Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby Stish85 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:39 am

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:47 am

kbooger wrote:
:-) wrote:The new norm is to blame everyone else because you can't kill a duck.

I get a kick out of hunters that blame everyone but themselves for a bad hunt...you show me a someone that can tell how far I'm shooting from 300-400 yards away, and I'll stop hunting.

Ruining it for everyone on the lake, not just my hunt. And I can tell pretty well from 300-400 yards away when geese are sky high.

You can stop hunting now :)

lol.. lots of folks say that.. almost no one is correct..

had a group last year that swore we were shooting ducks at 80 yards.. i wont call a shot outside 40.. the day in question, most of our shooting was at about 30.. and these were all "experienced" hunters.
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:50 am

How long has the term "sky buster" been around?
boney fingers
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:10 pm

Going back to the Arkansas 15 shell limit. This is on Green tree WMA's, where generally 25yds Will be the furthest shot..EVER. In addition to 15 shells No shot larger than #2. I have never ran out of shells..EVER. Yes I have came close.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:26 pm

greenster wrote:Going back to the Arkansas 15 shell limit. This is on Green tree WMA's, where generally 25yds Will be the furthest shot..EVER. In addition to 15 shells No shot larger than #2. I have never ran out of shells..EVER. Yes I have came close.

The 15-shell limit place I go to has a 3 mallard limit with a 4-duck limit period. Not all the WMA's have these special site rules but generally in timber you get great shots or no shots... 15 is plenty 99% of the time.

sent from my fancy phone that has a really cool kickstand via tapaskwawk
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:37 pm

wanapasaki wrote:
t_baker wrote:I took a guy hunting 3 years ago. To this day he thinks he is a master duck hunter. His call sounds like a kazoo. He cant shoot. Cant set decoys, all around idiot. His ethics caused me to not take him hunting again. He asked me if he could use my blind couple weeks ago and i told him no. I didn't want people thinking it was me in the blind shooting grebes and calling like a moron.

Moral of the story, peoples ethics are gone and most people are idiots.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Obviously he learned from you, like you stated nimrod

I took him once. We shot 4 times and killed 3 wood ducks. In a hole with basically only wood ducks. I dont even remember blowing a call.

Try again San Fran. Don't you and your boy friend have a date planned today?

Nimrod.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
t_baker
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Im getting my skybusting under control, done it twice this season. Iv'e even marked out 40 yards when i was patterning my gun and HOLY God, is that a shot for me. we worked 2 mallards across a lake once, I could swear that they were within 40, and still refused to take the shot cause it looked so far. I might as well be shooting a 20 ga. for the type of shots im comfortable taking.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:39 pm

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby bighop » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:09 pm

greenster wrote:Going back to the Arkansas 15 shell limit. This is on Green tree WMA's, where generally 25yds Will be the furthest shot..EVER. In addition to 15 shells No shot larger than #2. I have never ran out of shells..EVER. Yes I have came close.

I think I'd be a waterswatter only with a 15 shell limit.
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby TXducksanddeer » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:23 pm

Why don't you guys lend a hand out instead of complaining on the internet. Half these guys have no idea what the heck there doing. If they don't want your help and say it in a smarty manner, feel free to go crazy a$$hole on them.
TXducksanddeer
hunter

Postby Broken Paddle » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:01 pm

boney fingers wrote:How long has the term "sky buster" been around?

Most likely from the beginning of time. The ones that "sky busted" did not survive!
Broken Paddle
hunter

Location: Fomerly in Riverton, CT Now wandering spaceship Earth

Postby Stish85 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:14 pm

TXducksanddeer wrote:Why don't you guys lend a hand out instead of complaining on the internet. Half these guys have no idea what the heck there doing. If they don't want your help and say it in a smarty manner, feel free to go crazy a$$hole on them.

When ducks clearly turn to work another spread or atleast leave the current spread and all the sudden get shot at its a pretty fair bet how you will be greeted.

