Decoys at refuges

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Decoys at refuges

Postby CAwoodyhunter » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:27 pm

What would a good decoy spread at a refuge be and is a spinning wing decoy a good idea
CAwoodyhunter
Newb

Re: Decoys at refuges

Postby darkwater27 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:07 pm

there are as many answers to that question as there are duck hunters in CA......

one spread might work in hole "A" on Saturday and not work on Sunday.....sometimes you go light so that you can move with ease some days you get into a blind and moving is not an option.

there is no one size fits all spread for duck hunting, but try to duplicate what you see the ducks do in the areas you hunt.......
darkwater27
hunter

Postby Limitsx10 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:31 pm

You might already know this but if not only wind driven spinning wings are allowed prior to December 1. Besides that , like Darkwater says, try to match natural and I'd add try to be different than everyone else, but still natural. Good luck and have fun.
Limitsx10
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:59 pm

I pack lite. Six spoonies and a bull sprig. I'm not a fan of electric powered spinners. Not because I don't think they work well, but because I like to know that I tricked 'em the old fashioned way.
clampdaddy
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting