hook out.
portahunter
hunter

Postby Quackattaq » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:45 pm

I have caught a pelican or two on top water lures....stupid things! they really swallow too! With two treb hooks burried in the throat there is nothing you can do but cut the line and hope for the best :thumbsdown:

-Jason
skyblastin is for wussies! Wait till you can look em in the eye!
Quackattaq
Membership permanently suspended

fish fooled by feathers feathers fooled by fish

Postby DecoyDad » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:18 pm

About ten years ago I was trolling on Lake Michigan with my Dad for spring Coho's. Our long flat line "the tailgunner" went off. I noticed a seagull off in the distance, every time I pumped the rod the bird flapped its wings. Sure enogh we were hooked up. We stopped the boat pulled all the rods and backed towards it. Finally we got close enough to net the bird.I flipped the bird upside down it remained calm. To my suprise I was ablle to use my leatherman to take out my lure a jointed Rapala as well as some one elses lure a Lindy Shadling. Here is a picture of the Lindy
DecoyDad
hunter

Postby kms399 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:38 pm

i was pitching frogs and one landed on a lilly pad just as i was about to start the retrieve a green heron landed on a lilly pad and picked it up. i was so stunned i just watched him. it wasn't a very far cast either. the bird just shook it's head a few times, dropped it and flew away.
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Re: Anybody ever catch one of these feathered fish??

Postby RebelFan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:16 pm

Lets see here, Ive caucht a Pellican in the ocean, gator in a lake, and big ol eagrit in the gulf corse pond near my house. :lol3: all sucsessful releases so it wasnt to bad
RebelFan
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:18 pm

Those little gators are so stupid. I cant remember how many times I had them chase topwaters back when I bass fished. :lol3: They actually dont put up much of a fight.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby WSUWESTON » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:10 pm

I have hooked a seagull once while fishing off a jetty. He was pissed and then broke off my leader and took my bait.
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:23 pm

Fishing for channel cat near a fishfeeder I had a bunch of Canada geese get tangled in my line. One of them was wearing my bobber round his neck like a rock star. Game warden saw the whole thing and said it happens fairly frequently.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:45 am

Just yesterday the girlfriend and I took a drive and ended up at the lock and dam watching the snaggers. Pelicans were everywhere and sure enough someone layed his line right over ones back. Him and his buddies decided to slowly reel it in and then they would simply unwrap the bird and he would fly off. A simple plan that I was definately wanting to see put into action! Unfortunately for me and fortunately for the hillbillies an old man down the line that had seen it before ran up and told them not to go near the bird and that he had called a CO. We didn't stick around to see what ended up happening, but I gotta tell ya I was really kinda wanting to see that bird flog the crap out of 4 hillbillies!
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby allnighter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:50 pm

Pelicans love top water plugs and so do seagulls. :no:
allnighter
hunter

Return to Fishing