I once arrived 1.5 hours before legal shooting hours. I set my decoys up 1 hour prior. At 20 minutes prior I had sine guys walk out and set up 70 yards from me. Needless to say I was pissed. Around 930 the group approached my group abd proceeded to yell at us for taking their spot and demand we give them the ducks we shot because they were "their"ducks. This is the type of hunter we are dealing with on a frequent basis.

Stish85
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:02 pm

Had a guy set up 100 yards in front of me today. As soon as he came into the field, with us set up already. He came and complained to us before he went and set up. Without a layout or anything.

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby Frylock » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:38 pm

Stish85 wrote:
TXducksanddeer wrote:Why don't you guys lend a hand out instead of complaining on the internet. Half these guys have no idea what the heck there doing. If they don't want your help and say it in a smarty manner, feel free to go crazy a$$hole on them.

When ducks clearly turn to work another spread or atleast leave the current spread and all the sudden get shot at its a pretty fair bet how you will be greeted.

I once arrived 1.5 hours before legal shooting hours. I set my decoys up 1 hour prior. At 20 minutes prior I had sine guys walk out and set up 70 yards from me. Needless to say I was pissed. Around 930 the group approached my group abd proceeded to yell at us for taking their spot and demand we give them the ducks we shot because they were "their"ducks. This is the type of hunter we are dealing with on a frequent basis.

Wow! Those guys had some balls trying to demand your birds!
On the occasions I've had guys set up too close I'll try and talk respectfully with them, I find most folks are very accommodating and it seems are willing to work together so everyone has a good hunt. But not always....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Frylock
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:54 pm

One guys skybusting, is another guys pass shooting.

My buddy told a guy last year that setup 50 yards beside him that he has a short memory, and might forget he is over there if a duck comes by. Also said, his face paint was a bad idea because the company recalled the new tubes due to the fact that people were complaining about painful hives and rashes. :lol3:
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby :-) » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:14 pm

Stish85 wrote:

I get a kick out of hunters that blame everyone but themselves for a bad hunt...you show me a someone that can tell how far I'm shooting from 300-400 yards away, and I'll stop hunting.

I can see by your answer you are the new norm we are talking about, since you are the only response out of over 30 that blames it on others not being able to kill ducks. I kill 50+ ducks a year even with sky blasting, game leaving idiots that setup less than 100 yards from my spread

Idiots shooting at everything that attempts comes near someone else's is the problem.

It's not that hard to tell when birds are sky high. Might not be able to tell horizontal distance, but vertical distance is pretty easy. And odds if you are 300 to 400 yards away, you are not the guy I'm worried about. Sky blast away those birds will be liking for a safe place to land by time they get to me.

Dang! You figured me out I guess. I'm the bad guy that haunts you in your dreams at night, and keeps ducks out of your decoys!

Like I said before it's your own fault...don't hunt where the idiots are. If you know where the idiots are hunting why would you want to be there? What does that make you? I assure you there's a sweet little hole somewhere near where you hunt that the idiots haven't found...you just have to be smarter, and work harder.

Also, don't brag about how many ducks you kill a year...you will show your lack of experience, and end up getting your feelings hurt. Not that that's a bad number...it just means you have limited time to hunt, and that equals lack of experience. I've hunted 6 of the 9 days season has been opened, and that's rare...usually I'd be 9 for 9.
:-)
hunter

Postby rank duck » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:24 pm

I fart a lot in the field, so if anyone sets up within 50 yds of me they don't stay very long.
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:33 pm

when i was a kid I had a crossman pump air rifle and I remember all the BB's were golden!!!

none that i ever had ever killed a duck at 80 yards!!

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Stish85 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:45 pm

:-) wrote:
Stish85 wrote:

I can see by your answer you are the new norm we are talking about, since you are the only response out of over 30 that blames it on others not being able to kill ducks. I kill 50+ ducks a year even with sky blasting, game leaving idiots that setup less than 100 yards from my spread

Idiots shooting at everything that attempts comes near someone else's is the problem.

It's not that hard to tell when birds are sky high. Might not be able to tell horizontal distance, but vertical distance is pretty easy. And odds if you are 300 to 400 yards away, you are not the guy I'm worried about. Sky blast away those birds will be liking for a safe place to land by time they get to me.

Dang! You figured me out I guess. I'm the bad guy that haunts you in your dreams at night, and keeps ducks out of your decoys!

Like I said before it's your own fault...don't hunt where the idiots are. If you know where the idiots are hunting why would you want to be there? What does that make you? I assure you there's a sweet little hole somewhere near where you hunt that the idiots haven't found...you just have to be smarter, and work harder.

Also, don't brag about how many ducks you kill a year...you will show your lack of experience, and end up getting your feelings hurt. Not that that's a bad number...it just means you have limited time to hunt, and that equals lack of experience. I've hunted 6 of the 9 days season has been opened, and that's rare...usually I'd be 9 for 9.

For one I wasn't bragging, merely stating I have no problem killing ducks. Second, the number of days one hunts has no bearing on their knowledge. I guarantee you there are guys that hunt twice as much as I(or any one else that has limited time hunting) do and know half as much. It's all a matter of how you use your time and how observant you are that makes you more "experienced". For you to assume that you know more and are a better duck hunter than someone else just because you hunt more is foolish. That would be like saying you are better than someone at football because you have been playing longer, when in fact they are just more talented.

Kinda hard to find a little hole on lake Michigan. And why would I let the idiots force me out? I've been hunting the area for 15 years and know it inside and out. It doesn't matter where you go, unless you can afford thousands to hunt a club out private land all out takes is one day of good shooting and the next time you go out it it's crawling with guys.
Stish85
hunter

Postby :-) » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:20 pm

Stish85 wrote:
Stish85 wrote:

For one I wasn't bragging, merely stating I have no problem killing ducks. Second, the number of days one hunts has no bearing on their knowledge. I guarantee you there are guys that hunt twice as much as I(or any one else that has limited time hunting) do and know half as much. It's all a matter of how you use your time and how observant you are that makes you more "experienced". For you to assume that you know more and are a better duck hunter than someone else just because you hunt more is foolish. That would be like saying you are better than someone at football because you have been playing longer, when in fact they are just more talented.

You have a valid point...I guess. It would be good to know where experience can be learned other than in the field. You could become more popular than Uncle Si if you published that information.

Anyone can get lucky a few times a year, but to walk away with limits on a regular basis takes experience. Do I think I'm a better hunter than you? I'm not going to be a jerk, and say yes. What I will say is I put in a lot if time, and it works out really good for me and the people that hunt with me.

Also, are you telling me that a football player that has talent, but only plays 1/3 of the season has a chance to get drafted into the NFL?
:-)
hunter

Postby Stish85 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:35 pm

Stish85 wrote:
Stish85 wrote:

You have a valid point...I guess. It would be good to know where experience can be learned other than in the field. You could become more popular than Uncle Si if you published that information.

Anyone can get lucky a few times a year, but to walk away with limits on a regular basis takes experience. Do I think I'm a better hunter than you? I'm not going to be a jerk, and say yes. What I will say is I put in a lot if time, and it works out really good for me and the people that hunt with me.

Also, are you telling me that a football player that has talent, but only plays 1/3 of the season has a chance to get drafted into the NFL?

In short yes a player that has played 1/3 of the year has been drafted into the NFL, if you want names Im sure I can look some up for you. There are plenty of players that have been drafted after being hurt half of their senior year. Don't most starters get there jobs back after going on IR for a year? Although some times someone younger and more talented comes along and takes the job, just look at Tom Brady. He went in the game for a injured Drew Bledsoe and has started ever since, not because he was more experienced though.

I agree that knowledge is gained by being in the field. But, just because someone is in the field everyday does not in anyway mean that they are learning anything. Some people are just not observant and do not pay attention to the little inticacies that can be learned by watching a flock work a spread or just watching them in general. Also hunting is not the only time one can learn about waterfowl and there behaviors. Just because a guy gets out 50 days a seaon does not mean that he has spent as much time in the field. Limits of ducks also does not measure this, some hunters choose to not shoot a limit every time they go out. I too put a lot of time in the field now I may not put as much time in hunting as the next guy. However, I don't know too many people that go out in the off season just to watch ducks and geese. Anywhere from parks and golf courses to marshes and wildlife refuges, there is always something to be learned by watching. One does not need to have a call in hand or decoys on the water to be a better hunter come season.
Stish85
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:09 pm

Stish85 wrote:
Stish85 wrote:
Stish85 wrote:

In short yes a player that has played 1/3 of the year has been drafted into the NFL, if you want names Im sure I can look some up for you. There are plenty of players that have been drafted after being hurt half of their senior year. Don't most starters get there jobs back after going on IR for a year? Although some times someone younger and more talented comes along and takes the job, just look at Tom Brady. He went in the game for a injured Drew Bledsoe and has started ever since, not because he was more experienced though.

I agree that knowledge is gained by being in the field. But, just because someone is in the field everyday does not in anyway mean that they are learning anything. Some people are just not observant and do not pay attention to the little inticacies that can be learned by watching a flock work a spread or just watching them in general. Also hunting is not the only time one can learn about waterfowl and there behaviors. Just because a guy gets out 50 days a seaon does not mean that he has spent as much time in the field. Limits of ducks also does not measure this, some hunters choose to not shoot a limit every time they go out. I too put a lot of time in the field now I may not put as much time in hunting as the next guy. However, I don't know too many people that go out in the off season just to watch ducks and geese. Anywhere from parks and golf courses to marshes and wildlife refuges, there is always something to be learned by watching. One does not need to have a call in hand or decoys on the water to be a better hunter come season.

I can vouch for that! I've taken my call out during the early spring when everything's breeding. I love watching ducks and geese on the off season, good pastime after the homework is done.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Stish85 wrote:
Stish85 wrote:

Time. So long as it is time well spent.
Whether teaching in the classroom, or hunting in field or water, I've seen those who waste time. They make the same mistakes repeatedly. What they do is simply go through the motions, believing that that will bring them results; but results evade them.

:-) apparently you are one who does not simply go through the motions. You are not the kid who wastes time writing on and on, wasting time, going through the motions, not learning a thing; and wondering why his grades are low. Or the the guy who leaves the goose field early in a teal coloured rain jacket, never carrying a goose or duck. Another one going through the motions (probably too many motions) standing out like a sore thumb, driving away and flairing geese who would otherwise come in. Why was he there? Just to escape his wife; just to be "out there?" No matter his motivation - he was not seriously hunting.

We spend the time, learn the ropes mostly by watching and listening - watching bird behaviour, listening to their "talk," and taking from that what we need for the field and water. We also keep our camouflage dirty, to better hide from the birds. We do not wear teal coloured jackets.

Learning. Always, ever learning. Such is life. Rejoice. And pray that your brain stays healthy. :hammer:
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby kbooger » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:41 pm

possumfoot wrote:
kbooger wrote:

Ruining it for everyone on the lake, not just my hunt. And I can tell pretty well from 300-400 yards away when geese are sky high.

You can stop hunting now :)

lol.. lots of folks say that.. almost no one is correct..

had a group last year that swore we were shooting ducks at 80 yards.. i wont call a shot outside 40.. the day in question, most of our shooting was at about 30.. and these were all "experienced" hunters.

If these groups had been dropping birds I would have blamed my vision. When I hear a volley of 9 shots and see the one duck they shot at leave unscathed and outside the edge of the groups decoys by about 20 yards, yeah it is safe to assume they "skybusted". Hey I've done it myself, I just try not to do it consistently.
kbooger
hunter

Postby rank duck » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:49 pm

toolmaker wrote:when i was a kid I had a crossman pump air rifle and I remember all the BB's were golden!!!

none that i ever had ever killed a duck at 80 yards!!

the tool

you probably suffered from soap poisoning...
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole