Weird problem with SBE II

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, La. Hunter, Preacher1011, lostpup, #1wingnut

Postby AB_Gunner » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:47 pm

Today was on a hunt and the gun (SBE II) would occasionally not fire. I would get 1 shot off, then 2nd would just get a click. Or I would get a click on first shot, pull the handle back to load another and the next shot would fire. This seemed to be completely random.

-The shells were ones I always use(tried a few different sized shells/brands, no fix)
-The temperature was about 8 F and -4 F with windchill
-I have hunted with the gun to about -20F before

This summer I cleaned the gun out with G96 and coated mostly everything with it. This is the only thing I can think of? Is it no good in the cold?

Any ideas...it has me stumped. :help:
AB_Gunner
hunter

Re: Weird problem with SBE II

Postby possumfoot » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:50 pm

pull your bolt apart (pull the firing pin, spring, ect) and pull trigger assembly.. soak in warm water and dawn dish soap.. rinse, dry and assemble.. only other thing would be your recoil spring is gummed up and the bolt is not going in to battery.
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:51 pm

Wolf spring kit so Ive heard
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:03 pm

Buy a Beretta.
t_baker
hunter

Postby AB_Gunner » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:19 pm

possumfoot wrote:pull your bolt apart (pull the firing pin, spring, ect) and pull trigger assembly.. soak in warm water and dawn dish soap.. rinse, dry and assemble.. only other thing would be your recoil spring is gummed up and the bolt is not going in to battery.

The gun had never done this before...think it would start all of a sudden? Or could the cold weather have more of a negative effect?

t_baker wrote:Buy a Beretta.

Not looking to downgrade... :thumbsup:
AB_Gunner
hunter

Postby cn44 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:41 pm

When it's cold and I have gloves on sometimes I don't get the 3rd shell pushed in all the way in, this will cause the shells not to cycle. Possibly was happening to you.
cn44
hunter

Postby Get the green » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:06 pm

AB_Gunner wrote:Today was on a hunt and the gun (SBE II) would occasionally not fire. I would get 1 shot off, then 2nd would just get a click. Or I would get a click on first shot, pull the handle back to load another and the next shot would fire. This seemed to be completely random.

-The shells were ones I always use(tried a few different sized shells/brands, no fix)
-The temperature was about 8 F and -4 F with windchill
-I have hunted with the gun to about -20F before

This summer I cleaned the gun out with G96 and coated mostly everything with it. This is the only thing I can think of? Is it no good in the cold?

Any ideas...it has me stumped. :help:

Sounds like the bolt is not slamming all the way on the 2nd because its gummed up.. I would think it would have something to do with the G96...
Get the green
hunter

Postby AB_Gunner » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:26 pm

Get the green wrote:Sounds like the bolt is not slamming all the way on the 2nd because its gummed up.. I would think it would have something to do with the G96...

What would be best way to remove the G96? Is there a spray to get rid of it? I am going to give the gun a good cleaning and I want this G96 stuff off in the process.
AB_Gunner
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:31 pm

I've heard people reference the Benelli click. Is this what they are talking about?
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby Get the green » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:00 pm

AB_Gunner wrote:
Get the green wrote:Sounds like the bolt is not slamming all the way on the 2nd because its gummed up.. I would think it would have something to do with the G96...

What would be best way to remove the G96? Is there a spray to get rid of it? I am going to give the gun a good cleaning and I want this G96 stuff off in the process.

I use the break free powder blast without lube. After it's clean and dry use only 2-3 drops of Benelli oil.
Get the green
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:22 pm

If the primers aren't dented there is a good chance your problem is the gun not going into battery. The Wolff +25% recoil spring clears the problem right up. I ran 10k rounds through mine and got 10 years before I had to replace it, the sbe guns seem to have this problem more frequently than the m series guns.

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby T Man » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:24 pm

La. Hunter wrote:I've heard people reference the Benelli click. Is this what they are talking about?

Yup. Not enough spring pressure to lock the bolt into battery.

Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Troutslayer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:49 pm

Ha, I wouldn't classify your problem as "weird". I would use words like standard, normal, common and typical to describe your problem. There is even a term for it- "the Benelli click". Wolf spring will help, but not completely alleviate. The only real solution to your "weird" problem is to get rid of that clicking pos and get yourself something that goes boom every time you pull the trigger.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:39 am

I'll buy that POS off of you. Since it only fires about half the time, I'll give you 1/2 of new :thumbsup:
“The Blue Book says we've got to go out and it doesn't say a damn thing about having to come back.” -
Captain Patrick Etheridge, USLSS
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:48 am

It's the firing pin. It rotates. If it doesn't rotate all the way, it won't fire. Replace the spring and bang on :thumbsup:
TEAM T&A / OUTLAW
2013 / 2014 Season

KY:
Canadas: 121
Snows: 1
Ducks: 102
WI
Geese: 0
Ducks: 5

Haddix Game Calls Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:53 am

T Man wrote:If the primers aren't dented there is a good chance your problem is the gun not going into battery. The Wolff +25% recoil spring clears the problem right up. I ran 10k rounds through mine and got 10 years before I had to replace it, the sbe guns seem to have this problem more frequently than the m series guns.

This^^

If you pull your bolt back and gently slide it forward until it stops moving. You should notice that the "rotating head" did not fully rotate into firing position. If you pull the hammer back all the way and release it (letting it slam forward) you should see the bolt completely close (if working properly).
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:39 am

Troutslayer wrote:Ha, I wouldn't classify your problem as "weird". I would use words like standard, normal, common and typical to describe your problem.........The only real solution to your "weird" problem is to get rid of that clicking pos and get yourself something that goes boom every time you pull the trigger.

^^^ This guy clearly is not biased, and does not have an agenda ^^^
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:52 am

To the OP you can get a good deal on a new gun at Gander Mountain if you don't mind working part time
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:58 am

GomerPyle wrote:
Troutslayer wrote:Ha, I wouldn't classify your problem as "weird". I would use words like standard, normal, common and typical to describe your problem.........The only real solution to your "weird" problem is to get rid of that clicking pos and get yourself something that goes boom every time you pull the trigger.

Definately not. He probably sings the praises of the quality control at Remington though. Or Browning, whos most original idea in the last 20 years has been to copy Benelli's intertia system.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:01 am

Sell it to me then buy a Mossberg :yes:
“The Blue Book says we've got to go out and it doesn't say a damn thing about having to come back.” -
Captain Patrick Etheridge, USLSS
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:02 am

T Man wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:

Definately not. He probably sings the praises of the quality control at Remington though. Or Browning, whos most original idea in the last 20 years has been to copy Benelli's intertia system.

I am pretty sure that benelli stole the inertia system from someone else .
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:16 am

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
I am pretty sure that benelli stole the inertia system from someone else .

Browning had a long recoil system in the original A5 that Remington got the patent for and produced some guns built on the same principle, but as far as I know, the inertia system was all Benelli.

From Wiki, so take it with a grain of salt:
. Inertia operation was developed by Paolo Benelli in the early 1980s and patented in 1986. Until 2012, all inertia-operated firearms either were made by Benelli, or used a design licensed from Benelli, such as the Franchi Affinity. Then the Browning Arms Company introduced the inertia-operated A5 (trademarked as Kinematic Drive) as successor to the recently discontinued, long-recoil operated Auto-5. Both the Benelli and Browning systems are based on a rotating locking bolt, similar to that used in many gas-operated firearms.

Sorry if I touched a nerve with some Remington or Browning people. Browning builds some excellent guns, and Remington has too, I was just trying to prove the point that there is no mass produced gun on the market that is infallible.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby AB_Gunner » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:20 am

I am going to the local hunting store to see if they have some wolff recoil springs. Long shot but worth a try before I have to purchase off internet.

To all the guys talking crap about Benelli...this gun has been used extensively for hunting waterfowl in AB for the past 5 years and has never had a hiccup. It's already paid for itself as far as I'm concerned.
AB_Gunner
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:33 am

T Man wrote:I was just trying to prove the point that there is no mass produced gun on the market that is infallible.

Exactly......you want a gun that is guaranteed to go *Bang* virtually 100% of the time, regardless of weather conditions or other factors? go buy a single-shot. when you're dealing with anything mechanical, there are always going to be issues that come up from time to time. and the more moving parts, the more likely that is.
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:35 am

GomerPyle wrote:
T Man wrote:I was just trying to prove the point that there is no mass produced gun on the market that is infallible.

Exactly......you want a gun that is guaranteed to go *Bang* virtually 100% of the time, regardless of weather conditions or other factors? go buy a single-shot. when you're dealing with anything mechanical, there are always going to be issues that come up from time to time. and the more moving parts, the more likely that is.

It's just particularly pervasive with Benelli products.
This is the Internet. This is serious.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to The Honey Hole