Would you buy -- Winchester Extended Range Hi Density.

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Would you buy -- Winchester Extended Range Hi Density.

Postby mjk » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:23 pm

http://www.brownells.com/ammunition/sho ... 54983.aspx

Here is the question - this load is no longer made (to my knowledge). Current pricing is listed.

If you were able to find this load:

a. what would you personally pay per 10 pack ?

b. Would you shy away from the 2.75" 1.5oz #5 or #6 as a late season duck/goose load?

I'll explain what I am driving at when I hear responses.

Thank you.
mjk
hunter

Re: Would you buy -- Winchester Extended Range Hi Density.

Postby BBK » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:42 pm

mjk wrote:http://www.brownells.com/ammunition/shotgun-ammo/winchester-xtended-range-hd-shotgun-ammunition-prod54983.aspx

Here is the question - this load is no longer made (to my knowledge). Current pricing is listed.

b. Would you shy away from the 2.75" 1.5oz #5 or #6 as a late season duck/goose load?

Thank you.

A. I probably would't pay much for it because I simply cant afford that expensive stuff. But I'd say $30 a box would be reasonable. Hevi is more than that.

B. The 1.5 5's would be a great goose load, 6's a great duck/goose load or long range duck load. I don't know the comparisons off hand, but I would imagine the 6's would be close to #1 steel and the 5's around #BB steel. I'm shying on the conservative side, its probably more than that.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby mjk » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:32 pm

I just acquired 100 rounds from a small retailer out in the country. Told him I'd buy his entire stock, if it rang up appropriately...

13.99/box. I couldn't hand him my CC fast enough.

May sell a few boxes down the road. Mix of 5s and 6s.

Funny thing was that their pricing labels were @ $29.99/box. UPC gave a different story, though.
mjk
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:57 am

Different strokes.... Looks like you made a deal that you are more than happy with. I am glad for ya. I have shot the Hi Def stuff before. However, the 2 3/4 regular steel will do everything I need. I dont push my range past 50 yards, the reg steel is more than adequate as a lethal load. I am much happier paying $100 for a case of 250 reg steel than $140 for 100 Hi-D.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby mjk » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:40 am

The back of the box indicates 10% heavier than lead, for what that is worth. I was at a Cabelas a few weeks ago, and they actually had a small quantity of the Wingmaster HD left. At clearance, it was still 3.00/round.

I guess the reason for my post (certainly not to brag), was to find out what 'fair market' rates would be for that load if I chose to sell a few boxes.

BBK wrote:
mjk wrote:http://www.brownells.com/ammunition/shotgun-ammo/winchester-xtended-range-hd-shotgun-ammunition-prod54983.aspx

Thank you.

A. I probably would't pay much for it because I simply cant afford that expensive stuff. But I'd say $30 a box would be reasonable. Hevi is more than that.

B. The 1.5 5's would be a great goose load, 6's a great duck/goose load or long range duck load. I don't know the comparisons off hand, but I would imagine the 6's would be close to #1 steel and the 5's around #BB steel. I'm shying on the conservative side, its probably more than that.
mjk
hunter

Postby derbyacresbob » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:57 am

If you want some good long range goose loads or coyote loads check out this link for Win Xtended Range shells.
http://www.lg-outdoors.com/products.asp?cat=12560

These Win Xtended Range 3" loads are 1-3/8 oz of shot but they are $2.00 less per shell than most of the Hevi-Shot 3" 1-1/2 oz loads are going for.

This is what Win Xtended Range B shot looks like.
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Postby d_money » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:20 pm

I went to a hole in the wall place a few weeks ago and got there last 3 boxes for 12.99 each.
d_money
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:42 pm

10gaOkie wrote: Looks like you made a deal that you are more than happy with. I am glad for ya. I have shot the Hi Def stuff before. However, the 2 3/4 regular steel will do everything I need. I dont push my range past 50 yards, the reg steel is more than adequate as a lethal load. I am much happier paying $100 for a case of 250 reg steel than $140 for 100 Hi-D.

I could have written that post myself.
I still have three boxes of Remington Wingmaster HD. I shot two boxes of it several seasons ago and was not impressed. I had a higher kill/shell ratio with standard Remington Nitro Steel.

As to the original question; I'd think someone who wanted the HD stuff would be willing to pay $3/shell for it...seeing as how the load is no longer marketed.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:20 pm

August 2011 I walked into our local BPS and noticed some boxes of the Winchester ER in 2 3/4" hull, 1 1/2 oz. of #6's.

They had originally been $32.95/box (10) and marked down to $19.95/box and then, there they were on an end cap at $9.95/box.

I left with all 31 boxes.

In a 36" circle, these print 300X+ with both the (original) PM tube and Terror tube in .681 constriction.

They are absolutely deadly on anything with webbed feet and a heartbeat out to 60+ yards.

BTW, they are still in production...as turkey loads...same cartridge, different bird printed on the box.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby mjk » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:55 am

Yes, these loads I acquired are 'Turkey' loads...

Yuchi1 wrote:August 2011 I walked into our local BPS and noticed some boxes of the Winchester ER in 2 3/4" hull, 1 1/2 oz. of #6's.

They had originally been $32.95/box (10) and marked down to $19.95/box and then, there they were on an end cap at $9.95/box.

In a 36" circle, these print 300X+ with both the (original) PM tube and Terror tube in .681 constriction.

They are absolutely deadly on anything with webbed feet and a heartbeat out to 60+ yards.

BTW, they are still in production...as turkey loads...same cartridge, different bird printed on the box.
mjk
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:24 am

mjk wrote:Yes, these loads I acquired are 'Turkey' loads...

Yuchi1 wrote:August 2011 I walked into our local BPS and noticed some boxes of the Winchester ER in 2 3/4" hull, 1 1/2 oz. of #6's.

I thought the shot in the turkey loads was heavier than in the waterfowl loads?

I've shot hundreds of rounds of the 2 3/4" xtended hd 2's and B's...you can find those if you look hard for under $2 a round.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:17 am

Thank you.

I personally draw the line at $2.00 bucks a pop and as to question B, the 5 and 6 shot is good to 60 yards on ducks and close to that on geese. If you are shooting past that distance then yeas I would shy away from them :wink:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:31 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:on an end cap at $9.95/box. I left with all 31 boxes.

I'd say ya' done good. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Edge » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:40 pm

mudpack wrote:
10gaOkie wrote: Looks like you made a deal that you are more than happy with. I am glad for ya. I have shot the Hi Def stuff before. However, the 2 3/4 regular steel will do everything I need. I dont push my range past 50 yards, the reg steel is more than adequate as a lethal load. I am much happier paying $100 for a case of 250 reg steel than $140 for 100 Hi-D.

I could have written that post myself.
I still have three boxes of Remington Wingmaster HD. I shot two boxes of it several seasons ago and was not impressed. I had a higher kill/shell ratio with standard Remington Nitro Steel.

As to the original question; I'd think someone who wanted the HD stuff would be willing to pay $3/shell for it...seeing as how the load is no longer marketed.

You must have been having a bad day, with the HD. While the RNS was a good steel load, it is not in the same boat as the HD. No way, not even close. I still have about six boxes of HD because when they quit making it I bought all that I could find. I still have almost a case of Tungsten which for me is better than hevi shot, but you can't find it anymore either. I picked up anothe case of hevi shot today after srwearing off of it last year, but at $220 a case, I don't see anything that can beat it. If you find something better,please let us know.
Edge
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes