Interesting Week Ahead

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: KCDuckMaster, SPatrick, birddog crazy, 870shooter

Interesting Week Ahead

Postby Cliner » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:09 am

With some serious cold fronts coming in, I like the chances we pick up a few ducks this week. I also imagine we will lose some with the cold temps down here, but it's snowing in SD and it's 22 degrees. Should help our cause a little bit. May try to sneak away on Wednesday and take a day off work. I would bet that most of this week would be pretty darn good. What say you?
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Re: Interesting Week Ahead

Postby matt9966 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:41 am

I say you are correct sir! I will be taking a 4 hour extended lunch break (going to shoot my lunch is how I phrased that to the boss :lol3: ) on Tuesday then will be coming in late on Wed.

This front has me as excited as a kid on xmas morning - but then again I am easily excited

Happy hunting this week to those who are lucky enough to have a bit of flexibility in their schedule

AND [b]happy veterans day to any and all vets out here on DHC[/b]! Thank you for what you did or are doing! We all wouldn't be chasing ducks or goats this week without your sacrifices :beer:
matt9966
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:45 am

Should be a great push! Watch the poor lines grow! I hope to sneak out of work Wednesday morning because Tuesday is not an option. Another push again early next week too, and I will be all over that one. Its beginning folks, red legs are coming!
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby sehunter1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:59 am

Cliner wrote:With some serious cold fronts coming in, I like the chances we pick up a few ducks this week. I also imagine we will lose some with the cold temps down here, but it's snowing in SD and it's 22 degrees. Should help our cause a little bit. May try to sneak away on Wednesday and take a day off work. I would bet that most of this week would be pretty darn good. What say you?

I came up with the exact same plan, leave class early tuesday and take off work wednesday! If the forecast holds the week after the deer opener is lookin awful nice too :thumbsup:
sehunter1
hunter

Postby Cut'm » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:54 am

headed out this afternoon ahead of the front.
Cut'm
hunter

Postby Cliner » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:33 am

Cut'm wrote:headed out this afternoon ahead of the front.

I don't think that's a bad idea. Seems the birds have arrived just before or in the beginning of the fronts. Might catch a good push of new ones. I think these birds will be fresh all week though.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby PDO » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:44 pm

It. is. on.

PO
PDO
hunter

Postby Eureka » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:23 pm

Shot a two man limit of greenheads this afternoon
Eureka
hunter

Postby MODAKR » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:41 am

hunted Chariton county yesterday. was a pretty much steady flight of birds starting at 11am til sunset. was a few gaps where i didn't see anything. so they were definitely moving. problem was they were sky high and not stopping, at least where i was at.
MODAKR
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:55 am

Hunted last night, saw some good flights of birds. Put a group of 50 in the decoys and ended up with 6 birds for the evening. The big group was undoubtedly flight birds.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:29 am

yeah the day BEFORE the BIG front is normally the big push!! And normally a nice warm day for the hunter :wink: Nothing like hunting in the 50's with big groups of mallards come from the N circling in from the heavens!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Cut'm » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:56 am

Hunted from 230 - sunset......4 guys. 7 mallards, 4 gadwal, 1 teal, 1 shovler. Thousands and thousands of ducks headed into one of our fine CA's. I'd bet they picked up 50K birds last night. It was a hell of a show.....group after group of 100-200.

Had to be one of the biggest pushes in early/mid Nov that we've ever had. Hope there's a few more days like that!!
Cut'm
hunter

Postby BigMuddy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:00 pm

Been waiting for this too--Deer Season !--First good push of ducks seems to happen every year around that time , might just hav't take a few days off .

Good Luck , Have Fun and Be Safe this duck season !

Big Muddy
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby sehunter1 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:26 pm

Have the last two days been good to anybody? I tried but drew next to last one day and last pick the next. :fingerhead: did get a doe one afternoon. Had high hopes but oh well, new front coming tuesday :thumbsup:
sehunter1
hunter

Postby Cliner » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:10 pm

sehunter1 wrote:Have the last two days been good to anybody? I tried but drew next to last one day and last pick the next. :fingerhead: did get a doe one afternoon. Had high hopes but oh well, new front coming tuesday :thumbsup:

Hammered em this morning. 3 man limit in an hour or so. Lots of mallards.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby sehunter1 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:10 pm

Cliner wrote:
sehunter1 wrote:Have the last two days been good to anybody? I tried but drew next to last one day and last pick the next. :fingerhead: did get a doe one afternoon. Had high hopes but oh well, new front coming tuesday :thumbsup:

Hammered em this morning. 3 man limit in an hour or so. Lots of mallards.

Good. At least somebody got into em. Jealousy is a stinky cologne though
sehunter1
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:41 am

I am about to start placing bets in vegas on a veterans day migration. Had our biggest push of the year last year on vets day as well.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby bps_12 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:19 pm

Went yesterday and shot a 4 man limit by noon. All green for the first 16, then drake pintails for the rest. Maybe the easiest hit I've ever had as far as picking out ducks to shoot. Hell, my buddy who started last year could identify most of them correctly. The wind didn't matter, and in my opinion we stuck out like a sore thumb which I absolutely hate...but we still had ducks working us and committing. Even without calling much. It was nice. Been a while since I had been on a hunt like that.

Yeah, we could have limited out if we had shot at shovelers and teal before the big bull pintail pimps came around, and I'm glad we choose to wait it out a little longer. If I had Facebook I'd be posting pictures like it was my job. :) but I don't so I'll have to settle for the old fashoned person to person story...maybe showing them a picture or two.
bps_12
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting