Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:11 pm

Fatback wrote:It's not sky busting if your shooting lead through a turkey choke is it? I found a bunch of lead hulls where a group was hunting close to us.... We kept seeing them taking these crazy shots, kept wondering why....

Sent from the smoker

I don't shoot lead, but tungsten through a turkey choke is awesome on geese and cranes at 60 yards. :yes: though I could shoot lead at cranes in texas becasue it is legal......does not make any sense to me though that I can't shoot geese out of the same field with lead. The lead poisoning comes from ingesting the pellets-not from the pellets being lodged into the flesh of the bird. :fingerhead:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:13 pm

toolmaker wrote:
Anoldhuntersc wrote:
Underradar wrote:You guys who don't skybust need to admit you don't skybust because you lack the skill to make the far shots. So you are forced to try the close shots only. You are limited in what you can do, and, inferior.

They don't even know. Share a blind with a professional trap shooter one day and get your feelings hurt. They will take their limit on shots that the rest of the blind wouldn't even think of pulling up on!!

well the trap guys can usually shoot, but crossers at 30 mph, at 40-50 yards are not the trap guys fodder!!!!!!!!!!! they have premounted guns and shoot at mostly going away targets...sometimes they barely swing their gun at all... a competition sporting clay shooter is another story.... they get 60 yards targets all the time

the tool

^^^^^^this is why we shoot sporting clays during the off-season, not skeet or trap. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:20 pm

there are days where we work flock after flock after flock into the deeks and take nothing but 20-25 yard shots. There are other days where if you don't pass shoot some of your birds, you won't get much shooting in-and that's especially true with redheads, canvasbacks, mottled ducks and teal. Me-I LOVE eating ducks, as most here know. My purpose is to limit out every trip to the blind and take a limit to the camp every day I can. Sure, everything else about the trip is fun, but make no mistake about it, I go to kill ducks! :thumbsup: my personal limit is a 50 yard overhead shot. I'll take that all day long if I have to.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:22 pm

...but I will unload on a cripple still flying to try and kill it before it hits the water. lucky pellets are better than 10 waterswat shots to try and kill a duck layed out on the water getting out of dodge! :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:59 pm

Bill Herian wrote:
Anoldhuntersc wrote:
Underradar wrote:You guys who don't skybust need to admit you don't skybust because you lack the skill to make the far shots. So you are forced to try the close shots only. You are limited in what you can do, and, inferior.

They don't even know. Share a blind with a professional trap shooter one day and get your feelings hurt. They will take their limit on shots that the rest of the blind wouldn't even think of pulling up on!!

I've watched a guy who misses 4-7 birds in a 16 week trap season shoot 19 times to kill 3 farm pheasants.

Oh yeah. Shooting is to me about my comfort zone. Same with anyone. Just saying they use to longer shots than most. Equipment plays a part also. Have shared a pit with a trap guy that kept me shaking my head on the distance he could shoot. But put him in our swamps where shots are as quick as swatting a fly out the corner of your eye and different ball game.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:02 pm

Anoldhuntersc wrote:
Bill Herian wrote:
Anoldhuntersc wrote:

I've watched a guy who misses 4-7 birds in a 16 week trap season shoot 19 times to kill 3 farm pheasants.

Oh yeah. Shooting is to me about my comfort zone. Same with anyone. Just saying they use to longer shots than most. Equipment plays a part also. Have shared a pit with a trap guy that kept me shaking my head on the distance he could shoot. But put him in our swamps where shots are as quick as swatting a fly out the corner of your eye and different ball game.

snap shooting wood ducks in the swamp at close range is an art.....I'll grant you that. Been a while since I've done it though. Back when the limit was two woodies, there were many a hunt with 2 shells-two woodies; both drakes. I use to try and slip in, shoot a flock, and slip out without disturbing the birds feeding on acorns in the oak flat. It really helped keep the shooting consistent.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:55 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
Anoldhuntersc wrote:
Bill Herian wrote:
Anoldhuntersc wrote:

snap shooting wood ducks in the swamp at close range is an art.....I'll grant you that. Been a while since I've done it though. Back when the limit was two woodies, there were many a hunt with 2 shells-two woodies; both drakes. I use to try and slip in, shoot a flock, and slip out without disturbing the birds feeding on acorns in the oak flat. It really helped keep the shooting consistent.

Quick shooting woodies in flooded timber is actually my favorite as far a shooting.
When we first started (first 2-3 years) it is all we did.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:14 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
Anoldhuntersc wrote:
Bill Herian wrote:
Anoldhuntersc wrote:

Fun and quick hunting it is. They are one of the best tasting/looking bird there is.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:03 pm

sampsonhuntin wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Anoldhuntersc wrote:
Bill Herian wrote:
Anoldhuntersc wrote:

Fun and quick hunting it is. They are one of the best tasting/looking bird there is.

