SNOW!!!

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker

SNOW!!!

Postby redneckgoosebuster22 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:20 pm

whos hunting the snow tomorrow afternoon? id be out in the mornign but work till 6 am so afternoon it is. I got a couple reports from various areas along the big illinois river today of some birds moving in ahead of this front so lets hope tomorrow morning we get our first BIG push!!!!!! keep those record numbers along the river growing! Feet Down wings Cupped thats the way we like to whaaaa?....... :thumbsup:
redneckgoosebuster22
hunter

SNOW!!!

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:26 pm

I will be out tomorrow on Braidwood Lake. Can't wait!

I drove sunset from Mount Pleasant, WI tonight and never seen a single bird flying. I doubt any significant number of birds will push. Too much open water North still. Also, snow coverage is minimal. Will local birds move around? No doubt.
Last edited by KillerKowalski on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Re: SNOW!!!

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:36 pm

I can't decide between Braidwood and Heidecke tomorrow, stopped and got 2 dozen minnows tonight after work so I'm set for tomorrow on either lake. :beer:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Well, you should go to one and I will go to the other. If you are killing, I will just jump in with you or vice versa. :yes:
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby luie b » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:41 pm

I hope this front this week pushes in the mallards and geese for us. I haven't seen many mallards except at the refuge and haven't really seen much to worry about for geese. Haven't even been setting goose decoys up to this part of our season, never saw the point! But hunted this morning and saw 5 or 6 good groups of geese flying high going south and saw more big ducks than I've been seeing lately. The woodies seemed to have mostly moved on so hopefully they'll be replaced by the greenheads! Gonna try my luck in the fields next week!
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:28 am

Lesson learned for all. Anything more than 54 hour forecast most of the time is all interpretation and generated prediction off models that are filled with errors. Those lows all of sudden came up considerably. Even today's flurries pushed back hours.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Was up on top of a 200 foot tall reactor at work today, saw thousands of ducks headed straight for Braidwood. Looks like it's game on!!!
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:04 pm

I went for a drive today and seen 3 huge flocks of hi-flying ducks. Pretty sure they were headed to Braidwood too.
Boocephus
hunter

SNOW!!!

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:15 pm

We saw a lot of migrators today. Actually, everyone I spoke to all saw the same signs being pulled behind the flocks today. "Braidwood or Bust!" Irony in ducking just kills ya. Drove to the South launch and saw Sureshot sitting there. I got closer and saw he was wearing bright orange on. WTH I said. Arm floaties...

Today, limits were shot on geese in fields for three different groups. Guess what. Miles and miles North of Braidwood. Not sure the twelve geese on Braidwood even stayed. They flew North! I smelt the lake on their a**.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:33 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I sure hope this front brings in some new birds. We did o.k. this past week ( not on Braidwood :hi: ) but no where near the number of birds that I am used to seeing/killing by this time of year. I'm am busting out of town on Wednesday this week to get out and try layin the smacketh down on some new-ish birds.

Wishing all of you guys the best of luck, and post up some pics in the 2014 picture thread! :yes:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby redneckgoosebuster22 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:13 pm

well this afternoon was quiet on the river n visibility was low soi could have missed alot but if they moved in it was early dont doubt it one bit tomorrow should be a sit day n wednesday will be the tell all day. good luck to all!
redneckgoosebuster22
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:59 pm

Birds were awkward at best today. Flight was delayed after LST. Nothing would work until around 9 and then halted at 10. We had two flocks commit and stopped finishing three yards above the decoys and flare straight up. Readjusted the decoys to combat it. Another flock never showed to test the theory. Birds definitely pushed in front of the system. It was obvious for anyone out today. Same reports from everyone for this morning. The afternoon shift field hunters got into geese from all over. Took a few today, but nothing great. Another cloudless low pressure system tomorrow.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Jrobey23 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:23 pm

Isnt Braidwood closed Monday-Tuesday. That being said good to hear birds are pushing to the lake just not looking forward to the "Redneck 500" race to the ramp and people taking forever to dump in.
Jrobey23
Newb

Postby luie b » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:52 pm

What are the mallard numbers looking like up in the North Zone?
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:53 pm

Jrobey23 wrote:Isnt Braidwood closed Monday-Tuesday. That being said good to hear birds are pushing to the lake just not looking forward to the "Redneck 500" race to the ramp and people taking forever to dump in.

Take it easy, them Indiana boys might get offended.
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:56 pm

luie b wrote:What are the mallard numbers looking like up in the North Zone?

KK will give update ASAP. :thumbsup:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:01 pm

luie b wrote:What are the mallard numbers looking like up in the North Zone?

We are killing all Mallards. We had some GWT buzz us today. Of course I blinked and they were gone. And, a group of Woddies almost finished and, of course, no one was paying attention. I haven't seen much of any other specie other than Mallard.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:21 am

Today and tomorrow will tell the tale . Wish I was out there . Good Luck everybody ! :thumbsup:
Grossy23
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:02 am

KillerKowalski wrote:Birds were awkward at best today. Flight was delayed after LST. Nothing would work until around 9 and then halted at 10. We had two flocks commit and stopped finishing three yards above the decoys and flare straight up. Readjusted the decoys to combat it. Another flock never showed to test the theory. Birds definitely pushed in front of the system. It was obvious for anyone out today. Same reports from everyone for this morning. The afternoon shift field hunters got into geese from all over. Took a few today, but nothing great. Another cloudless low pressure system tomorrow.

today is high pressure. typically, cloudless days are a product of high pressure
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:57 am

Thank you for the correction. Mbs are on the thousands today. Typing yesterday was hard after staying up 30+ straight hours with a 16 hour shift in there.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby huntswithmutts » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:37 pm

I was out yestday hunting west of Braidwood. Saw a decent amount of high flying birds that appeared to migrators. We were shooting mostly mallards and GWT. Great day off of work.
huntswithmutts
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:12 pm

I'm north of u guys. (Lake county) A lot of mallards. buffleheads and goldeneyes here. Few shovelers. Haven't seen a woody in weeks.
malrdmasher
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting