Duck Hunting Forum banner

Lots of questions for you locals in the near future

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  rism 
#1 ·
I will be moving in march to scott AFB from anchorage and have a ton of questions, ranging from housing to hunting to what do i need to bring down for decoys. I will try to not overload everyone and post all my questions at once. While i dont' post on this site frequantly, i have been on it for a while now. I will start out and give everyone a little back ground on me. I knowi like to have a feel for the kind of person im dealing with before i decide if i want to help them out.

I am in my upper twentys, married and no kids. Born and raised in central Kansas on a farm. My family and inlaws all farm, so i know my way around the country and just about anything with wheels. I have a 13 month old Chessie, this was his first year hunting and he did fantastic. With a little luck we should get our junior hunter title this summer, and be well on our way to senior. He had a 92% recovery rate this year, loves working out of a dog blind and dog stand. We are a currently working through three handed casting and blinds. I have been waterfowl hunting for 12 years give or take and I am decent on a call. I am very dedicated and hardworking when it comes to waterfowl hunting. I promise you won't have to worry about me stealing your spot or talking to your land owners. I have had both done to me in the past, and it chaps my but!! Nothing i can't stand worse than a knife in the back. I have probably around 100 or so duck floaters, 12 goose floaters, 2 dozen duck shells, 2 dozen duck full body's, 12 goose fullbodys. Mallards, gadwalls, pintail, woodys,widgeon, canada's. Most all are avery decoys however i do have a few dakotas and big foots as well. Where i hunt up here it's a two hour drive followed by a 2.5 mile death march.

I gues this is a little long for an introduction, but i am a little long winded on things i am passionate about. Good luck this season, and if anyone would be interested in meeting up when i get down south the beers on me!!

See less See more
#2 ·
It sucks that you're coming to the worst state in the Union, but a welcome is in order nonetheless.

If you're used to driving as far as you currently do to hunt, you should look into hunting Braidwood when you get here. It's by far the best waterfowl hunting in IL, if not the universe.

As far as decoys go, you should have opportunities for both water and field hunts in that area. Bring what you can, but the decoys shouldn't make or break your hunts. There will be enough guys to hunt with a service member that your decoys should be necessary.

Good luck, sorry about IL, and :welcome:

#5 ·
Feelin' Fowl said:
It sucks that you're coming to the worst state in the Union, but a welcome is in order nonetheless.

If you're used to driving as far as you currently do to hunt, you should look into hunting Braidwood when you get here. It's by far the best waterfowl hunting in IL, if not the universe.

As far as decoys go, you should have opportunities for both water and field hunts in that area. Bring what you can, but the decoys shouldn't make or break your hunts. There will be enough guys to hunt with a service member that your decoys should be necessary.

Good luck, sorry about IL, and :welcome:
I assume you're pulling his chain about Braidwood?

#6 ·
around scott there are a bunch of fields not far from there. now water i dont know im sure there is water around. i hunt about 30 mins south of there on the kaskaskia river bottoms and yep you guessed it its a joke. like they said any dekes cant hurt mallards are the deke of choice as im sure you know growing up in kansas. im only abt 20 mins from scott soo if you got any questions then just message me il try and help ya out

#7 ·
Bring your puddler decoys. Not many places divers are needed. There will be several places to hunt with in a hour or so. If you don't mind driving 2hrs you can hunt you can hunt 90 days plus. You have your choice of places which you can draw or places you can freelance. A boat will give you a lot more choices, but not absolutely necessary. The Kaskaskia River isn't bad you just have to find the right spot (Not the easy access areas). I hunt a spot on the river and we do ok for the first few weeks, then move on to bigger water. There are plenty of other choices too. Good luck

#8 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome.
what's the general consensus as far as boats go? For the area's within a 2 or 3 hour drive of scott, would there be a huge benafite to having a boat? i don't have one currently but i am looking at the EBADS very seriously. When i was in arkansas prior to alaska i hunted out of a 1548 war eagle with a 35 mudbuddy on it. Up here i walk to all my spots. I love the idea of being able to boat in set up and hunt. I'm tired of packing 6 dozen decoys, dog stand and ammo 2 miles in one way. Would a smaller one man layout boat like the EBADS work well in that area? Or would i end up kicking myself for limiting where i can hunt do to the size?
If anyone is interested in kinda taking me under their wing once i get there, I am more than willing to take on a hunt back in kansas with me. I have alot of family ground for deer, turkey, geese, upland depending on the year.
thanks for the warm welcome and the help.
matt

#10 ·
A one man boat wouldn't limit you much. Just couldn't use it on larger waters, which is only a small amount of the spots. I strictly walk in and a layout boat is in my future. EBADS would work and will open up some more possibilities. Not sure if you have a dog, so a boat would be necessary at many locations to retrieve birds. A lot of places you can wade to set decoys, but need a dog to retrieve the birds. Personally I plan on going for something light that I can drag a ways if there isn't s boat ramp. (something homemade)I don't like to hunt near the crowds, so go for the harder access spots. Keep in mind that many Illinois lake have a 10 hp limit(at least 10hp decals on a 15). Not sure how much my wings would help as I'm new the the game, but would be willing help as much as possible with my limited skill set. I live about 10-15 mins from the base in Belleville. When you get here look me up and can at least so you around and give you the run down of the local places I hunt.

#11 ·
If you like, contact me when you get here and i will do what i can to get you started on hunting here. It is like a lot of places that have large metropolitan cities. Lots of crowded areas. But if you put in the effort you can get into some good hunting. Just remember that the farther you get away from Chicago the better the chances for good hunting,

Good luck with your move

#12 ·
Click first thank you for your service to our country. My youngest son is stations at Scott so wen you settle in let me know Been chancing ducks in S I'll for 40 years. I would gladly show you around.

#14 ·
From the replies I see to "click" on this site, not to mention the PM's I'm sure he is getting , I am truly Proud of the members on this site!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :beer: :beer: :beer: As a Vietnam Veteran it warms my heart. God Bless all of you and If i was in that area I would offer all the help I could.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.