I use to hunt there while going to college....in and done by 7:30am....I'd get home, gut the birds, put a wal-mart bag in the cavity and fill it with ice, then put them on a tray in the frig until I got home. I'd hunt it tuesdays, thursdays and on saturdays if we did not go to the cousins camp in the marsh, because those were the days the deer hunters ran deer dogs in the swamp at the surrounding clubs and they would stir up the ducks pretty good. We killed a banded woody drake that was banded in illinois on the might miss. river one year. He landed in the deeks and I gave the shot to the guy next to me so he could have his young dog retrieve it. We'd shoot 80~120 woodies in there a season consistently.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:05 pm

use to shoot squirrels on the way out too if class was later....sometimes we'd do pretty good on those. :thumbsup:
Now I'm missing a good duck and squirrel gumbo!!!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby sampsonhuntin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:14 pm

That's awesome, if you can manage a secluded wood duck hole you can kill a limit there 2 times a week all duck season. My buddy in HS had 2 different timber holes on his land only a mile from school we would hunt Tues and Thurs and be done by 7:15 and ready for our 7:45 classes. Lots of fun.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:20 pm

sampsonhuntin wrote:That's awesome, if you can manage a secluded wood duck hole you can kill a limit there 2 times a week all duck season. My buddy in HS had 2 different timber holes on his land only a mile from school we would hunt Tues and Thurs and be done by 7:15 and ready for our 7:45 classes. Lots of fun.

old pic....

that's 3 gadwalls hanging on the pole. big flock came in and I let them land and mill about for 5 minutes or so...then jumped them and got a triple. I milked that flock all season long. :thumbsup: we'd kill 15~20 off ducks, but most of it was woodies.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby sampsonhuntin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:38 pm

One of the places from HS. Hunted it hard for 3 years and all I ever saw were wood ducks.
It was just a hole in the woods only 20 yards wide and 30 yards long. The roost was on the other side of those trees and they would come right in your face. 5 minutes and you were walking out. Good times.

Prison Is My Futre

sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:46 pm

sampsonhuntin wrote:One of the places from HS. Hunted it hard for 3 years and all I ever saw were wood ducks.
It was just a hole in the woods only 20 yards wide and 30 yards long. The roost was on the other side of those trees and they would come right in your face. 5 minutes and you were walking out. Good times.

this was a pipeline with a 30X40 yard hole on one side of it. There was an acorn flat that would flood with a good rain and the beavers had dams across the drainage ditch so it took a while to drain the swamp. the Woodies knew the acorns were there, would fly into the hole and land or up the pipeline to a spot that was a shorter swim to the flat and where the acorn concentration on the water was high from the south winds. It was like a switch when they arrived....all at once....

some of them roosted on the swamp, but most flew in from other places.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby sampsonhuntin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:54 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
sampsonhuntin wrote:One of the places from HS. Hunted it hard for 3 years and all I ever saw were wood ducks.

this was a pipeline with a 30X40 yard hole on one side of it. There was an acorn flat that would flood with a good rain and the beavers had dams across the drainage ditch so it took a while to drain the swamp. the Woodies knew the acorns were there, would fly into the hole and land or up the pipeline to a spot that was a shorter swim to the flat and where the acorn concentration on the water was high from the south winds. It was like a switch when they arrived....all at once....

some of them roosted on the swamp, but most flew in from other places.

Woodies love acorns almost as much as breeding, if there is an oak tree in a swamp I'm hunting I always try and have it 20-30 yards directly in front of me. Sometimes it doesn't seem fair. But our hunts depend on weather and the hunting pressure on surrounding properties not being too high.

Prison Is My Futre

sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby Grouse » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:48 pm

So today I hunted a spot I have not hit in 6 plus years. Wasn't great during the day but you could haul a lot of demes out easily (45 plus). I was there hour half early, Set up one hour prior (law). Incident did not happen till 9 am. It was rain snow sleet wind was out of sw to start. Then nw after fog..looking good.Now enter two fat guys small jon boat to big beavertail. I hear " ducks! ne of us move in closer". I move out of hide and stand in demes and watch this overpowered undersized jon work the waves. After waving them off my demes 35 bb w lift see the boat and put the rockets on.
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.
Grouse
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:51 pm

:huh:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:54 pm

OGblackcloud wrote::huh:

You mean you don't speak gibberish OG?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Jcochran88 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:55 pm

X2
Jcochran88
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:59 pm

beretta24 wrote:

You mean you don't speak gibberish OG?

I tried to figure it out but he lost me :lol3:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:00 pm

Cracking up at "demes."
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby :-) » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:17 pm

X3...WTH???
:-)
hunter

Postby TXducksanddeer » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:23 pm

My dad and grampa both have never shot a wood duck before. I shot my first woody yesterday. Were gonna mount him.
TXducksanddeer
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:06 pm

TXducksanddeer wrote:My dad and grampa both have never shot a wood duck before. I shot my first woody yesterday. Were gonna mount him.

Good deal!! They are beautiful birds.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:11 pm

:-) wrote:

X3...WTH???

X4...Yanky translation please....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole