Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby BBK » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:24 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:so the local dnr is the place to call right?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

Somewhere in your regulations book will be the contact information for your conservation officers. Call them directly, they are there to help.
BBK
hunter

Postby assateague » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:05 pm

Tinner4 wrote:Hubby called the gw when a group shot 3 separate times before shooting time. I prefer that to a confrontation on the marsh.

I prefer someone not giving a damn what time someone else shoots.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby boney fingers » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:33 pm

assateague wrote:
Tinner4 wrote:Hubby called the gw when a group shot 3 separate times before shooting time. I prefer that to a confrontation on the marsh.

March is always fun.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:26 pm

You know what I hate more than sky busters? People who call it sky blasting.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:26 pm

Gibronis.
B Squad Captain
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:50 pm

assateague wrote:

Time doesnt bother me as long as its within 5 or 6 minutes. If someone shoots 15-20 min. before thats BS. Im talking about calling on people who ( based on experience ) shoot where i can feel bbs sting as they hit me and my friends in the back. Or the people who flock shoot little song birds for fun when theres nothing else flying. Them bbs hurt man, just ask a duck, he'll tell you.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby assateague » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Botiz630 wrote:Gibronis.

Bubba!
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague

Postby AKWoody » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Shell limits??!!?? That spure craxy talk. AT is spot on with his assesment! If the gubment is going to limit my shells, then I'm going back to lead!!!!
AKWoody
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:30 pm

assateague wrote:

Bubba!

I think I'm missing the reference. :huh:
B Squad Captain
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Grouse » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:50 pm

I guess I have been wrong for 30 sum years. I have always in any form of hunting had spot 1 2 3 in my mind. Never shown up late. Even grouse hunting if I see another vehical on public land I turn around and go to spot 2. If spot 3 is full I just go scouting.
New coarse 1) show up late / with hangover, 2) Shoot at anything then yell at someone and the dog , 3) Set up 50 yards from some one thats been there 2 hour prior. :huh: :huh: :help: :mad: :mad: :no: :help:
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.
Grouse
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:23 pm

I always thought it was spelled Jabroni.

Gibronis are people who live on the strait of Gibraltor, between Spain and North Africa.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby assateague » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:23 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
assateague wrote:

Bubba!

Bubba the Love Sponge. Used to toss around "Gibroni" as an insult all the time.
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby assateague » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:29 pm

WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:30 pm

Bill Herian wrote:

Gibronis are people who live on the strait of Gibraltor, between Spain and North Africa.

Titz just hates all mediterranean cultures that aren't Italian.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:42 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
Bill Herian wrote:

Bibbity bobbity! Meetzabawl!
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Bill Herian wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
Bill Herian wrote:

It's a me a, Mario.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Sure it ain't Luigi?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:21 am

assateague wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:
assateague wrote:

Bubba!

Bubba the Love Sponge. Used to toss around "Gibroni" as an insult all the time.

Ah, gotcha. Not familiar with Bubba, I'll have to look it up.
B Squad Captain
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:25 am

Bill Herian wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
Bill Herian wrote:

B Squad Captain
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:36 am

A few minutes one way or the other really isn't an issue. Not everybodys clocks are set for the exact time. But oftentime 20 minutes early means you have no clue what you are shooting at other than a shadow in the sky. These are the guys that are going to lose a higher percentage of birds and likely shoot over their limit of hens, and leave them laying in a pile.... THAT is what bothers and affects us .............
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:06 am

I am not calling someone in for a couple minutes, but its complete bull$hit when it happens, all shooting early does is screw over everyone else. Also when I get checked, I always snag a card from one of the agents and keep it on me. One of the guys in my area I speak with on a regular basis, and would not hesitate in the least to call him for things. All it does is help clean up the sport.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:15 am

So how do new guys get started in the right direction. I have been hunting for a couple years and started hunting with some buddies that had been doing it for a few years before that so I know the ethics of what y'all are talking about. Took my brother hunting last year when he was down and he fell in love with duck hunting. Problem is he lives in Wisconsin 8 hours away from me or anyone else he knows that duck hunts. He has a few private spots but mostly is hunting public ground. He knows the ethics but has yet to kill a duck this year. He spends considerable more time scouting than hunting and sees ducks almost everytime out but just can't seam to figure it out and be at the right spot. Now if he posts up on a place like this asking for help within the first few posts I can guarantee you will get a cyberscouter reply and people will be digging him about trying to get someone's spot when he really just needs someone to show him the ropes. I'm headed up there next weekend to see if I can help him out any but in two days doubt I will be able to tell him much about anything going on in the area. But we will hopefully get some enjoyable hunts in and some quality time in the field.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:27 am

Bigpuddin43 wrote:So how do new guys get started in the right direction. I have been hunting for a couple years and started hunting with some buddies that had been doing it for a few years before that so I know the ethics of what y'all are talking about. Took my brother hunting last year when he was down and he fell in love with duck hunting. Problem is he lives in Wisconsin 8 hours away from me or anyone else he knows that duck hunts. He has a few private spots but mostly is hunting public ground. He knows the ethics but has yet to kill a duck this year. He spends considerable more time scouting than hunting and sees ducks almost everytime out but just can't seam to figure it out and be at the right spot. Now if he posts up on a place like this asking for help within the first few posts I can guarantee you will get a cyberscouter reply and people will be digging him about trying to get someone's spot when he really just needs someone to show him the ropes. I'm headed up there next weekend to see if I can help him out any but in two days doubt I will be able to tell him much about anything going on in the area. But we will hopefully get some enjoyable hunts in and some quality time in the field.

Best way to find the birds is go on ducks unlimiteds website and read the reports for his area, that way he knows whats coming down, and what there already. the website also offers pics and videos on how and were to set up, what calls to use when, its really helped me get the technical aspects down when it comes to hunting.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:37 am

I've never understood the condemnation of sky busters but the constant need for tighter and tighter chokes.

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby imboray » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:02 pm

I have the luxury of not having to hunt WMA's, even though I only live 7 miles north of one of the biggest public hunting areas in IL, we hunt on a city lake with a permanent blind that we sign up every year, so I really don't have to deal with the issue, though I have in the past. I don't begrudge any young guy whose out there, regardless of how they hunt, it is public hunting. As much as we'd like to think different, we don't have our spot in a public area. Unfortunately I think one should expect that sort of thing when hunting public land. So many times its young hunters just getting involved that don't have what it takes to finish ducks. It is the old difference between "hunting to kill" vs. "killing to hunt." Most youths do the latter, hopefully as they age their philosophy changes. The thing I can't get my head around is how its any fun to skybust and take those ridiculous shots. For me all the fun is passing up a 30 yd shot because you know you have them on a string & can put them in your dekes at 20 yds. I don't think I would duck hunt if I had to shoot passing shots at 40 yds, or further, to kill ducks, I just don't see any enjoyment in it. We have a blind across the lake from us that shoots shots all the time that we would never take. They knock some down at long distances & retireive them, but I just shake my head because, again, I don't see the joy or skill involved.
imboray
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole