What do you do?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

What do you do?

Postby Max4Holly » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:09 am

With a new puppy to give it the best possible chance of success later in life? Obviously make everything fun and just let it be a pup for awhile. As far as socializing, introductions to everything or ?. Just seeing what simple things/games you can do with a young pup.
Max4Holly
hunter

Re: What do you do?

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:14 am

Little out in right field but I give fish oil from day one!!!!! Several benefits as well has studies to suggest that it improves brain functin: DHA (from fish oil) has been shown to be key in neural development.Recent research shows that the essential fatty acid, DHA, as found in omega-3 fish oil, has training and learning enhancing properties for your pets!. The research shows "that puppies nourished with enhanced (high) levels of dietary docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) were smarter, more trainable than typical-DHA (low-DHA) nourished puppies.".
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby usmcduckn » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:44 am

in my past pup, i used a 30 ft lead and took him to local parks. he got to run around with enough freedom to be a pup but still be within grasp for dangerous situations. when i went to get food, grocery shopping, etc. i always took him with me (on a shorter 6 ft. lead). after the first day he wasn't scared of adults and kids runnning up to him to pet and love on him. in fact, out of initial fear when a kid ran up to him he'd automatically sit because he couldn't back up fast enough. that played into me training him to sit automatically when someone approaches him to see him.
usmcduckn
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:24 pm

Associating him with things. Basic obedience.

Get ahold of your vet and see if they offer any classes that introduce him to weird objects, umbrellas, rain coats, people of different races, men, women, kids, other dogs, other animals, different places, etc. etc.

The more stuff you get him introduced to, the better he'll be.
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby bknilvr00 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:59 pm

My wife and I both went through the puppy classes at petsmart with our dogs. It was a real benefit for me, since I had never owned a dog up until now, so I learned as much as the dog. The basic obedience is great, and there are like three levels of classes you can take. The biggest payoff of then though was the socialization. They got to run around with dogs their own age, and size (in the later classes). Also, crate training... My lab was literally no effort at all. He is pretty laid back about stuff. The Doberman, good lord. It sounded like somebody was in the kennel with her skinning her alive. She would grab the bars with her front teeth and shake the cage while making this terrible shriek/gurgle/growl noise. But it was totally worth it.

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:23 pm

Taking them everywhere is important. They learn to love the car early, trips, people, new adventures, etc.... Early socialization is critical to a well balanced and happy dog.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:27 pm

One thing I did with my current pup ever since she was on a leash and going places with me was sit beside me
and have quiet time. During walks and training as she got older, we went for a mile or so then sat and just did nothing.
After a good training session we would sit under some trees relax with out moving about or making any noise.
She would even fall asleep sometimes.
All this was done so when it came time for her to sit quietly in a duck blind or boat she was use to quiet time.
My last dog was a nut case in the blind it took constant conditioning to keep her in line and I didnt want that in this dog.
I think doing this has really helped she will sit in a blind and you don't even know shes around. Unless you pull out some snacks
or lunch then the labrador in her takes over....

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Max4Holly » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:38 pm

Thanks guys!
Willie- you'll see this oily little joker this spring/summer

Also, is it easier on down the road to introduce dog blinds, stands, gun noises (not shooting, but just the look and sounds of actions being closed) truck beds, dog boxes and stuff like that early so by the time you use it, it's nothing the dog hasn't seen before?
Max4Holly
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:52 pm

Max4Holly wrote:Thanks guys!
Willie- you'll see this oily little joker this spring/summer

Also, is it easier on down the road to introduce dog blinds, stands, gun noises (not shooting, but just the look and sounds of actions being closed) truck beds, dog boxes and stuff like that early so by the time you use it, it's nothing the dog hasn't seen before?

It cant hurt!
GarDuck
hunter

Postby Tera Lanczak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:41 pm

All very good suggestions! :clapping:

At Bay Blue Kennels we have found providing a Routine In Care is also beneficial.
http://www.forcefetch.com/blog/2013/10/teras-training-tip-of-the-day-45/
Tera Lanczak
Trainer/Owner
Bay Blue Kennels
http://www.baybluekennels.com/
http://www.forcefetch.com/blog/
660-441-1605
"Building Champions"
Tera Lanczak
DHC Sponsor

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:27 pm

like many have said before go everywhere lots of people all the fun stuff but don't forget a training session a couple of times a week with only a couple of retrieves a session and if you can get your hands on some pigeons I would do it early as well I personally don't think there was anything better for my pup than getting her on dead and live pigeons at a young age to like birds and to really helped pull every bit of prey drive out of her. also along those lines obedience is important but one thing you can not build is the desire to retrieve.
krazybronco2
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum