Spoonies

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: 870shooter, birddog crazy, SPatrick

Spoonies

Postby MOduckMOfun » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Was trying to convince some guys at the boat ramp yesterday that spoonies were good eating (IMO). I like them, but they were just gonna feed them to their dog. Mind you, they were all wearing duck commander gear and seemed pretty new to the sport.

Just curious though, how many of you seasoned veterans will eat a good shoveler now and again?
MOduckMOfun
hunter

Re: Spoonies

Postby sehunter1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:51 pm

I eat em, have for years. They just need a little more care in your prep work. Soak them longer, marinade them longer. You can't treat them like a mallard because well, they aren't mallards. I find them best in a dish like gumbo where they can take on other flavors. I've been told coots can be made palatable but I haven't gotten that brave.
sehunter1
hunter

Postby MOduckMOfun » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:16 pm

Sprinkle heavily with garlic salt and wrap in bacon. Leave them medium rare. Taste like filet mignon.
MOduckMOfun
hunter

Postby Cliner » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:00 pm

MOduckMOfun wrote:Sprinkle heavily with garlic salt and wrap in bacon. Leave them medium rare. Taste like filet mignon.

Easy there, turbo. I wouldn't go that far. Yes, I've eaten them, they taste about like every other duck the way I prepare them. I always throw them all in the same marinade, buttermilk, etc. I've never been able to pick them out of the bunch. The only ones I can really tell the difference on are divers. All that being said, I still have tried to pass on them this year more than others.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby iamduckhead » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:57 pm

used to pass on them, then around 79/1980 or so I bumped into a biologist after a hunt at duck creek and he told me that spoonies eating fish was a myth. He told me that the way the bill is designed they can't eat fish, it is specifically designed for vegetation. I have eaten many shovelers since and when fixed with mallards or woodies I cannot tell a difference.
iamduckhead
hunter

Postby sehunter1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:41 pm

iamduckhead wrote:used to pass on them, then around 79/1980 or so I bumped into a biologist after a hunt at duck creek and he told me that spoonies eating fish was a myth. He told me that the way the bill is designed they can't eat fish, it is specifically designed for vegetation. I have eaten many shovelers since and when fixed with mallards or woodies I cannot tell a difference.

I'm not saying in a dish with mixed ducks like a stew or gumbo I would be able to tell a spoonie apart from other ducks. But I cook mallards like steak a lot and when salted, peppered, and lightly grilled I can pretty much always tell a shoveler breast from a mallards.
sehunter1
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:11 pm

I dont care, I'll shoot one without a second thought. I'll shoot any legal duck, I have fun doing it and I do eat everything I kill.

I can tell a difference when I eat them depending on how they are cooked, but I still shovel it on down!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Normmcclean » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:23 pm

Grew up hunting in mexico where they are called Mexican mallards and are one of the main ducks harvested. Soak in salt water for a couple hours then dip in egg the toss them in a 50/50 mic of corn meal and progresso bread crumbs fry strips in olive oil 2 minutes to a side and you have something special
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:22 pm

sehunter1 wrote:They just need a little more care in your prep work. Soak them longer, marinade them longer.

This. I've ate many shoveler in my days, and if you cook them right they can taste just fine.

sehunter1 wrote:I've been told coots can be made palatable but I haven't gotten that brave.

Living in Louisiana where the poule d'eau (coot) population density is thicker than mosquitos, and I can say that some cajun cooking can turn the coot into some mighty fine gumbo; but then again cajun cooking can turn just about anything into a mighty fine gumbo.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:59 am

I have learned over the years that trash ducks get a pass as not to waste a shell shooting them. I would rather walk out empty handed as to kill a trash duck.
swampchicken
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:01 pm

swampchicken wrote:I have learned over the years that trash ducks get a pass as not to waste a shell shooting them. I would rather walk out empty handed as to kill a trash duck.

One man's trash.... Anothers man's treasure.

I am still trying to get a mature fully plumed Drake Shoveler to have mounted. I think they rank right up there with the woodies as being a colorful and beautiful duck.
Attachments
4527357167_8e3802ec10_z.jpg
1NorthernShovelerMale.jpg
Budweiser ProStaff
Team Biscuits and Gravy (no better team exists!)
Victorias Secrets Catalog Model Recruiter
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby MODuckkiller » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:34 pm

swampchicken wrote:I have learned over the years that trash ducks get a pass as not to waste a shell shooting them. I would rather walk out empty handed as to kill a trash duck.

What qualifies them as a "trash duck"? I have a sneaking suspicion it's nothing more than your ability to cook. :thumbsup:
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:47 pm

870shooter wrote:

One man's trash.... Anothers man's treasure.

I am still trying to get a mature fully plumed Drake Shoveler to have mounted. I think they rank right up there with the woodies as being a colorful and beautiful duck.

Proud to say my 4th mount is going to be the shoveler pictured in the second photo. Unfortunately I do not have a better picture as rain set in heavily that day only moments after the picture was taken.

He is preceded by a drake canvasback flying mount, a giant canada goose hanging mount, and a mallard drake hanging mount. I took him in along side the specklebelly in the first picture to be made into a walking mount.

So indeed, one man's trash, another's treasure. A drake can, a drake mallard, a giant canada goose, a specklebelly, and a shoveler.
Attachments
specks.jpg
DSCF96800.jpg
shoveler
DSCF96800.jpg (59.55 KiB) Viewed 991 times
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:48 pm

I was curious about what other ducks besides spoonies should be considered "trash ducks". After a little research this is what I found. I think all of these can be classified as "trash ducks".
2711250262_bcccd4fa4e_z.jpg
thCA1KGKHF.jpg
thCA1KGKHF.jpg (9.78 KiB) Viewed 975 times
thCA75CKBH.jpg
thCA75CKBH.jpg (18.79 KiB) Viewed 975 times
Rubber_Duck.jpg
Rubber_Duck.jpg (173.99 KiB) Viewed 975 times
thCA2ZSRFU.jpg
Maybe not a "trash" duck but an awful nerdy duck, I wouldn't shoot it either!
thCA2ZSRFU.jpg (6.77 KiB) Viewed 975 times
Budweiser ProStaff
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby swampchicken » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:51 pm

MODuckkiller wrote:

What qualifies them as a "trash duck"? I have a sneaking suspicion it's nothing more than your ability to cook. :thumbsup:

Oh I can and do cook many ducks many ways that are very good and have had many duck hunters come into camp that couldn't beliveve that they just ate duck.
swampchicken
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:52 pm

swampchicken wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:

Oh I can and do cook many ducks many ways that are very good and have had many duck hunters come into camp that couldn't beliveve that they just ate duck.

I bet.

So then what qualifies a duck as a "trash duck" in your opinion? What other ducks are "trash ducks"?
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:39 pm

MODuckkiller wrote:
swampchicken wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:

I bet.

So then what qualifies a duck as a "trash duck" in your opinion? What other ducks are "trash ducks"?

When you dont tell them whats in the gumbo till after they ate it. It will usually suprise them. Lets see now what do i call trash ducks or also referred by me as scrap ducks include ringneck, bluebill, all megansers, redheads, and bootlips is a few i can think of off hand that a hunter must be desperate to kill.
swampchicken
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:53 pm

swampchicken wrote:When you dont tell them whats in the gumbo till after they ate it. It will usually suprise them. Lets see now what do i call trash ducks, or also referred by me as scrap ducks, include ringneck, bluebill, all megansers, redheads, and bootlips is a few i can think of off hand that a hunter must be desperate to kill.

That a hunter must be desperate to kill, IN YOUR OPINION. You present that statement like it is a fact. Sorry, it is nothing more than opinion and the same old saying about excuses and certain anatomy also apply to opinions. Everyone has one and some really stink.
Budweiser ProStaff
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby MODuckkiller » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:22 pm

swampchicken wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:
swampchicken wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:

I bet.

When you dont tell them whats in the gumbo till after they ate it. It will usually suprise them. Lets see now what do i call trash ducks or also referred by me as scrap ducks include ringneck, bluebill, all megansers, redheads, and bootlips is a few i can think of off hand that a hunter must be desperate to kill.

:lol3:
Desperate to kill? How about putting meat on the table, jack? Which reverts me back to the original statement, if you can cook it well, and it's in season, I don't see why anything is considered "trash". The only thing that is commonplace in some of the birds you mentioned is difficult cleaning of the bird. Which just further adds to my argument, you might be a lousy cook, or maybe a lousy butcher (for lack of a better word). Maybe not.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby franchifowler » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:27 am

swampchicken wrote:Lets see now what do i call trash ducks or also referred by me as scrap ducks include ringneck, bluebill, all megansers, redheads, and bootlips is a few i can think of off hand that a hunter must be desperate to kill.

chicken just named almost all the birds on my wish list! if these are "trash ducks" that you pass on on a regular basis we need to switch spots!
franchifowler
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:02 am

MODuckkiller wrote:
swampchicken wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:
swampchicken wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:

I bet.

Desperate to kill? How about putting meat on the table, jack? Which reverts me back to the original statement, if you can cook it well, and it's in season, I don't see why anything is considered "trash". The only thing that is commonplace in some of the birds you mentioned is difficult cleaning of the bird. Which just further adds to my argument, you might be a lousy cook, or maybe a lousy butcher (for lack of a better word). Maybe not.

not a bad cook nor a lousy butcher since i have butchered many animals even some not wild. as to putting meat on the table i guess butchering a side of beef counts right, I sure do like it when they been corn fed for 210 days.
swampchicken
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:28 pm

swampchicken wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:
swampchicken wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:
swampchicken wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:

I bet.

not a bad cook nor a lousy butcher since i have butchered many animals even some not wild. as to putting meat on the table i guess butchering a side of beef counts right, I sure do like it when they been corn fed for 210 days.

I fail to see the relevance here. But then again, I've failed to see much relevance in much of anything you've ever posted. Trollers gonna troll.
Last edited by MODuckkiller on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:12 pm

swampchicken wrote: Lets see now what do i call trash ducks or also referred by me as scrap ducks include ringneck, bluebill, all megansers, redheads, and bootlips is a few i can think of off hand that a hunter must be desperate to kill.

I bet there are many people that would love a shot at or proud that they didn't pass on these "trash ducks".
1023110851.jpg
Oh my God, look at the facepaint!! What a rookie, Duck Commander wannabe.
IMGP6005.jpg
p1292366562108392.png
Double banded bluebill
p1292366562108392.png (316.03 KiB) Viewed 775 times
thCA59O9QK.jpg
thCA59O9QK.jpg (16.62 KiB) Viewed 775 times
thCAM3T1AA.jpg
thCAM3T1AA.jpg (21.55 KiB) Viewed 775 times
Budweiser ProStaff
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby MODuckkiller » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:28 pm

I mean the scientists need to know information on flight patterns of trash ducks so swampy knows where not to hunt. :hammer: :hammer:
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby Cliner » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:30 pm

franchifowler wrote:
swampchicken wrote:Lets see now what do i call trash ducks or also referred by me as scrap ducks include ringneck, bluebill, all megansers, redheads, and bootlips is a few i can think of off hand that a hunter must be desperate to kill.

chicken just named almost all the birds on my wish list! if these are "trash ducks" that you pass on on a regular basis we need to switch spots!

Hell, I think that's the first time me and chicken have agreed on something all season. Justin, go get access to a farm pond, you'll see all the above.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Next

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting